Claude Patrick (above) said his UFC 129 bout with Daniel Roberts is a no-lose situation. |

Claude Patrick joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show recently to discuss his UFC 129 welterweight matchup against Daniel Roberts.

The 30-year-old Canadian, who has won both of his UFC bouts, discussed his preparation for the match, competing in the UFC and fighting with skill.

Patrick on his opponent: “Roberts is obviously a quality opponent, him being in the UFC and training with the team he’s training with. The guy’s highly skilled, a great submission fighter, a good wrestler. I think he’s got some underrated other skills as well.”

On the matchup: “I see it as a no-lose situation. I’ve improved so much getting ready to face this guy. A lot of times people thought I had a clear ground advantage, and now this time people are like, OK, he’s better on the ground. So then, OK, I have to double up my ground training. My skills have improved quite a bit. I’ve learned a lot and added a lot to my repertoire in preparation for this fight.”

On whether he’s studied film of Roberts to form a strategy: “Really you’re fighting yourself. You can plan for him to do X, Y and Z from all the tapes you’ve seen, and he could do something completely different and then you’re upstream without a paddle. That just would be a real disaster.”

On fighting in the UFC after years in smaller shows: “My mom is talking about the UFC. It’s literally a 180-degree turn from me fighting in some backwater show. It’s definitely, definitely the pinnacle of the sport.”

On the adventure he had making weight at UFC 120 in London, which began with Patrick searching for a local sauna (he kept coming across establishments designed for the sexually interested) and ended with a fellow competitor ruining his scale: “I had my scale, and Dan Hardy broke it and then he took off. I was like, ‘This guy broke my scale and took off.’ I guess he stepped on it and water got in on the battery. I didn’t know what weight I was at. You can’t show up off weight because at this time they had just cut Efrain Escudero, and the word was he got cut because he didn’t make weight. This guy was ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and I’m just some Joe Blow. … I might be out of a job. I had to keep cutting, keep cutting. I just kept working until I got up on the stage. That was a bit of a disaster, but it worked out OK.”

On brawls versus fighting with skill: “I’m not going to name anybody by name, but I’ll turn on a fight and my boys will be like, ‘That was ridiculous. Any boxer would punch that guy out. My sister punches straighter than that guy.’ And half the time, you can’t really say anything because the guy is actually right. These guys are just swinging for the fences to try to make what they think is a spectacular fight, which really is not a spectacular fight. None of the athletes really appreciate that. Obviously a [$70,000 Fight of the Night bonus] would be great. That can change your life, but a big thing for me is the respect of my peers. The other guys, when they look at you and say, ‘That was a good fight; you have quality skills,’ that type of thing goes a long way for me.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 42:24).

Officials: Recently retired 'Cro Cop' first UFC fighter to fail USADA drug test

Mirko Filipovic might be officially retired from MMA, but it appears “Cro Cop” will soon be suspended from competing in the sport, as well.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Surprise! Floyd Mayweather Says Ronda Rousey is Bad for Boxing

Surprise, surprise.... recently retired boxer Floyd Mayweather is not happy about UFC champ Ronda Rousey being on the cover of boxing's The Ring magazine. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey's Ring Magazine Cover

Ronda Rousey recently became the first woman to grace the cover of Ring Magazine, but retired boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. used the historic accomplishment as an avenue to comment on the state of boxin read news >>

After brutal string of opponents, Angela Hill announces UFC release

After fighting a terribly tough stretch of opponents, Angela Hill recently announced the UFC has released her from her contract.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'ONE Championship 34: Kingdom of Khmer' heads to Cambodia with Tynanes-Yakhyaev

ONE Championship is heading to Cambodia in December for “ONE Championship 34: Kingdom of Khmer,” officials recently announced.Filed under: News read news >>

Glory Kickboxing 25: Milan Fight Card, Schedule and Predictions

Despite Glory Kickboxing recently losing its television deal with Spike TV, the shows must go on. On Friday, Nov. 6, Glory 25 in Milan will take place. The promotion's website lists the lightweight t read news >>

Cosmo Alexandre signs exclusive deal with WSOF

Kickboxing star and Bellator veteran Cosmo Alexandre has signed an exclusive multi-fight deal with WSOF, officials recently announced.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Bellator's Goiti Yamauchi thinks 'Pitbull' overlooking him, even ahead of Straus fight

When Bellator featherweight champion Patricio Freire recently told MMAjunkie the promotion needed to track down some new competition worthy of challenging him, one fighter in particular took notice.F read news >>

Should relationships like Rousey-Browne be part of news cycle? Fighters discuss

When UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey and heavyweight contender Travis Browne recently confirmed they’re in a relationship, is it worth covering? Should it be part of the news cycle?Fil read news >>

Oscar De La Hoya says he's discussed a Ronda Rousey boxing debut

Boxing magazine “The Ring” recently released their January cover featuring Ronda Rousey and asking if she could conquer boxing as she has done with MMA. Oscar De La Hoya would like to be a part of th read news >>