Prospect Bezerra Has Designs on Bellator Reign


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
Bellator Fighting Championships has a valuable commodity in Alexandre Bezerra, a 24-year-old featherweight with star potential.

Bezerra (11-1, 3-0 BFC) will face UFC veteran Douglas Evans in a featherweight matchup at Bellator 57 on Saturday at the Casino Rama in Rama, Ontario, Canada. He has torn through his first three foes inside the promotion, finishing two of them -- Sam Jones and Jesse Gross -- inside one round. However, Bezerra chases perfection, not necessarily violent conclusions.

“I never go into my fights looking for the finish,” he said. “My main focus when I enter the cage is to make as few mistakes as possible. To me, it doesn’t matter how I win, just as long as I win.”

Bezerra (Pictured, File Photo) put away Scott Heckman with second-round punches at Bellator 49 in September and has not gone the distance in more than three years. Heckman entered the cage on a three-fight winning streak and had never before been stopped by strikes. Even so, a tapout remains Bezerra’s ending of choice.

“It definitely feels great to knock my opponent out, but because I came from a Brazilian jiu-jitsu background, I prefer the submission,” he said. “It’s a great feeling to feel another man tap inside the cage.”

On a career-best six-fight winning streak, Bezerra suffered his only professional defeat in 2009, when he submitted to an anaconda choke from current UFC lightweight Charles Oliveira in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Evans, a 31-year-old Alaskan, would like nothing more than to halt his run of success in the cage.

“I don’t think anything about Doug Evans, to be honest,” Bezerra said. “I really don’t know much about him. The opponent is not important. It’s all about me going out there and doing what I’m good at. I’m going to be very aggressive in this fight. I want to send a message with this win over Evans that I’m on the road to becoming the next Bellator featherweight world champion.”

Bezerra does not plan on allowing Evans to interfere with his goals.

“I don’t feel like Doug Evans is standing in my way,” he said. “Honestly, I don’t feel like there’s anyone or anything that can stop me from achieving my dream.”

A spot in the next Bellator 145-pound tournament seems all but a certainty for Bezerra, provided he does not stub his toe against Evans. He has his sights set on promotional gold, which currently rests around the waist of Joe Warren.

“Winning that Bellator title is going to mean everything to me,” Bezerra said. “It’s going to show that all the hard work and sacrifices I’ve had to go through to get there had been worth it.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 11 views

After going to a decision in his last two fights, Lyman Good proved Saturday that he still has plenty of power left in his fists at Cage Fury Fighting Championships 36. more

  • 14 days ago
  • 78 views

American Brazilian Jiu Jitsu standouts Rafael Lovato Jr and Justin Rader sign multiple fight deals with Legacy Fighting Championships. Legacy Fighting President Mick Maynard has confirmed that American Brazilian Jiu Jitsu champions Rafael Lovato Jr and Justin Rader has signed multiple fight deals with Legacy Fighting Championships and make their debuts on September 26 at the Hard Rock Casino in Tulsa, Oklahoma on the LFC 35 fight card. Rafeal Lovato Jr. announced about a month ago that he was se more

  • 10 days ago
  • 19 views

On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with Pennsylvania-based Xtreme Fight Events. more

  • 10 days ago
  • 21 views

On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with Pennsylvania-based Xtreme Fight Events. more

  • 26 days ago
  • 22 views

If you missed Bellator MMA’s recent pay-per-view debut, you can watch a replay next month on Spike TV.Filed under: Bellator, News more

  • 26 days ago
  • 42 views

But insists the releases were done prior to the hiring of former Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker. Bellator MMA, which fired Bjorn Rebney just last week, has also said goodbye to 19 fighters under contract for the Viacom-owned mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, including former title challengers Eric Prindle (heavyweight) and Anthony Leone (bantamweight). Here is the complete list of releases (via MMA Fighting): Eric PrindleAnthony LeoneRodrigo LimaFrank BacaNick KirkTravis MarxHiroshi NakamuraSerge more

  • 26 days ago
  • 27 views

Several names were removed from Bellator’s roster. Bellator officials confirmed to MMAFighting.com on Wednesday that 19 fighters were released from the promotion, including former title challengers Eric Prindle and Anthony Leone. The list was initially posted on Sherdog Forum. The list also includes Frank Baca, Nick Kirk, Travis Marx, Hiroshi Nakamura, Rodrigo Lima, Sergej Grecicho, Jared Downing, Jason Fischer, Tim Welch, Nathan Coy, Anthony Lemon, Trey Houston, Vaughn Anderson, Keith Berry, Je more

  • 26 days ago
  • 30 views

Thomas Almeida got what he wanted. The Chute Boxe bantamweight told MMAFighting.com last week that he wanted to knock Caio Machado out to win the Legacy FC 135-pound title and sign with the UFC, and that’s exactly what happened. According to sources close to the situation, he signed a deal with the UFC on Tuesday. MMA Premium first reported the news. Almeida stopped Machado with 33 seconds left in the first round to win the Legacy FC gold, improving to 17-0 in MMA with 17 finishes. He got past t more

  • 27 days ago
  • 57 views

Titan Fighting Championship on Tuesday announced that title bouts will take place on the promotion’s upcoming cards in August and September. more