pedro-munhoz-blackhouseFollowing a six-month layoff, Team Black House 135-pound fighter Pedro “Young Punisher” Munhoz returned to MMA with an impressive first-round TKO of veteran Mitch Jackson at RFA 8 in late June.

In the win, Munhoz demonstrated all aspects of his game and showed that he is becoming a complete fighter.

“I knocked (Jackson) down with a knee from the clinch and when he fell down I jumped to the guillotine choke and defeated him with like 30 seconds left in the first round,” said Munhoz.

“I worked (all aspects of my game) pretty well in the fight. I caught him with good jabs, elbows, and then when he was down from the knee (strike), I finished with the guillotine choke.”

Munhoz told MMAWeekly.com that the way he fought in June is very much a reflection of the training he’s received since relocating to the United States and started working with Team Black House.

“My background is in jiu-jitsu, and I was training Muay Thai in Brazil, but when I moved to the United States I started wrestling,” said Munhoz. “Raphael Cordero has also improved my stand-up a lot.

“After that I’ve felt I’ve gotten better after every fight and now I feel like a complete fighter. If I keep my fight standing up, it is no problem for me. I feel comfortable in any situation; standing up, on the ground, wrestling; everything.”

Originally Munhoz was to headline the AXS TV live broadcasted RFA 9 show on Aug. 16 against fellow up-and-comer Keoni Koch. Unfortunately, Koch was forced out of the bout, so Munhoz now faces longtime veteran Jeff “Big Frog” Curran in the evening’s main event title fight.

“Jeff Curran is an experienced fighter, so I think this fight is going to (come down to) mistakes,” said Munhoz. “I’m going to fight very, very focused. I’m going to try to work all the time and make him make mistakes.

“I don’t have one game (plan). If I have the chance to knock him out, I will. If I have a chance to submit him, I will. I don’t want the fight to go to points because I like to finish my fights and that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

For Munhoz, not only would a win over a top-level veteran such as Curran be a big boost for his career, but taking a title in a promotion he feels is first-class will also help him advance.

“It’s a great event, it’s a great organization, and I really like to fight for the RFA,” said Munhoz. “They’ve treated me in these fights very well. If I can win this title, I think a lot of things will change.

“I think I can go to a bigger organization or stay with the RFA for sure because I’ll have this title. It is a big thing to have this RFA title.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Raquel Pennington: ‘The Best Rocky is Yet to Come’

Raquel Pennington is riding a two-fight winning streak after defeating Bethe Correia at UFC on FOX 19 and believes that she's just getting started. read news >>

Jon Jones Has No “Real Satisfaction” Winning “Kinda Fake” Belt (Video)

Jon Jones opened up about his feelings over winning the interim belt, admitting that there was no "real satisfaction" winning a "kinda fake" belt. read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for Jon Jones, UFC 197's other winning fighters?

With UFC 197 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, Featured Vi read news >>

UFC 197 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, MMA has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media platforms. Check read news >>

Devin Clark vs. Alex Nicholson headed to UFC Fight Night 91 in Sioux Falls

Fresh of an RFA title-winning victory, Devin Clark is octagon-bound with his debut set for UFC Fight Night 91 in Sioux Falls, S.D. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo Video: Frankie Edgar is the Next Step in a Rematch with Conor McGregor

Jose Aldo sees Frankie Edgar as the next step in getting a rematch with Conor McGregor to take back the UFC featherweight championship. read news >>

Jon Jones Explains Why He Flipped Off Daniel Cormier at UFC 197 (Video)

Interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones explains why he flipped off champion Daniel Cormier after defeating Ovince Saint Preux in the UFC 197 main event. read news >>

UFC 197 Medical Suspensions: Jon Jones, OSP Possibly Sidelined for Six Months

Jon Jones recently returned to championship status, winning the interim version of the UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 197 on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

After the Octagon: After finding self, Frankie Perez helping others in retirement

• a day ago

Frankie Perez shocked the world when he retired immediately after winning his first UFC bout. But since then he hasn't gone far from the sport - all the while helping to make the difference in the li read news >>

RFA 37 headliner Devin Clark gunning for all the belts – not just in his promotion

It’s the first time RFA 37 headliner Devin Clark has fought for a title, and he’s so excited he can’t sit still when he talks about it.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>