When Phil Davis was put on the UFC's second Fox card against Rashad Evans, he knew the pressure was on. Not only did he need to keep his undefeated streak going, but he also needed to create an exciting bout for network fans tuning into the UFC for the first time.

The result? A fight dominated by Rashad Evans as Davis struggled to find a rhythm. Davis told the MMA Hour that he couldn't slow down in the bout, which ended up exhausting him.

"I got myself into one of the situations where you've got to go all out to get out of that, and put out a lot of energy," he said. "That kind of put me behind on momentum, and from there, Rashad was just the calmer guy. He eased into the fight better. More and more, I was trying to do more to gain momentum and he was just calm and collected."

It was the first loss of Davis' MMA career. He ended his NCAA wrestling career with a championship, so it's the first time Davis has lost in at least four years. A loss like that can shake a man, but Davis took a different view of it.

"I'm glad he poked holes in my game," he said. "Because now I can fix some of those holes and know where the No. 2 guy in the world is going to beat me. Now I have a benchmark. Losing is not the worst thing in the world. The worst thing in the world is not getting better. I'm glad I got that fight. I'm glad I got it twice, and I'm just real excited about where I'm at in my career."

While he waits for his next opponent, Davis is helping his friend and teammate, Dominick Cruz, coach on this season of "The Ultimate Fighter." At 27, he's still a young and exciting fighter who has plenty to learn about MMA. A newly refocused Davis should be a force to reckon with.

Cody Garbrandt Takes Out Takeya Mizugaki in 48 Seconds (UFC 207 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Cody Garbrandt solidified his contender status and earned a title shot with his first round victory over Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 202. read news >>

Verbal agreements in place for Mark Hunt vs. Alistair Overeem at UFC 209

A heavyweight clash featuring two veterans of the sport is in the works for UFC 209.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TJ Dillashaw: 'Every Opponent Should Be Worried' (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former champion TJ Dillashaw looks to establish himself as the top contender when he takes on No. 2 ranked bantamweight John Lineker at UFC 207. read news >>

Mark Hunt Agrees to Face Alistair Overeem With Conditions | MMAWeekly.com

Despite his outstanding issues with the UFC, Mark Hunt has agreed to return to the Octagon to face Alistair Overeem. read news >>

UFC 207 lineup finalized again: Louis Smolka vs. Ray Borg opens main card on pay-per-view

With the promotion apparently unable to find a replacement opponent for Jessica Andrade, the main card for UFC 207 next week has a new configuration.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Warrior Code (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Before her highly anticipated return to the octagon, former champion Ronda Rousey reminds us why she fights, the nerves involved, and her plans for the future. read news >>

Yancy Medeiros meets Li Jingliang at UFC on FOX 23 in Denver

The UFC’s January return to the “Mile High City” continues to fill up with the addition of a welterweight fight. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 207 preview: A closer look at Ronda Rousey's career statistics

Go inside the career stats of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, who returns next week in an attempt to reclaim the title she once held. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Manager explains why Max Holloway isn't fighting Jose Aldo at UFC 208

Max Holloway and Jose Aldo won’t be fighting to unify the UFC featherweight championship at UFC 208. That much is clear.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Max Holloway Comments on Jose Aldo, Not Fighting at UFC 208

UFC fighter Max Holloway saw Jose Aldo's Tuesday interview with Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting and wasn't happy about it. Aldo said Holloway knew they were supposed to fight at UFC 208 in Brooklyn, Ne read news >>