quinton-jackson-36.jpgViacom is expected to announce plans to go head-to-head with pay-per-view juggernaut Zuffa LLC and its UFC 168 offering at next week’s Bellator 97 event on Spike TV.

An unveiling of Bellator fighter Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s plans with the promotion will likely include a pay-per-view boxing match with former multi-division boxing champ Roy Jones Jr., multiple sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The fight is expected to take place at the end of the year, though a date and weight class for the bout could not immediately be confirmed. It’s also unclear how the event will be branded given Bellator and parent company Viacom’s focus on MMA.

“We’ve been talking to Roy and his people over a potential ‘Rampage’ vs. Roy fight for over seven months,” a representative from Jackson’s longtime team, Wolfslair MMA, told MMAjunkie.com. The rep requested anonymity due to the ongoing negotiations related to the matchup.

“If it happens, it would be an incredible fight,” the rep said. “Boxing and MMA have both been discussed, and (Bellator Chairman and CEO) Bjorn (Rebney) has been in these discussions every step of the way. I can’t say much more than that. We’ll see what happens.”

Bellator MMA officials declined to comment on the possible event.

Jones, who owns a 56-8 boxing record, recently was in discussions with the UFC for a possible fight with the promotion’s middleweight champ, Anderson Silva, who lobbied for several years to fight the 44-year-old Jones in the squared circle. That, however, was before Silva’s title was ripped from his hands by Chris Weidman, who knocked him out earlier this month at UFC 162. The two are scheduled to rematch Dec. 28 in Las Vegas at UFC 168, which continues the organization’s annual tradition of big year-end cards.

Jackson (32-11 MMA, 0-0 BFC), a former UFC light-heavyweight champion who hasn’t boxed professionally, earlier this year signed a multi-year deal to fight in Bellator and appear as a pro wrestler with TNA Wrestling, in addition to developing a four-part reality show and movie projects with Viacom, which owns a majority stake in the MMA promotion.

Until now, Jackson’s fighting plans remained unknown. The 35-year-old most recently appeared in the UFC octagon, where he fulfilled his contract in a losing effort against Glover Teixeira at UFC on FOX 6 in January. It marked his third consecutive MMA loss.

Jackson blamed his skid on his soured relationship with the UFC and repeatedly expressed a desire to box professionally. During a June press conference announcing his new deal with Bellator, he said he would turn over a new leaf.

“The deal they gave me set me up for the future, and when other fighters really understand this deal they gave me, I think a lot of other fighters that are not happy with their contract in other shows are going to come to Bellator, and the competition is going to come over,” Jackson said.

For the latest on Bellator 97, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Quinton Jackson)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

WSOF exec: Champ Lance Palmer's next opponent to be determined at WSOF 24

  • 5 days ago

WSOF featherweight champ Lance Palmer is expected to seek the second successful defense of his belt in December, and according to WSOF officials, his opponent will likely be determined next Saturday read news >>

'Wonderboy' Thompson wants Saffiedine, injury-replacement slot or January return

  • 6 days ago

Stephen Thompson said he was targeted for a fight with Tarec Saffiedine after his highlight-reel win over Jake Ellenberger in July. But a knee injury scratched that immediate possibility, and now he’ read news >>

CM Punk Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Shoulder and Return

  • 7 days ago

The UFC has yet to announce when CM Punk will make his debut, and the former WWE star will have to wait to get his mixed martial arts career underway after suffering a shoulder injury in training. Co read news >>

Cain Velasquez says title rematch vs. Fabricio Werdum targeted for March in Brazil

  • 11 days ago

The heavyweight title rematch between Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez was previously announced for next year, and now the bout has a targeted month and location.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Irwin Rivera Undefeated Heading into Legacy FC 46; He Expected Nothing Less

  • 11 days ago

Training with the famed Blackzilians camp, Irwin Rivera expected nothing less than to be undefeated heading into Friday's Legacy FC 46 main event. read news >>

The Comeback: Franklin retires, UFC's optimistic NYC plans, cereal-box trash-talk

  • 14 days ago

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMA junkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Monday’s biggest headlines, catch up with “The Comeback.”Filed under: Featu read news >>

Lyoto Machida Plans Early 2016 Return, Wants Michael Bisping

  • 19 days ago

Lyoto Machida is smelling the roses. After fighting twice in three months earlier this year, the current UFC middleweight and former light heavyweight champion is apparently taking an extended break read news >>

Bellator champ Liam McGeary star-struck by Tito Ortiz but plans to make name off him

  • 26 days ago

Liam McGeary was 16 when Tito Ortiz won his first UFC title in 2000. As they ready for a title fight in Saturday’s Bellator 142 main event, McGeary admitted he’s been a bit star-struck by the challen read news >>

Nick Diaz's team plans further legal action after 'kangaroo court' suspension

  • 28 days ago

LAS VEGAS – Nick Diaz’s attorney blasted a five-year suspension handed down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and said legal action against the regulatory body is forthcoming.Filed under: Featu read news >>