pedro-munhoz-blackhouseFollowing a six-month layoff, Team Black House 135-pound fighter Pedro “Young Punisher” Munhoz returned to MMA with an impressive first-round TKO of veteran Mitch Jackson at RFA 8 in late June.

In the win, Munhoz demonstrated all aspects of his game and showed that he is becoming a complete fighter.

“I knocked (Jackson) down with a knee from the clinch and when he fell down I jumped to the guillotine choke and defeated him with like 30 seconds left in the first round,” said Munhoz.

“I worked (all aspects of my game) pretty well in the fight. I caught him with good jabs, elbows, and then when he was down from the knee (strike), I finished with the guillotine choke.”

Munhoz told MMAWeekly.com that the way he fought in June is very much a reflection of the training he’s received since relocating to the United States and started working with Team Black House.

“My background is in jiu-jitsu, and I was training Muay Thai in Brazil, but when I moved to the United States I started wrestling,” said Munhoz. “Raphael Cordero has also improved my stand-up a lot.

“After that I’ve felt I’ve gotten better after every fight and now I feel like a complete fighter. If I keep my fight standing up, it is no problem for me. I feel comfortable in any situation; standing up, on the ground, wrestling; everything.”

Originally Munhoz was to headline the AXS TV live broadcasted RFA 9 show on Aug. 16 against fellow up-and-comer Keoni Koch. Unfortunately, Koch was forced out of the bout, so Munhoz now faces longtime veteran Jeff “Big Frog” Curran in the evening’s main event title fight.

“Jeff Curran is an experienced fighter, so I think this fight is going to (come down to) mistakes,” said Munhoz. “I’m going to fight very, very focused. I’m going to try to work all the time and make him make mistakes.

“I don’t have one game (plan). If I have the chance to knock him out, I will. If I have a chance to submit him, I will. I don’t want the fight to go to points because I like to finish my fights and that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

For Munhoz, not only would a win over a top-level veteran such as Curran be a big boost for his career, but taking a title in a promotion he feels is first-class will also help him advance.

“It’s a great event, it’s a great organization, and I really like to fight for the RFA,” said Munhoz. “They’ve treated me in these fights very well. If I can win this title, I think a lot of things will change.

“I think I can go to a bigger organization or stay with the RFA for sure because I’ll have this title. It is a big thing to have this RFA title.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

From Around the Web

Gabriel Gonzaga sees Mirko Cro Cop rematch as do or die in the UFC

Gabriel Gonzaga beat Mirko Cro Cop at his own game in 2007, and has the opportunity to do it again eight years later. "Napao", who surprisingly knocked out Cro Cop with a high kick at UFC 70 to earn read news >>

Justin Lawrence on RFA 25 opponent Sam Toomer: 'I’ll be happy to give him his first loss'

For Justin Lawrence, growing his game has been as much a focus as anything since being bounced from the UFC.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Heading into Bellator Title Fight, Dave Jansen Sees It as Tank vs. Go-Kart

Dave Jansen is a tank in the cage, and he sees his tank rolling over Bellator champion Will Brooks' go-kart on Friday night. read news >>

Chris Weidman and Jon Jones Plan on Making Their Superfight a Reality

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman sees a superfight with pound-for-pound king Jon "Bones" Jones in his future. During a feature on AXS TV's Inside MMA, Weidman chatted about the possibility of read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 63 event in Fairfax, Va., several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out thos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 Results: Chad Mendes Makes Statement, TKOs Ricardo Lamas

Chad Mendes accomplished an impact performance, defeating Ricardo Lamas via technical knockout in the first round at UFC Fight Night 63 in Fairfax, Va. on Saturday. read news >>

Why does Michael Johnson want Benson Henderson next? 'He won't run away from me'

BOCA RATON, Fla. – After winning four straight fights, moving into the lightweight division’s top 10, and finally shutting up his doubters, Michael Johnson knows exactly what – and whom – he wants ne read news >>

Ronda Rousey: The ESPN Conversation with Allison Glock

Ronda Rousey opens up for Allison Glock reveals include her secret celebrity (non) crush, her hopes for child birth, her training diet and much more. Allison Glock spoke to Ronda Rousey for ESPN and read news >>

Justin Gaethje knows entertaining means more than winning, because boring winners 'aren’t making money'

PHOENIX -- Justin Gaethje isn't oblivious to the realities he sees around him. The World Series of Fighting lightweight champion is one of the most exciting, go-for-broke fighters in the division, an read news >>