pat-healy-10.jpgUFC lightweight Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 0-1 UFC) today issued a statement to ( in which he apologized for testing positive for marijuana following an upset win over Jim Miller (22-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) at UFC 159.

The UFC declined to comment on the matter, and the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which oversaw the event, does not release the names of those who test positive for banned substances following an event. But a Healy representative told that the fighter was suspended for 90 days by the commission and his win will be overturned to a no contest.

In his statement, Healy took full responsibility for the positive test.

“I would like to start off by apologizing to the UFC, Jim Miller, the MMA community, its fans, my family, teammates and coaches for my positive testing for marijuana after my UFC 159 fight with Jim Miller,” he stated. “I was fully aware of the UFC and state commission’s drug policies and made poor life choices.

“I stand behind the UFC and state commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA (and sports) a clean, safe and fair place to compete.

“I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and state commission asks of me and beyond. I will make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

Repeated attempts to contact the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board were unsuccessful. But Phil Claud, Healy’s trainer at Sports Lab in Portland, Ore., said the fighter was notified on Saturday by the New Jersey commission about his suspension and win being overturned.

“I’ve been coaching for a long time, and I’ve never had an athlete test positive on any level,” said Claud. “I have to do a lot of soul searching on my side. It affects me personally and every athlete at Sports Lab. But I believe Pat made a mistake. I believe we beat one of the best fighters in the UFC; I don’t believe the marijuana had any influence on the result of the bout. At the end of the day, I believe in Pat. I’m going to follow my gut and continue to support him.”

Claud said Healy told him that he used the drug one month prior to the bout while spending time with old friends.

Healy, 29, submitted Miller in the third round of their April 27 bout, which served on the pay-per-view main card of the event. UFC 159 took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The impressive performance won Healy dual bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Submission of the Night,” which put another $130,000 in disclosed pay in his pocket.

The UFC recently changed its policy to withhold fight-night bonuses until drug testing results are released, so it’s possible Healy’s bonus could be taken back.

It was Healy’s seventh consecutive win, as well, and followed a successful run in the now-defunct Strikeforce.

Mike Constantino, Miller’s manager, declined comment until the UFC confirms the suspension.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Jon Jones releases statement, apologizes for his actions

Jon Jones issued a statement after avoiding jail time Tuesday. "With regards to today's decision made by the court, I am very happy to now be able to put this incident behind me. My actions have caus read news >>

Jon Jones releases statement: ‘I am truly sorry, and I accept full responsibility’

Former UFC light -heavyweight champion Jon Jones today released a statement – via his reps – in the wake of a plea agreement that will keep him out of jail following a hit-and-run. Filed under: News, read news >>

VIDEO: Nick Diaz Pleads 5th Amendment Over UFC 183 Drug Test Positive for Marijuana

UFC fighter Nick Diaz went before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday to address positive drug test results for marijuana metabolites at UFC 183. read news >>

UFC releases statement after motion to dismiss antitrust lawsuit is denied

The UFC has released an official statement regarding a Nevada judge's decision to allow the antitrust lawsuit to proceed. Big news came in last night regarding the UFC antitrust lawsuit case. The UFC read news >>

UFC releases statement on Jon Jones' plea agreement

Jon Jones' suspension has not been lifted by the UFC as of yet. While it seems like Jones will avoid jail time in his felony hit-and-run case, the UFC will not automatically reinstate him, per a stat read news >>

Jon Jones, UFC issue separate statements on court case resolution

The UFC has issued a statement on Jon Jones, saying that they'll review his plea agreement before thinking about reinstating him. With the resolution of former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jone read news >>

UFC releases statement on possible return of Jon Jones

For those of you mixed martial arts (MMA) fans who thought the return of Jon Jones was a foregone conclusion, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) wants you to curb your enthusiasm. For now. The prom read news >>

Jon Jones statement: 'Bones' seeks forgiveness, wants chance to redeem himself to UFC fans

"With regards to today's decision made by the court, I am very happy to now be able to put this incident behind me. My actions have caused pain and inconvenience in the lives of others and for that I read news >>

Jon Jones Issues Statement After Pleading Guilty to Hit and Run

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones issued a statement after pleading guilty to a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident on Tuesday morning. read news >>

Wanderlei Silva initiates Nevada Supreme Court appeal

Retired UFC fighter Wanderlei Silva today initiated an appeal with the Nevada Supreme Court to rule on whether the Nevada State Athletic Commission overstepped its bounds by imposing a lifetime ban e read news >>