Andre Pederneiras (left) says a move to lightweight is unlikely for Jose Aldo. | Photo: Marcelo Alonso


In the minutes and hours since Jose Aldo trounced Chad Mendes at UFC 142, the question has returned to the lips and fingertips of MMA fans and pundits. It’s a proposition the featherweight ace has heard before, and one which has been asked of many dominant prizefighting champions: What could he do at the next weight class up?

According to Andre Pederneiras, Aldo’s trainer and the leader of Brazilian squad Nova Uniao, the question won’t be answered anytime soon.

“If it depends on me, it won’t happen. Unless he leaves the team to train somewhere else and someone agrees with that, because I will not,” the coach joked in an interview with Sherdog.com. “It won’t happen for now, unless he goes straight for a title shot. Not, ‘Oh no, he left the featherweight belt, moved up to lightweight and started from the beginning,’ no way.”

At Saturday’s post-fight press conference in Rio de Janeiro, UFC President Dana White left open the possibility of Aldo moving up to challenge current lightweight titleholder Frankie Edgar, but ultimately left the call to “Scarface” and his team.

“I would have no problem with him staying at his weight now and defending his title there or moving to 155 pounds, whatever he feels like he wants to do,” said White.

Talk of Aldo shifting weights got new legs after his rousing finish of Mendes, a previously unbeaten stud wrestler from Urijah Faber’s Team Alpha Male who many viewed as Aldo’s toughest remaining test. The next obvious contender, former Shooto and Sengoku titleholder Hatsu Hioki, saw his prospects cool after a lukewarm win over George Roop in his October UFC debut.

Crucial to Aldo’s victory was takedown defense, which the champ used to shut down seven Mendes takedown attempts. While Aldo spent time sharpening his wrestling with lightweight contender Gray Maynard during his most recent training camp, Pederneiras asserts that the complete fighter on display Saturday was a result of much more than three months’ work.

“The staff of the academy trains every day for this, and Aldo has been training since he came to MMA,” he said. “This training wasn’t done in three months, but over five years. So, he put into practice what he has done in these three months, the physical, and that was it.”

In the end, Aldo’s ability to stay vertical and escape from Mendes’ grasps set up a blistering, highlight-reel finish. But while his in-cage skills may be rapidly maturing, the 25-year-old from Manaus showed after the win that he still has plenty of youthful exuberance. In a repeat of his celebration at WEC 38 in San Diego, Aldo sped out of the cage as soon as the fight was stopped and dashed into the crowd at Rio’s HSBC Arena, where he was engulfed by a sea of his ecstatic countrymen.

“I expected him to do something stupid, especially here,” Pederneiras laughed, producing from his pocket the Flamengo soccer jersey which Aldo was supposed to wear after the win. “He did [the same thing] in San Diego and he had to hear a lot from the commission staff. But here, with all that crowd, I knew.”

Leonardo Fabri contributed to this report.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Jose Aldo Criticises Conor McGregor's Control over UFC, Says Irishman Is Lucky

  • 27 days ago
  • 1169 views

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has criticised the company for giving the title’s current incumbent, Conor McGregor, too much influence. Aldo was unbeaten for a decade before he was sensa read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Jose Aldo: 'I won’t accept another fight unless it’s for the belt'

  • 25 days ago
  • 88 views

Ex-UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is again defending his approach in a loss to now-champ Conor McGregor and said he’s waiting for a title shot for his next bout.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After UFC 194 Loss, Jose Aldo Thought He’d Be Fighting Frankie Edgar for the Belt

  • 20 days ago
  • 26 views

Following his UFC 194 loss to Conor McGregor, Jose Aldo was told that he'd be facing Frankie Edgar for the 145-pound title in his next outing. read news >>

BREAKING: UFC Champ Fabricio Werdum Injured, Drops Off Super Bowl Card

  • 16 days ago
  • 1061 views

Less than 24 hours after Cain Velasquez had to drop out of the UFC 196 main event opposite Fabricio Werdum, the champion has reportedly had to withdraw as well. read news >>

Jose Aldo Willing to Sit and Wait for UFC Title Shot

  • 16 days ago
  • 22 views

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has fought just 13 seconds in the past year, and it appears that might have to do for the next year as well. read news >>

Chad Mendes not interested in B.J. Penn's comeback, doesn't want to see him 'get hurt'

  • 14 days ago
  • 13 views

Former UFC champion B.J. Penn recently ended his retirement and declared his intention to chase the featherweight championship. Longtime 145-pound contender Chad Mendes said he questions the wisdom b read news >>

Jose Aldo Wants Title Shot or Conor McGregor… Nothing Else!

  • 14 days ago
  • 30 views

Just in case he hasn't been clear enough, former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo made his intentions clear to the UFC. read news >>

Jose Aldo's message to UFC: Keep your word, give me a title rematch

  • 14 days ago
  • 22 views

Jose Aldo already made it clear that he will accept no fight outside of a chance to challenge for a UFC title, but he drove home the point on Facebook.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo Issues Conor McGregor-or-Title Ultimatum to UFC and Dana White

  • 13 days ago
  • 1508 views

MMA legend Jose Aldo has confirmed he will not fight in the UFC again unless he’s handed a rematch against Conor McGregor or a title shot. The Brazilian, regarded as one of the sport’s greatest compe read news >>

Dana White Reluctant to Grant Jose Aldo a Conor McGregor Rematch

  • 13 days ago
  • 88 views

During an appearance on Opie with Jim Norton, UFC president Dana White said that it would be tough to put together a rematch between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo. read news >>