paul-daley-18.jpgPaul Daley and Maiquel Falcao are no longer under contract with Bellator.

Today, the promotion suddenly announced a decision to release the welterweight and middleweight fighters, who’ve both landed in trouble with the law after reported assaults.

Bellator rep Anthony Mazzuca told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the promotion will not retain matching rights and the fighters are free to compete for any other promotion.

“We examine each situation on a case-by-case basis, and in these two instances, the violent nature of both situations has led to our decision to release both fighters from the organization,” he said.

Mazzuca cited Falcao’s involvement in a brawl in his native Brazil and Daley’s conviction on a charge of assaulting and obstructing a police officer, which contradicts public statements given by the fighter about the incident this past December in the United Kingdom.

Daley manager Wad Alameddine said he received word earlier today that Daley had been cut, but was unable to reach his client.

“I’m definitely disappointed,” he said.

In June, Daley told Bleacher Report that the case had been thrown out for “lack of evidence and contradicting witness accounts.”

Alameddine, however, confirmed that the welterweight had, in fact, been convicted of assault and fined for the charge. He said the conviction was noted on a police certificate that recently was forwarded to Bellator, after which communication dropped off.

He also said Daley recently gave hints that he might leave Bellator after recent one-to-one communications with the promotion’s officials.

“I would assume that they’ve taken it to their immigration team, and their immigration team has probably advised them it’s unlikely he’ll get a visa, and the result is they’ve released him,” Alameddine said.

MMAjunkie.com was unable to reach Falcao, who was also cut from his MMA team, Renovacao Fight Team in Balneario Camboriu, Santa Catarina, Brazil, which resides near the scene of the brawl in which he and a teammate were involved.

Falcao and Kaue Mena were at a gas station when Falcao allegedly slapped a woman and a group of men assaulted them in retaliation. Surveillance footage of the incident, which was obtained by a local TV station, showed Mena beaten by several men after being struck by a wooden beam. He lapsed into a coma and was later placed in intensive care. (His latest condition could not be verified at the time of this writing.)

Falcao (31-5 MMA, 3-1 BFC) won Bellator’s Season 6 middleweight tournament before being knocked out by Alexander Shlemenko in February in a battle for the promotion’s then-vacant title. He has not commented publicly on the incident, which reportedly is being investigated by Brazilian authorities.

Daley (33–12–2), meanwhile, fought just this past weekend at Cage Warriors 57, where he won a first-round TKO over Lukasz Chlewicki. Prior to his legal woes, which scratched him from Bellator’s Season 8 tournament, he fought once in the Bellator cage, where he delivered a first-round knockout of Rudy Bears.

Asked whether Team Daley has a plan moving forward, Alameddine said, “No, in short.

“This is all very much fresh. The only thing that Paul does have on his side is that he is a very exciting, entertaining mixed martial artist, and people will always want to see him, wherever he goes. Whether relies on that a bit too much for my liking is one thing, but wherever he goes, he’ll keep doing what he’s doing, and keep knocking people out.”

For more on Bellator’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Paul Daley)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Bellator MMA Officially Announces Signing of Rory MacDonald

  • 29 days ago
  • 31 views

The news leaked out earlier this week, but Bellator MMA made it official on Friday during the Bellator 160 broadcast. The fight promotion has inked a deal with welterweight Rory MacDonald. read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

  • 9 days ago
  • 166 views

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

After Grisly Skull Fracture, Bellator Should Say No to Return of Cyborg Santos

  • 26 days ago
  • 38 views

In the MMA world Monday, the figure holding the scale between integrity and lucre looked less like a blindfolded woman and more like Scott Coker. The same day, Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos, a 38-year- read news >>

Bellator 160: Henderson vs. Pitbull Main Card Fight Highlights

  • 25 days ago
  • 46 views

Bellator's return to SoCal came with some amazing finishes by rising star AJ McKee and Georgi Karakhanyan, while Derek Anderson continued his win streak. read news >>

UFC Signs Former Bellator Lightweight Title Contender Marcin Held

  • 25 days ago
  • 11 views

On the heels of Bellator inking a deal with former UFC welterweight contender Rory MacDonald, the UFC has signed former Bellator tournament winner Marcin Held. read news >>

Invicta FC 19 Fight Card Finalized with Tiffany Van Soest Facing Kalyn Schwartz

  • 25 days ago
  • 17 views

Invicta Fighting Championships today announced the last match-up for Invicta FC 19, finalizing the eight-fight card. read news >>

Moving from UFC to Bellator, Rory MacDonald Begins His Vision Quest

  • 25 days ago
  • 4 views

After 21 violent minutes, Rory MacDonald's arsenal was spent. Beyond his last breath, the Canadian contender had nothing left to give as he lay shattered on the Octagon canvas. Few people realized it read news >>

Benson Henderson Will Get His Second Bellator Title Shot in November

  • 24 days ago
  • 16 views

After failing to win the Bellator welterweight title, former UFC champion Benson Henderson will get his second crack at a Bellator belt in November. read news >>

Nate Diaz No Longer Jumping for Joy for Third Conor McGregor Fight

  • 24 days ago
  • 411 views

The big debate following Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor 2 was centered on a third fight. Diaz appears to have given up on round three. read news >>

Kim and Nelson to Headline UFC's Return to Belfast

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC® announced today that No.10-ranked “The Stun Gun” Dong Hyun Kim will take on No.12 Gunnar "Gunni” Nelson in Belfast on Saturday November 19 at the SSE Arena. read news >>