pedro-munhoz-blackhouseFollowing a six-month layoff, Team Black House 135-pound fighter Pedro “Young Punisher” Munhoz returned to MMA with an impressive first-round TKO of veteran Mitch Jackson at RFA 8 in late June.

In the win, Munhoz demonstrated all aspects of his game and showed that he is becoming a complete fighter.

“I knocked (Jackson) down with a knee from the clinch and when he fell down I jumped to the guillotine choke and defeated him with like 30 seconds left in the first round,” said Munhoz.

“I worked (all aspects of my game) pretty well in the fight. I caught him with good jabs, elbows, and then when he was down from the knee (strike), I finished with the guillotine choke.”

Munhoz told MMAWeekly.com that the way he fought in June is very much a reflection of the training he’s received since relocating to the United States and started working with Team Black House.

“My background is in jiu-jitsu, and I was training Muay Thai in Brazil, but when I moved to the United States I started wrestling,” said Munhoz. “Raphael Cordero has also improved my stand-up a lot.

“After that I’ve felt I’ve gotten better after every fight and now I feel like a complete fighter. If I keep my fight standing up, it is no problem for me. I feel comfortable in any situation; standing up, on the ground, wrestling; everything.”

Originally Munhoz was to headline the AXS TV live broadcasted RFA 9 show on Aug. 16 against fellow up-and-comer Keoni Koch. Unfortunately, Koch was forced out of the bout, so Munhoz now faces longtime veteran Jeff “Big Frog” Curran in the evening’s main event title fight.

“Jeff Curran is an experienced fighter, so I think this fight is going to (come down to) mistakes,” said Munhoz. “I’m going to fight very, very focused. I’m going to try to work all the time and make him make mistakes.

“I don’t have one game (plan). If I have the chance to knock him out, I will. If I have a chance to submit him, I will. I don’t want the fight to go to points because I like to finish my fights and that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

For Munhoz, not only would a win over a top-level veteran such as Curran be a big boost for his career, but taking a title in a promotion he feels is first-class will also help him advance.

“It’s a great event, it’s a great organization, and I really like to fight for the RFA,” said Munhoz. “They’ve treated me in these fights very well. If I can win this title, I think a lot of things will change.

“I think I can go to a bigger organization or stay with the RFA for sure because I’ll have this title. It is a big thing to have this RFA title.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Cody Mumma Riding High into RFA 34 Showdown, Targets UFC in 2016

Riding a three-fight hot streak into 2016, Cody Mumma sees his UFC shot coming this year. read news >>

Riding 18-Fight Winning Streak, Jimmie Rivera Wants Top 10 Opponent Next

Rising bantamweight Jimmie Rivera wants a top ten-ranked opponent next after defeating number 14-ranked Iuri Alcantara at UFC on FOX 18 on Saturday. read news >>

Baptist preacher hopes Conor McGregor gets struck down by lightning bolt

Apparently even preachers can’t resist the pull of Conor McGregor’s promotional orbit.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Tarec Saffiedine explains move to Tristar Gym ahead of UFC on FOX 18 win

Tarec Saffiedine had a five-fight winning streak snapped when he lost to Rory MacDonald at UFC Fight Night 54. Something needed to change for the 29-year-old.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

GFL Video: Watch the full fight that earned Mickey Gall a UFC deal

On Saturday, Mickey Gall makes his UFC debut in hopes of a win, and a future meeting with Phil “CM Punk” Brooks. Ahead of Gall’s UFC Fight Night 82 contest with Mike Jackson, see the fight that got G read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 post-fight facts: 'Wonderboy' winning at welterweight

Stephen Thompson took out former welterweight champ Johny Hendricks by first-round TKO in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 82 headliner. Check out all the post-event facts from the show.Filed under: News, read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 82, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or share read news >>

HOT TWEETS: UFC Fighters React to the Denver Broncos Winning the Super Bowl 50

Like millions of Americans, UFC fighters were glued to their televisions on Sunday watching Super Bowl 50. The Denver Broncos won, and fighters took to Twitter to react. read news >>

RFA 36 main card finalized with 4-time All-American wrestler Logan Storley

• a day ago

After announcing the event’s first three bouts, the remaining three are now set for next month’s “RFA 36: Barcelos vs. Vannata” event.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>