Claude Patrick (above) said his UFC 129 bout with Daniel Roberts is a no-lose situation. | Sherdog.com

Claude Patrick joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show recently to discuss his UFC 129 welterweight matchup against Daniel Roberts.

The 30-year-old Canadian, who has won both of his UFC bouts, discussed his preparation for the match, competing in the UFC and fighting with skill.

Patrick on his opponent: “Roberts is obviously a quality opponent, him being in the UFC and training with the team he’s training with. The guy’s highly skilled, a great submission fighter, a good wrestler. I think he’s got some underrated other skills as well.”

On the matchup: “I see it as a no-lose situation. I’ve improved so much getting ready to face this guy. A lot of times people thought I had a clear ground advantage, and now this time people are like, OK, he’s better on the ground. So then, OK, I have to double up my ground training. My skills have improved quite a bit. I’ve learned a lot and added a lot to my repertoire in preparation for this fight.”

On whether he’s studied film of Roberts to form a strategy: “Really you’re fighting yourself. You can plan for him to do X, Y and Z from all the tapes you’ve seen, and he could do something completely different and then you’re upstream without a paddle. That just would be a real disaster.”

On fighting in the UFC after years in smaller shows: “My mom is talking about the UFC. It’s literally a 180-degree turn from me fighting in some backwater show. It’s definitely, definitely the pinnacle of the sport.”

On the adventure he had making weight at UFC 120 in London, which began with Patrick searching for a local sauna (he kept coming across establishments designed for the sexually interested) and ended with a fellow competitor ruining his scale: “I had my scale, and Dan Hardy broke it and then he took off. I was like, ‘This guy broke my scale and took off.’ I guess he stepped on it and water got in on the battery. I didn’t know what weight I was at. You can’t show up off weight because at this time they had just cut Efrain Escudero, and the word was he got cut because he didn’t make weight. This guy was ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and I’m just some Joe Blow. … I might be out of a job. I had to keep cutting, keep cutting. I just kept working until I got up on the stage. That was a bit of a disaster, but it worked out OK.”

On brawls versus fighting with skill: “I’m not going to name anybody by name, but I’ll turn on a fight and my boys will be like, ‘That was ridiculous. Any boxer would punch that guy out. My sister punches straighter than that guy.’ And half the time, you can’t really say anything because the guy is actually right. These guys are just swinging for the fences to try to make what they think is a spectacular fight, which really is not a spectacular fight. None of the athletes really appreciate that. Obviously a [$70,000 Fight of the Night bonus] would be great. That can change your life, but a big thing for me is the respect of my peers. The other guys, when they look at you and say, ‘That was a good fight; you have quality skills,’ that type of thing goes a long way for me.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 42:24).

The Heavy Hands breakdown of Mendes-McGregor & Lawler-MacDonald

Patrick Wyman and Connor Ruebusch discuss the incredible main card of UFC 189, highlight Conor McGregor, Robbie Lawler and Rory MacDonald, and Thomas Almeida. read news >>

Frank Mir vs. Todd Duffee staredown pic from UFC Fight Night 71 weigh ins

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) recently tied a ribbon around its UFC Fight Night 71 weigh in event, which took place earlier this evening (Tues., July 14, 2015) inside Valley View Casino Center read news >>

Trading Shots: In Conor McGregor, a star is born

In this week’s Trading Shots, Danny Downes and Ben Fowlkes discuss Conor McGregor’s star turn at UFC 189, and wonder what it means for MMA as a whole to have one brash Irishman brandishing a belt as read news >>

UFC 189's John Howard fights through hiccups to discuss post-event crying routine

LAS VEGAS – Following UFC 189, John Howard’s adrenaline dump left him doing interviews with a bad case of the hiccups. However, it sure beats what had become his usual post-fight routine.Filed under: read news >>

Jake Ellenberger vs. Stephen Thompson staredown pic from TUF 21 Finale weigh ins

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) recently tied a ribbon around its Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 Finale weigh in event, which took place earlier this afternoon (Sat., July 11, 2015) as part of Intern read news >>

Video: UFC 189 fighters discuss new Reebok fight-week swag, including 'Skittles' shoes

LAS VEGAS – The UFC-Reebok era is officially upon us, and the first fighters to receive their fight-week gear had some praise, some gripes and some constructive criticism. But no one seems like to th read news >>

Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin live results and discussion

Bloody Elbow is the place to be to discuss tonight's Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin card, which begins at 11 PM ET/8 PM PT from Las Vegas, Nevada. Why yes, there may be 500 UFC events coming up o read news >>

The MMA Vivisection - Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin

Zane Simon is once again joined by D.E.O. and Victor Rodriguez to give you all the information you have to know for this week's Invicta FC 13 fight card, including picks and analysis of every fight. read news >>

Video: CM Punk, former UFC champs Evans and Griffin train at EXOS athlete performance

CM Punk joined former UFC champions Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans, plus #1 middleweight contender Luke Rockhold to test out the equipment at the EXOS athlete performance institute in Arizona. On t read news >>

TUF 21 Finale: 3 Things to Look for in Michelle Waterson's UFC Debut

Michelle Waterson, former Invicta FC atomweight champion, joined the UFC earlier this year and will make her in-cage debut on July 12th against Angela Magana. It was a significant signing for the gro read news >>