pat-healy-10.jpgUFC lightweight Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 0-1 UFC) today issued a statement to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in which he apologized for testing positive for marijuana following an upset win over Jim Miller (22-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) at UFC 159.

The UFC declined to comment on the matter, and the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which oversaw the event, does not release the names of those who test positive for banned substances following an event. But a Healy representative told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter was suspended for 90 days by the commission and his win will be overturned to a no contest.

In his statement, Healy took full responsibility for the positive test.

“I would like to start off by apologizing to the UFC, Jim Miller, the MMA community, its fans, my family, teammates and coaches for my positive testing for marijuana after my UFC 159 fight with Jim Miller,” he stated. “I was fully aware of the UFC and state commission’s drug policies and made poor life choices.

“I stand behind the UFC and state commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA (and sports) a clean, safe and fair place to compete.

“I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and state commission asks of me and beyond. I will make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

Repeated attempts to contact the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board were unsuccessful. But Phil Claud, Healy’s trainer at Sports Lab in Portland, Ore., said the fighter was notified on Saturday by the New Jersey commission about his suspension and win being overturned.

“I’ve been coaching for a long time, and I’ve never had an athlete test positive on any level,” said Claud. “I have to do a lot of soul searching on my side. It affects me personally and every athlete at Sports Lab. But I believe Pat made a mistake. I believe we beat one of the best fighters in the UFC; I don’t believe the marijuana had any influence on the result of the bout. At the end of the day, I believe in Pat. I’m going to follow my gut and continue to support him.”

Claud said Healy told him that he used the drug one month prior to the bout while spending time with old friends.

Healy, 29, submitted Miller in the third round of their April 27 bout, which served on the pay-per-view main card of the event. UFC 159 took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The impressive performance won Healy dual bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Submission of the Night,” which put another $130,000 in disclosed pay in his pocket.

The UFC recently changed its policy to withhold fight-night bonuses until drug testing results are released, so it’s possible Healy’s bonus could be taken back.

It was Healy’s seventh consecutive win, as well, and followed a successful run in the now-defunct Strikeforce.

Mike Constantino, Miller’s manager, declined comment until the UFC confirms the suspension.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC Statement on Gilbert Melendez

Following his bout at UFC 188 in Mexico City on June 13, UFC lightweight Gilbert Melendez tested positive for exogenous origin of testosterone metabolites. The UFC has a strict, consistent policy read news >>

Fan Perspective: The UFC's new Reebok uniforms and Yoel Romero's comments

The UFC unveiled its new uniform kits today, a long-awaited reveal with new partner Reebok. Joe Ferraro reached out to get fans’ takes on that, plus Yoel Romero’s controversial post-fight speech in F read news >>

The UFC's Reebok era has finally begun, but things are off to a rocky start

Today we got our first look at the UFC’s new Reebok “fighter kits.” For a change that’s supposed to “elevate” the sport of MMA, it seems just as likely to homogenize it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Check out Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor unveiling new UFC 'fighter kits'

NEW YORK CITY – The UFC and Reebok today unveiled their new “fighter kits,” and the organization’s biggest stars, including champion Ronda Rousey and UFC 189 headliner Conor McGregor, were there to m read news >>

UFC's new Reebok fight kits have some humorous errors

The UFC and Reebok unveiled their long-awaited fight kits today, but some of them didn't turn out as intended. After waiting forever for the UFC and Reebok to put out their fighter uniforms, or fight read news >>

Pic: New UFC uniforms revealed during Reebok 'Fight Kit' press conference

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) held a special media press conference earlier today (Tues., June 30, 2015) in New York City to unveil its long-awaited "Fight Kit" from Reebok. Watch the video re read news >>

Live stream: Watch official UFC-Reebok 'Fight Kit' press conference video here

Today is the big day! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will reveal its Reebok "Fight Kit" during a special media press conference today (Tues., June 30, 2015) in New York City, which means mixed read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC-Reebok 'fight kit' press conference at 10 a.m. ET

The UFC today hosts a press conference as officials and nearly two dozen UFC fighters unveil the new Reebok “fight kits,” and you can just us for a live stream of the festivities today at 10 a.m. ET read news >>

Teammate: Jose Aldo will train today, 'probably won't fight' at UFC 189 if pain gets worse

According to his training partner, Jose Aldo wasn't even able to walk normally last week, will decide if he can fight in first post-injury training today. read news >>

World Series of Fighting Inks Three Champions to New, Exclusive, Multi-Year Deals

World Series of Fighting announced today that it has re-signed three of its reigning world champions: David Branch, Justin Gaethje, and Marlon Moraes. read news >>