pat-healy-10.jpgUFC lightweight Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 0-1 UFC) today issued a statement to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in which he apologized for testing positive for marijuana following an upset win over Jim Miller (22-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) at UFC 159.

The UFC declined to comment on the matter, and the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which oversaw the event, does not release the names of those who test positive for banned substances following an event. But a Healy representative told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter was suspended for 90 days by the commission and his win will be overturned to a no contest.

In his statement, Healy took full responsibility for the positive test.

“I would like to start off by apologizing to the UFC, Jim Miller, the MMA community, its fans, my family, teammates and coaches for my positive testing for marijuana after my UFC 159 fight with Jim Miller,” he stated. “I was fully aware of the UFC and state commission’s drug policies and made poor life choices.

“I stand behind the UFC and state commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA (and sports) a clean, safe and fair place to compete.

“I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and state commission asks of me and beyond. I will make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

Repeated attempts to contact the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board were unsuccessful. But Phil Claud, Healy’s trainer at Sports Lab in Portland, Ore., said the fighter was notified on Saturday by the New Jersey commission about his suspension and win being overturned.

“I’ve been coaching for a long time, and I’ve never had an athlete test positive on any level,” said Claud. “I have to do a lot of soul searching on my side. It affects me personally and every athlete at Sports Lab. But I believe Pat made a mistake. I believe we beat one of the best fighters in the UFC; I don’t believe the marijuana had any influence on the result of the bout. At the end of the day, I believe in Pat. I’m going to follow my gut and continue to support him.”

Claud said Healy told him that he used the drug one month prior to the bout while spending time with old friends.

Healy, 29, submitted Miller in the third round of their April 27 bout, which served on the pay-per-view main card of the event. UFC 159 took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The impressive performance won Healy dual bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Submission of the Night,” which put another $130,000 in disclosed pay in his pocket.

The UFC recently changed its policy to withhold fight-night bonuses until drug testing results are released, so it’s possible Healy’s bonus could be taken back.

It was Healy’s seventh consecutive win, as well, and followed a successful run in the now-defunct Strikeforce.

Mike Constantino, Miller’s manager, declined comment until the UFC confirms the suspension.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Diego Brandao tests positive for marijuana metabolites after UFC 195 loss

Diego Brandao looked to be on his way to a win over Brian Ortega before a third-round mistake landed him in a fight-ending triangle choke. That wasn’t the only issue for Brandao that night.Filed unde read news >>

Video: Sam Alvey releases lip sync video of 'Bills' by LunchMoney Lewis

Sam Alvey is bringing his omnipresent smile to the world of lip syncing.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Reminder: FOX debuts 'UFC Fight Night Embedded: Dillashaw vs. Cruz' today at 3 p.m. ET

As a reminder, the UFC’s return to Boston this month won’t be on pay-per-view, and it won’t be on big FOX. But it’s still getting big-time treatment in the buildup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

UFC 196's Werdum vs. Velasquez headliner gets referee, judges

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today named the officials for next month’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 12: Who's the world's best bantamweight?

Who’s the best bantamweight fighter on the planet? We’ll find out shortly with Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 title headliner.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Reportedly Released from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Reaction

Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie.com reported Thursday the UFC released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the company.The news coincides with Silva recanting his previous claim this past summer that read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 19: Champ Cruz back on top

Dominick Cruz is back where he long stood: atop MMA’s bantamweight division.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>