Pat Miletich: For GSP, Johny Hendricks Could Be More Dangerous Than Anderson Silva

Anderson Silva may be the top-ranked pound-for-pound fighter in the world, but Johny Hendricks could be a more dangerous opponent for Georges St. Pierre, according to Pat Miletich.

“If I’m Georges St. Pierre, to be honest with you, I’m probably going to lean towards fighting Anderson Silva,” the analyst and former UFC welterweight champion told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show. “… There’s a hell of a lot more to gain obviously with [fighting Silva], but that might even, to be honest with you, be a safer fight for him.”

St. Pierre defended his welterweight title Saturday with a unanimous decision over Carlos Condit at UFC 154. UFC President Dana White is hoping to match the Canadian against Silva in May, but St. Pierre hasn’t yet expressed a definite interest in the matchup. Another option would be for him to defend his 170-pound title next against Hendricks, who was also victorious Saturday with a 46-second knockout of Martin Kampmann.

“I think Johny Hendricks might have a unique game that may go as a serious risk for GSP,” Miletich said.

A two-time NCAA champion wrestler at Oklahoma State, Hendricks has become one of the biggest punchers in the welterweight division. Before knocking out Kampmann, he flattened Jon Fitch in December.

“[St. Pierre] may get a takedown, but he’s not holding Hendricks down,” Miletich said. “I think Hendricks is obviously a good enough wrestler, a strong enough guy when he’s coming back up. And Hendricks has some serious one-punch knockout power. When he hits people, he’s sliding them across the ice.”

Miletich compared Hendricks’ aggression to the way he fought himself early in his career.

“When I first started fighting, I was a reckless psychopath,” Miletich said. “I really didn’t care what the other guy was doing. I was going to kill him either way. But as I got a lot more experience and got a lot more educated about the finesse game of striking, of grapping and everything else, it quickly dawned on me how many ways there were for me to lose. So I became a lot more cautious over time. Hendricks is kind of at that point where he knows just enough to kill people and doesn’t care about what you’re doing. That makes a guy pretty freakin’ dangerous.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:05).

Johny Hendricks may be in the midst of preparing to defend his welterweight title against Robbie Lawler in a rematch of their thrilling UFC 171 scrap, but the shadow of Georges St. Pierre still looms read news >>

"I always talk about a fight that most people don't bring up, it's when I fought Travis Lutter in Montreal. Basically in the fight I had all the answers I needed (to win) but it was just failed execu read news >>

MMAmania.com resident fighter analyst Andrew Richardson breaks down the mixed martial arts (MMA) game of UFC 181 headliner Johny Hendricks, who will look to defend his title for the first time this S read news >>

Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler are going to do it again. The two met for the vacant UFC welterweight title at UFC 171 earlier this year. They put on a show in that main event. The fight was back-a read news >>

Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler fought another great fight, but Anthony Pettis led the UFC 181 fighter bonuses on Saturday night. read news >>

Although he ultimately won the title in his very next bout, did Johny Hendricks actually deserve the belt after fighting then-champ Georges St-Pierre at UFC 167?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ahead of their rematch next week at UFC 181, check out the first meeting between UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champions Johny Hendricks and Anthony Pettis as well as UFC 181 title contenders Robbie Lawler and Gilbert Melendez weigh-in on Irish featherweight star Conor McGregor. read news >>

Steven "The Warman" Wright talks about the training of Johny Hendricks, who is set to rematch Robbie Lawler in defense of his welterweight title on December 6th. Steven Wright, the striking trainer a read news >>