pat-healy-10.jpgUFC lightweight Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 0-1 UFC) today issued a statement to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in which he apologized for testing positive for marijuana following an upset win over Jim Miller (22-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) at UFC 159.

The UFC declined to comment on the matter, and the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which oversaw the event, does not release the names of those who test positive for banned substances following an event. But a Healy representative told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter was suspended for 90 days by the commission and his win will be overturned to a no contest.

In his statement, Healy took full responsibility for the positive test.

“I would like to start off by apologizing to the UFC, Jim Miller, the MMA community, its fans, my family, teammates and coaches for my positive testing for marijuana after my UFC 159 fight with Jim Miller,” he stated. “I was fully aware of the UFC and state commission’s drug policies and made poor life choices.

“I stand behind the UFC and state commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA (and sports) a clean, safe and fair place to compete.

“I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and state commission asks of me and beyond. I will make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

Repeated attempts to contact the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board were unsuccessful. But Phil Claud, Healy’s trainer at Sports Lab in Portland, Ore., said the fighter was notified on Saturday by the New Jersey commission about his suspension and win being overturned.

“I’ve been coaching for a long time, and I’ve never had an athlete test positive on any level,” said Claud. “I have to do a lot of soul searching on my side. It affects me personally and every athlete at Sports Lab. But I believe Pat made a mistake. I believe we beat one of the best fighters in the UFC; I don’t believe the marijuana had any influence on the result of the bout. At the end of the day, I believe in Pat. I’m going to follow my gut and continue to support him.”

Claud said Healy told him that he used the drug one month prior to the bout while spending time with old friends.

Healy, 29, submitted Miller in the third round of their April 27 bout, which served on the pay-per-view main card of the event. UFC 159 took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The impressive performance won Healy dual bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Submission of the Night,” which put another $130,000 in disclosed pay in his pocket.

The UFC recently changed its policy to withhold fight-night bonuses until drug testing results are released, so it’s possible Healy’s bonus could be taken back.

It was Healy’s seventh consecutive win, as well, and followed a successful run in the now-defunct Strikeforce.

Mike Constantino, Miller’s manager, declined comment until the UFC confirms the suspension.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC Statement on Daniel Omielanczuk

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency informed Daniel Omielanczuk of a potential Anti-Doping Policy Violation involving Meldonium, a prohibited substance on the Wor read news >>

UFC Statement on Islam Makhachev

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has lifted Islam Makhachev’s provisional suspension due to recent WADA statements regarding the handling of Meldonium cases. read news >>

WWE Releases Statement Regarding Brock Lesnar’s Potential Anti-Doping Violation

The WWE on Friday released a statement (sorta) about Brock Lesnar and his potential anti-doping violation. read news >>

UFC Releases Statement on Brock Lesnar's Doping Test Ahead of UFC 200

The UFC released a statement Tuesday on its official website updating the status of superstar Brock Lesnar's in-competition drug test: The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Dopin read news >>

UFC Statement on Brock Lesnar

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Brock Lesnar that his in-competition sample collection from July 9, 2016, at UFC 200, has tested read news >>

Brock Lesnar Allegedly Tested Positive for Same Estrogen Blocker as Jon Jones

According to a report from the Los Angeles Times, Brock Lesnar allegedly tested positive for one of the same substances as Jon Jones. read news >>

UFC Statement on Emil Meek

As part of the athlete onboarding process, Emil Meek voluntarily disclosed medical treatment he received prior to signing with UFC that is potentially out of compliance with UFC’s Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

Islam Makhachev Cleared in Testing Positive for Meldonium Prior to UFC on FOX 19

• 23 hours ago

After having his UFC on FOX 19 bout cancelled in April, Islam Makhachev on Wednesday was found "not at fault" for ingesting a prohibited substance. read news >>

Jon Jones Tested Positive for Anti-Estrogen, NSAC Approves Temporary Suspension

Current interim UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has received a "temporary suspension" after testing positive for two estrogen blockers. Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie reported the suspension M read news >>

Brock Lesnar’s UFC 200 Drug Test Positive for Same Substance as Out-of-Competition Test

The UFC on Tuesday was notified that Brock Lesnar's UFC 200 fight-night drug test was positive for the same substance as his June 28 out-of-competition drug test. read news >>