Claude Patrick (above) said his UFC 129 bout with Daniel Roberts is a no-lose situation. | Sherdog.com

Claude Patrick joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show recently to discuss his UFC 129 welterweight matchup against Daniel Roberts.

The 30-year-old Canadian, who has won both of his UFC bouts, discussed his preparation for the match, competing in the UFC and fighting with skill.

Patrick on his opponent: “Roberts is obviously a quality opponent, him being in the UFC and training with the team he’s training with. The guy’s highly skilled, a great submission fighter, a good wrestler. I think he’s got some underrated other skills as well.”

On the matchup: “I see it as a no-lose situation. I’ve improved so much getting ready to face this guy. A lot of times people thought I had a clear ground advantage, and now this time people are like, OK, he’s better on the ground. So then, OK, I have to double up my ground training. My skills have improved quite a bit. I’ve learned a lot and added a lot to my repertoire in preparation for this fight.”

On whether he’s studied film of Roberts to form a strategy: “Really you’re fighting yourself. You can plan for him to do X, Y and Z from all the tapes you’ve seen, and he could do something completely different and then you’re upstream without a paddle. That just would be a real disaster.”

On fighting in the UFC after years in smaller shows: “My mom is talking about the UFC. It’s literally a 180-degree turn from me fighting in some backwater show. It’s definitely, definitely the pinnacle of the sport.”

On the adventure he had making weight at UFC 120 in London, which began with Patrick searching for a local sauna (he kept coming across establishments designed for the sexually interested) and ended with a fellow competitor ruining his scale: “I had my scale, and Dan Hardy broke it and then he took off. I was like, ‘This guy broke my scale and took off.’ I guess he stepped on it and water got in on the battery. I didn’t know what weight I was at. You can’t show up off weight because at this time they had just cut Efrain Escudero, and the word was he got cut because he didn’t make weight. This guy was ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and I’m just some Joe Blow. … I might be out of a job. I had to keep cutting, keep cutting. I just kept working until I got up on the stage. That was a bit of a disaster, but it worked out OK.”

On brawls versus fighting with skill: “I’m not going to name anybody by name, but I’ll turn on a fight and my boys will be like, ‘That was ridiculous. Any boxer would punch that guy out. My sister punches straighter than that guy.’ And half the time, you can’t really say anything because the guy is actually right. These guys are just swinging for the fences to try to make what they think is a spectacular fight, which really is not a spectacular fight. None of the athletes really appreciate that. Obviously a [$70,000 Fight of the Night bonus] would be great. That can change your life, but a big thing for me is the respect of my peers. The other guys, when they look at you and say, ‘That was a good fight; you have quality skills,’ that type of thing goes a long way for me.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 42:24).

Steph Daniels guests on Fight Network's MMA Meltdown w/ Gabriel Morency

• a day ago

Our own Steph Daniels recently guested on the Fight Network's MMA Meltdown with Gabriel Morency to discuss the Reebok deal, UFC 187 and the post fight presser debacle. read news >>

Alistair Overeem, Jessica Eye, Michael Chiesa weigh in on UFC's Reebok deal

UFC Q&As aren’t usually the place to discuss serious issues, but one curious fan made things interesting this past week.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Cormier on Chael Sonnen's 'punk' comment: 'Remember the source'

Chael Sonnen recently made headlines for the first time in awhile when he chimed in on the UFC light heavyweight title situation. Speaking on his podcast, Sonnen said that anyone who would accept the read news >>

Brad Pickett returns to bantamweight, meets Thomas Almeida at UFC 189

Promising prospect Thomas Almeida recently told MMAjunkie he had been dreaming of a fight in Las Vegas. Today, he got his wish.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Managers expected to meet next week in Las Vegas to discuss business of MMA

Some of the most powerful managers in MMA are planning to meet next week in Las Vegas. Organized by Mike Roberts and Jeff Meyer of MMA Inc., who represent Urijah Faber, Anthony Pettis, Chael Sonnen, read news >>

Three-year ban for steroids? Too long or too short? UFC fighters weigh in

The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently made the MMA world take notice when it voted for three-year bans for fighters who fail drug tests due to steroids for the first time. Is this punishment read news >>

UFC 187 referees: John McCarthy, Herb Dean assigned championship duties

The referee and judging assignments were recently announced by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for the upcoming UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) mixed martial arts (MMA) extravaganza, which takes p read news >>

Watch The MMA Beat live today

On Thursday's episode of "The MMA Beat," the panel will discuss the UFC 187 aftermath, new issues with the Reebok deal, Wanderlei Silva, and much more. Watch "The MMA Beat" live today at 1 p.m. ET / read news >>

WSOF announces trio of Russian signings, including unbeatens Vagabov and Bibulatov

WSOF has inked Russian imports Vagab Vagabov, Magomed Bibulatov and Magomed Magomedov, officials recently announced.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Anderson Silva Decries Detractors, ‘I’m Not a Cheater’

Having enough of the naysayers, Anderson Silva took to his Instragram account recently to declare, "I'm not a cheater." read news >>