pat-healy-10.jpgUFC lightweight Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 0-1 UFC) today issued a statement to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in which he apologized for testing positive for marijuana following an upset win over Jim Miller (22-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) at UFC 159.

The UFC declined to comment on the matter, and the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which oversaw the event, does not release the names of those who test positive for banned substances following an event. But a Healy representative told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter was suspended for 90 days by the commission and his win will be overturned to a no contest.

In his statement, Healy took full responsibility for the positive test.

“I would like to start off by apologizing to the UFC, Jim Miller, the MMA community, its fans, my family, teammates and coaches for my positive testing for marijuana after my UFC 159 fight with Jim Miller,” he stated. “I was fully aware of the UFC and state commission’s drug policies and made poor life choices.

“I stand behind the UFC and state commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA (and sports) a clean, safe and fair place to compete.

“I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and state commission asks of me and beyond. I will make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

Repeated attempts to contact the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board were unsuccessful. But Phil Claud, Healy’s trainer at Sports Lab in Portland, Ore., said the fighter was notified on Saturday by the New Jersey commission about his suspension and win being overturned.

“I’ve been coaching for a long time, and I’ve never had an athlete test positive on any level,” said Claud. “I have to do a lot of soul searching on my side. It affects me personally and every athlete at Sports Lab. But I believe Pat made a mistake. I believe we beat one of the best fighters in the UFC; I don’t believe the marijuana had any influence on the result of the bout. At the end of the day, I believe in Pat. I’m going to follow my gut and continue to support him.”

Claud said Healy told him that he used the drug one month prior to the bout while spending time with old friends.

Healy, 29, submitted Miller in the third round of their April 27 bout, which served on the pay-per-view main card of the event. UFC 159 took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The impressive performance won Healy dual bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Submission of the Night,” which put another $130,000 in disclosed pay in his pocket.

The UFC recently changed its policy to withhold fight-night bonuses until drug testing results are released, so it’s possible Healy’s bonus could be taken back.

It was Healy’s seventh consecutive win, as well, and followed a successful run in the now-defunct Strikeforce.

Mike Constantino, Miller’s manager, declined comment until the UFC confirms the suspension.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC Releases Statement on Anderson Silva’s Suspension, Looks Forward to His Return

Following Anderson Silva's 12-month suspension for testing positive to two anabolic steroids and two anti-anxiety medications, UFC released a statement. read news >>

Brazilian commission releases statement on controversial Jose Aldo drug-test collection

The Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) believes it acted in an ethical and appropriate way while collecting a urine sample from Jose Aldo in June. In a statement released Tuesday, CABMMA COO read news >>

NSAC issues temporary suspensions to Palhares, Shields, Magalhaes pending hearings

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today issued temporary suspensions to WSOF welterweights Rousimar Palhares and Jake Shields, as well as UFC fighter Caio Magalhaes, pending formal hearings for un read news >>

UFC releases statement on Anderson Silva's one-year suspension

The UFC is counting on Anderson Silva being back next year. Silva was suspended Thursday by the Nevada Athletic Commission for failing multiple drug tests in relation to his UFC 183 main event fight read news >>

UFC releases statement on Anthony Johnson's angry rant against woman

Anthony Johnson's apparently incendiary encounter with a woman at the gym is under investigation. The UFC released a statement regarding the incident and Johnson's subsequent angry Facebook rant Wedn read news >>

Investigation Launched: UFC Releases Statement on Anthony Johnson’s Gym Incident

UFC light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson took to Facebook to rant about a gym incident he had on Tuesday, and the UFC has hired an independent law firm to investigate the matter. read news >>

Charles Oliveira neck injury update: Hospitalized 'Do Bronx' releases statement after 'everything went numb'

Charles Oliveira is still in the hospital. "Do Bronx" waved off his featherweight fight against Max Holloway last Sunday night (Aug. 23, 2015) in the main event of UFC Fight Night 74 in Saskatoon, Ca read news >>

Invicta 14: 'Evinger vs. Kianzad' official for Sept. 14 in Kansas City

Invicta Fighting Championships (Invicta FC) today (Mon., Aug. 10, 2015) announced the full, 10-fight card for Invicta FC 14, which streams live on UFC Fight Pass from inside Municipal Auditorium in K read news >>

Video: Watch MMA Hour live stream HERE feat. Rory MacDonald, Tyron Woodley, Diego Sanchez, and more!

Today's (Mon., Aug. 10, 2015) guests include Rory MacDonald, Tyron Woodley, Diego Sanchez, Tim Kennedy, Mike Brown, Amir Khan, Luke Barnatt, George Lockhart, and Dave Meltzer, beginning at 1 p.m. ET read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73: Amanda Nunes vs. Sara McMann video highlights

NASHVILLE – Amanda Nunes made a big statement with a knockout of Sara McMann at UFC Fight Night 73.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>