Patrick Cote Drew McFedries UFC Fight Night 12It’s nothing new for Patrick Cote to have an opponent tell him before a fight that he will be the one to stand and trade strikes with him.

Former UFC light heavyweight Todd Brown is the latest, as he is set to challenge Cote this Saturday night in Montreal as a part of Ringside 11.

Cote has heard that Brown will offer him a striking battle when they face off, but he’s not sure how long that will last once the punching begins.

“I love the match-up; it’s going to be a stand-up war. I think Todd Brown is a Muay Thai fighter, a good stand up fighter, and that’s what I like. I like to stay on my feet and bang, and I’m very excited for this fight,” Cote told MMAWeekly.com.

But does Cote believe when the fight is on that Brown will actually stand and trade with him?

“I have a big doubt about it, but we’ll see,” Cote stated. “I’m going to punch him hard, as hard as I can, and we’ll see if he’s able to take it.”

Since exiting the UFC following three consecutive losses, Cote bounced back with a win over fellow Octagon veteran Kalib Starnes. While he won a unanimous decision, Cote admits that he played it safe because he knew he needed a win.

That style however is not what defines Patrick Cote, and he’s not planning on that type of fight happening again.

“It’s good to be back on the winning road. A lot pressure off of my shoulders, and now I’m sure Saturday night I’m going to be looser and I’m going to let my hands go,” Cote said. “It’s going to be better for me. I will think less about only winning. I’m just going to think about this performance and knock him out.”

Cote has stated that his long-term goal, like many fighters before him, is to earn his way back to the UFC. The Canadian has actually had a few stints in the promotion already, but he’s tasted what it’s like to fight the best and he wants to get back there.

It was only just over two years ago that Cote was fighting Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title. He wants to prove that he belongs among the elite fighters in the world. To do that, Cote knows he has to win and keep on winning.

“The only power I have is to win fights and you never know what’s going to happen after. If I don’t win fights, they will never call me back. It’s the only power I have, the only control I have, is to go and give them a reason to bring me back,” Cote said.

With Starnes and now Brown, Cote will have fought two UFC veterans. He points out that while he never turns down a challenge, he also knows that for UFC matchmaker Joe Silva to notice, he needs to face the best opposition.

A win over a nobody does nothing for Cote. So he’s ready to face the top names that are willing to step into the cage with him.

“I never chose my opponents and I never refuse anyone. I always want the best fight for me, and big fights, because I don’t just want to put a win on my record,” said Cote.

“I want to put a good win against a good fighter, and a good name. If you beat a guy that you know you’re really, really better than them, you’re not going to be better off.”

Cote will try to add Todd Brown’s name to the list of quality wins he’s achieved when he faces him on Saturday night in Montreal at Ringside 11.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Fight Night 74 Results: Patrick Cote Takes Out Josh Burkman, Takes Aim at Hector Lombard

Patrick Cote took the latest step toward another run at a UFC title by taking out Josh Burkman at UFC Fight Night 74 on Sunday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 74 results: Patrick Cote flattens, then finishes, Josh Burkman for first time ever

Patrick Cote finished Josh Burkman in the third round of their highly-entertaining Welterweight battle at UFC Fight Night 74 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, earlier tonight (Sun., Aug. 23, 2015) read news >>

UFC Fight Night 74 results: Patrick Cote becomes first man to TKO Burkman, calls out Lombard

SASKATOON – UFC commentator and crowd favorite Patrick Cote brought down the house when he brought down a tough Josh Burkman in the final round of their meeting.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Patrick Cote looks to end seven-year UFC stoppage drought

SASKATOON – Patrick Cote said he’s looking to put away Josh Burkman in impressive fashion at UFC Fight Night 74. It’d be his first time stopping a UFC opponent since 2008.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Freak acupuncture injury reason Saskatoon native excluded from UFC's Sunday fight card

From the "WTF" file comes this truly weird story out of The StarPhoenix (H/T Vice Fightland) on the reason that Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight fighter -- and Saskatoon, Canada nativ read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. Oliveira - Idiot's Guide Preview for Patrick Cote vs Josh Burkman

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about two fighters who couldn't hack it in the UFC yet seem destined to retire in the octagon for UFN 74 in Canada. Two aging but relevant read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2026 with Patrick Cote, Tamdan McCrory, Ricky Musgrave, Jordon Larson

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with Patrick Cote, Tamdan McCrory, Ricky Musgrave and Jordon Larson.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Patrick Cote: Crafting One Memorable Story

Patrick Cote admits that he hasn’t paid attention to the great story he’s writing at the moment, maybe because the 35-year-old is having too much fun. “I’m a veteran now and a lot of things come with read news >>

Acupuncture mishap ruled Mitch Clarke out of Sunday's UFC Fight Night 74 event

Mitch Clarke has a good – and odd – reason for why he won’t be fighting at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 74 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 74 fight card: Patrick Cote vs Josh Burkman full fight preview

Patrick Cote and Josh Burkman will go to war this Sunday (Aug. 23, 2015) at UFC Fight Night 74 inside SaskTel Centre in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. In a match up of long-time veterans, what adju read news >>