pedro-munhoz-blackhouseFollowing a six-month layoff, Team Black House 135-pound fighter Pedro “Young Punisher” Munhoz returned to MMA with an impressive first-round TKO of veteran Mitch Jackson at RFA 8 in late June.

In the win, Munhoz demonstrated all aspects of his game and showed that he is becoming a complete fighter.

“I knocked (Jackson) down with a knee from the clinch and when he fell down I jumped to the guillotine choke and defeated him with like 30 seconds left in the first round,” said Munhoz.

“I worked (all aspects of my game) pretty well in the fight. I caught him with good jabs, elbows, and then when he was down from the knee (strike), I finished with the guillotine choke.”

Munhoz told MMAWeekly.com that the way he fought in June is very much a reflection of the training he’s received since relocating to the United States and started working with Team Black House.

“My background is in jiu-jitsu, and I was training Muay Thai in Brazil, but when I moved to the United States I started wrestling,” said Munhoz. “Raphael Cordero has also improved my stand-up a lot.

“After that I’ve felt I’ve gotten better after every fight and now I feel like a complete fighter. If I keep my fight standing up, it is no problem for me. I feel comfortable in any situation; standing up, on the ground, wrestling; everything.”

Originally Munhoz was to headline the AXS TV live broadcasted RFA 9 show on Aug. 16 against fellow up-and-comer Keoni Koch. Unfortunately, Koch was forced out of the bout, so Munhoz now faces longtime veteran Jeff “Big Frog” Curran in the evening’s main event title fight.

“Jeff Curran is an experienced fighter, so I think this fight is going to (come down to) mistakes,” said Munhoz. “I’m going to fight very, very focused. I’m going to try to work all the time and make him make mistakes.

“I don’t have one game (plan). If I have the chance to knock him out, I will. If I have a chance to submit him, I will. I don’t want the fight to go to points because I like to finish my fights and that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

For Munhoz, not only would a win over a top-level veteran such as Curran be a big boost for his career, but taking a title in a promotion he feels is first-class will also help him advance.

“It’s a great event, it’s a great organization, and I really like to fight for the RFA,” said Munhoz. “They’ve treated me in these fights very well. If I can win this title, I think a lot of things will change.

“I think I can go to a bigger organization or stay with the RFA for sure because I’ll have this title. It is a big thing to have this RFA title.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Mayweather vs Pacquiao prediction: Who is winning the fight tonight?

Good things come to those who wait ... or so we hope. The most anticipated boxing match of the 21st century, Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao, takes place tonight (Sat., May 2, 2015) inside MGM Gr read news >>

Sneak peek! AXS TV reveals 'Superfight' championship strap for RFA vs. Legacy showdown on May 8 (Pic)

Legacy flyweight champion Damacio Page and RFA 125-pound kingpin Alexandre Pantoja are set to do battle at the upcoming AXS TV Fights: RFA Vs. Legacy "Superfight" mixed martial arts (MMA) event on Fr read news >>

Irshaad Sayed puts EFC title hopes on temporary hold to book May match up

Irshaad Sayed is the No. 1 contender in the bantamweight division for EFC, the leading promotion on the African continent, but the 26 year old won't get a chance to add a second MMA title to his coll read news >>

Daniel Cormier talks UFC 187: Beating Anthony Johnson -- and not Jon Jones -- won't cheapen title win

"DC" hopes to face "Bones" again one day, but defeating Anthony "Rumble" Johnson to win the UFC light heavyweight title won't make becoming a champion any less sweeter. In the fight game, title shots read news >>

Thomas Almeida's Chute Boxe coach says 'there's no hurry' to develop their prospect

Diego Lima, Thomas Almeida's coach at the legendary Chute Boxe gym sees no need to rush their athlete to the top of the division, but says they will train even harder now that Almeida is getting noti read news >>

The MMA Hour - 279 - Tim Means

me Tim Means talks about his latest winning streak and fighting Matt Brown at UFC 189. read news >>

UFC 186 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 186 event in Montreal, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.Fil read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What next for UFC 186's winning fighters?

With UFC 186 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 186 Results: Michael Bisping Decisions C.B. Dollaway

Michael Bisping got back on a winning track, going the distance and earning a unanimous decision over C.B. Dollaway at UFC 186 in Montreal on Saturday. read news >>