Phil Davis backtracks on biased Brazilian judges comment, says he ‘didn’t say that’

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Phil Davis discussed his upcoming match-up against Glover Teixeira and why he was misquoted on his biased Brazilian judges comment.

It appears someone has pulled a fast one on Phil Davis.

The light-heavyweight competitor, who is scheduled to meet Glover Teixeira in the co-main event of UFC 179 in October, recently stated that he was a little worried about competing in Brazil due to their inherent bias for local fighters.

Now it seems as though Davis did not say those comments at all.

"I don't even know why that article got printed," Davis said in a media scrum following the UFC 179 ticket sales press conference. "I didn't say that. What I said was that ‘is there a homefield advantage? Yes.'  You have the crowd cheering for you. But that really doesn't matter because these guys come to America and they don't complain. I think its fair.

"I don't even understand why  - it's making me upset  - whoever printed that article, it's completely not what I said.  Either way, if you left it to the judges, and the judges have a subjective view of whom they think won and that is that. The judges are not intentionally biased."

While Davis is quite certain he did not mention any such comments, he did in fact make similar ones on Submission Radio.

"Do I worry about the judges? Absolutely I worry about the judges. Is it gonna be a fair fight? No it's not going to be a fair fight. Do I expect it to be, you know, uneven? Absolutely."

UFC 179 is scheduled to take place Oct. 25 at the Maracanazinho gymnasium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

"I'm not gonna call myself the Brazilian Killer, but if somebody wants to name me the Brazilian Killer, you're more than welcome. I'm just staying patient, working on different things. No need to do read news >>

Sounds like Glover Teixeira is aware of what can happen on the scorecards when Phil Davis is in town. That's why the Brazilian is going to finish "Mr. Wonderful" at the UFC 179 pay-per-view (PPV) eve read news >>

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Glover Teixeira discusses his upcoming match-up against Phil Davis at UFC 179 and outlines his plan for a second title shot. Glover Teixeira has made it clear that ch read news >>

Anthony Johnson snapped Phil Davis’ win streak in April, but "Mr. Wonderful" is already looking to start a new one against Glover Teixeira in Rio de Janeiro. Davis, who scored all of his four wins si read news >>

• a day ago

In April 2010, UFC fans couldn’t have possibly realized they were watching two of the light heavyweight division’s future top contenders, but that’s exactly what happened when Phil Davis met Alexande read news >>

• a day ago

Phil Davis and Alexander Gustafsson faced off at UFC 112 in 2010 in the United Arab Emirates. Watch the fight replay in its entirety. read news >>

• a day ago

With UFC 179 just a few days away, UFC has released a pair of free fight videos featuring the co-headliners in action. Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight contender, Phil Davis read news >>

• a day ago

Check out the behind the scenes lead-up to the UFC 179 fight between Glover Teixeira and Phil Davis. read news >>

• a day ago

“Countdown to UFC 179? debuted Sunday, and now you can watch the segment devoted to the co-headliner between light heavyweight contenders Glover Teixeira and Phil Davis.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>