pat-healy-10.jpgUFC lightweight Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 0-1 UFC) today issued a statement to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in which he apologized for testing positive for marijuana following an upset win over Jim Miller (22-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) at UFC 159.

The UFC declined to comment on the matter, and the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which oversaw the event, does not release the names of those who test positive for banned substances following an event. But a Healy representative told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter was suspended for 90 days by the commission and his win will be overturned to a no contest.

In his statement, Healy took full responsibility for the positive test.

“I would like to start off by apologizing to the UFC, Jim Miller, the MMA community, its fans, my family, teammates and coaches for my positive testing for marijuana after my UFC 159 fight with Jim Miller,” he stated. “I was fully aware of the UFC and state commission’s drug policies and made poor life choices.

“I stand behind the UFC and state commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA (and sports) a clean, safe and fair place to compete.

“I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and state commission asks of me and beyond. I will make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

Repeated attempts to contact the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board were unsuccessful. But Phil Claud, Healy’s trainer at Sports Lab in Portland, Ore., said the fighter was notified on Saturday by the New Jersey commission about his suspension and win being overturned.

“I’ve been coaching for a long time, and I’ve never had an athlete test positive on any level,” said Claud. “I have to do a lot of soul searching on my side. It affects me personally and every athlete at Sports Lab. But I believe Pat made a mistake. I believe we beat one of the best fighters in the UFC; I don’t believe the marijuana had any influence on the result of the bout. At the end of the day, I believe in Pat. I’m going to follow my gut and continue to support him.”

Claud said Healy told him that he used the drug one month prior to the bout while spending time with old friends.

Healy, 29, submitted Miller in the third round of their April 27 bout, which served on the pay-per-view main card of the event. UFC 159 took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The impressive performance won Healy dual bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Submission of the Night,” which put another $130,000 in disclosed pay in his pocket.

The UFC recently changed its policy to withhold fight-night bonuses until drug testing results are released, so it’s possible Healy’s bonus could be taken back.

It was Healy’s seventh consecutive win, as well, and followed a successful run in the now-defunct Strikeforce.

Mike Constantino, Miller’s manager, declined comment until the UFC confirms the suspension.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Invicta FC 19 Fight Card Finalized with Tiffany Van Soest Facing Kalyn Schwartz

Invicta Fighting Championships today announced the last match-up for Invicta FC 19, finalizing the eight-fight card. read news >>

Kim and Nelson to Headline UFC's Return to Belfast

UFC® announced today that No.10-ranked “The Stun Gun” Dong Hyun Kim will take on No.12 Gunnar "Gunni” Nelson in Belfast on Saturday November 19 at the SSE Arena. read news >>

USADA Determines Li Jingliang’s Positive Test Result Came from Contaminated Meat

On Aug. 23, welterweight Li Jingliang was notified by USADA of a potential policy violation stemming from his July 8 fight against Anton Zafir. read news >>

UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem Fantasy Cheat Sheet

In today's fantasy preview, we're going to examine some of these fights to see who has the edge going into Saturday night and if there might be an upset brewing on the card as UFC 203: Miocic vs. Ove read news >>

Nate Diaz Vaping Case Cleared by Nevada, but Still an Issue | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz's post-UFC 202 vaping has been cleared by the Nevada Athletic Commission, but the incident hasn't been put to rest just yet. read news >>

Gennady Golovkin vs. Kell Brook: Someone’s “0” Must Go | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports On Saturday night, London’s O2 Arena will bear witness to Brit Kell “The Special One” Brook stepping up two weight classes to face the Kazakhstani boxing p read news >>

UFC Statement on CB Dollaway

UFC announced that CB Dollaway has had to withdraw from his scheduled bout at UFC 203 due to an injury he suffered last night as a result of an elevator accident at a hotel in Cleveland. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Kicked Travis Browne's Coach and It Was Hilarious | FIGHTLAND

Photo by John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports Watching the first round of the rematch between heavyweights Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne at UFC 203 this past weekend was like watching an action mov read news >>

Fight Night Hidalgo Fantasy Cheat Sheet

In today's fantasy preview, we're going to examine Fight Night Hidalgo and some of the key matchups taking place in Texas at UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson. read news >>

Olympic Gold Medal-Winning Wrestler Kyle Snyder Wants to Compete in MMA | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Michael Madrid-USA TODAY Sports The UFC has a penchant for Olympian medallists. Bantamweights Ronda Rousey and Sara McMann both have bronze and silver medals to their credit respectively, wh read news >>