Eddie Wineland vs George Roop at WEC 46Eddie Wineland fights to win.

And when he steps into the Octagon at UFC 155 on Saturday night, he sees that same “fight to win” type of fighter in Brad Pickett, his opponent.

“There’s people that come to ‘fight not to lose’ and then there’s people that come ‘to fight to win.’ I think Brad and myself are both people that come to fight to win,” Wineland said recently on MMAWeekly Radio.

That makes for a dangerous fight. Wineland is going to have to be at the top of his game every moment of the fight in order to walk out of the cage with a victory. But that’s how he wants it.

He doesn’t want to rack up 10 easy victories to try and get to a title shot. Wineland wants to fight the top fighters on deck now, put on the best fights that he knows how, and let the chips fall where they may.

“I think (Pickett’s) been fighting just as long as I have. He’s experienced, he’s smart, he’s a dangerous fighter,” said Wineland. “I’m not looking for easy fights; I’m looking to test myself. I want the best of the best. I think that’s both where we’re at. I think we’re both gonna go in and put a good show on.”

That’s why, despite back to back losses to Urijah Faber and Joseph Benavidez to start off his UFC career, Wineland believes he and Pickett are both just a step or two away from a possible bantamweight title shot.

“I think the winner of this is very deserving of a No. 1 contendership spot or No. 1 contendership fight,” Wineland told MMAWeekly.com.

Whether the winner is deemed next up for a title shot or not, however, Wineland is happy just to keep plowing forward. He has goals, to be sure, but the key goal is to keep on fighting.

“At the end of the day, as long as I’m fighting, I’m happy,” stated Wineland. “I do want the belt. I’m chasing the belt. So as long as I keep fight and I keep winning, they can’t really deny me that.

“I’m happy with the fight. I’m not here for easy fights. I want to test myself. I want to see what I’m capable of. At the end of the day, I’m gonna be there to have my hand raised.”

From Around the Web

UFC 184 weigh-in video

At the UFC 184 weigh-ins, all 22 fighters taking part in Saturday night's UFC 184 fights will step on the scale Friday evening, and we'll have the live video here at MMAFighting.com.In the main event read news >>

After nine years and 24 UFC fights, Gleison Tibau 'can't believe' he's not ranked

Gleison Tibau made his UFC debut in November 2006. He’s graced the octagon 24 times since then, but much to his dismay, he’s not ranked at lightweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Henderson vs. Boetsch, Rothwell vs. Mitrione booked for UFC Fight Night: Cormier vs. Bader

The UFC confirmed the addition of multiple fights to UFC Fight Night: Cormier vs. Bader in June, including Dan Henderson facing off against Tim Boetsch. New fights are set for UFC Fight Night: Cormie read news >>

The MMA Prospectus: UFC 184 & all the fights last week (really all of them)

Zane Simon and T.P. Grant are joined by Sherdog's Patrick Wyman to look at the best and brightest rising fighters in the MMA world. read news >>

How to watch Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano UFC 184 'Prelims' fights live online

Before the "Rousey vs. Zingano" mixed martial arts (MMA) pay-per-view (PPV) fight card gets underway later this evening (Sat., Feb. 28, 2015) at 10 p.m. ET, live from the Staples Center in Los Angele read news >>

'Welcome to the Show' staredowns video

Before UFC 184, many of the UFC's top stars with upcoming fights squared off at the UFC's 'Welcome to the Show' event Saturday afternoon in Los Angeles. read news >>

He said what!? The fighter reactions to UFC 184

All the best reactions from UFC fighters on Twitter, during UFC 184. The fights are over and Ronda Rousey is still bantamweight champion. But, how did we get here. The UFC roster was watching and the read news >>

UFC 184: Results and Reactions from Saturday's Biggest Fights

What else is there to say about Ronda Rousey? She is clearly in a league of her own after she took just 14 seconds to record a submission victory over Cat Zingano and defend her bantamweight title at read news >>

UFC 184: 5 Fights for Tony Ferguson

The UFC's lightweight division is filled with men who are poised to make a charge at the current title holder, Anthony Pettis. Tony Ferguson is in such a position. After an impressive win at UFC 184, read news >>