Pat Healy - StrikeforceThough it might not have been pretty, Pat “Bam Bam” Healy’s win over former Sengoku champion Mizuto Hirota proved that after years of uncertainty, he’s ready to step up against the best fighters in the world.

“I don’t think it was my best performance, but Hirota is a super-tough guy, he’s battle-tested over in Japan and has always done well against guys who have my style. So it was a tough fight, but I think I did enough to win,” said Healy.

“I kind of had my way in wrestling in my last four or five fights. I guess I got a little complacent in my training and thought I was going to dominate in wrestling. I came in not in peak wrestling condition against an opponent who has such good takedown defense and was able to work off the bottom really well too.”

Ultimately Healy feels it was his groundwork that proved to give him the edge in the judges’ eyes.

“I think the striking was pretty even, so I was able to edge him out with my takedowns and the little bit of ground control I had,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

Having won five fights in a row and six of seven fights in Strikeforce, Healy feels he’s earned a shot at current lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

“I think I’m putting together a lot of momentum and my game is real solid right now,” said Healy. “I think I’ll be a tough fight for anybody. I think I’ve earned a title shot – more so than anybody in Strikeforce – so I’d really like to see me getting a shot at Gil.

“I’m definitely not saying its Gil or nothing. If (Strikeforce feels) like I need to do another fight, that’s what I’ll do. I’m a fighter and I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me, but I feel like I’ve done enough. If they don’t, I’ll fight whoever I have to.”

With fewer Strikeforce shows this year, Healy knows there’s a chance he might not see action again until 2013, but he’s hoping to return to the cage before the year’s out, while working with a UFC vet in the interim.

“I think I’ll definitely be back this year,” he said. “I’d be really disappointed if I wasn’t.

“I came off the fight injury-free and I’m going to turn around and go help BJ Penn prepare (for his fight at UFC 152). I’ll be right back in the thick of things training with BJ and will be ready whenever they need me.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Free Agent Aljamain Sterling Heading to CFFC… for Announcing Gig

Current undefeated bantamweight free agent, Aljamain Sterling returns to Cage Fury this weekend for CFFC 55, as part of the broadcast team. read news >>

Dennis Bermudez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri added to UFC Fight Night 82 in Pittsburgh

A featherweight matchup is heading to Pittsburgh, as Dennis Bermudez meets Tatsuya Kawajiri.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

BJ Penn Sparks Return Rumours with "We Coming" Tweet to UFC and Dana White

UFC legend BJ Penn has dropped a big hint he could be about to return to MMA in a social media post including the caption, "We coming." On his Twitter feed, the former two-weight UFC champion display read news >>

Nik Lentz Has Long List of Demands for BJ Penn Following UFC 197 Call-out

One of the strangest, most random feuds between UFC fighters over the last year has been BJ Penn's beef with Nik Lentz. After months of fighting words, however, both men are now looking for an actual read news >>

BJ Penn Calls Out Nik Lentz; Is His UFC Return for Real?

Former UFC champ BJ Penn resurfaced at Jackson Wink MMA recently and called out Nik Lentz. Is he ready to return to the Octagon... again? read news >>

Adam Stroup is Confident, but Knows He Hasn’t Even Scratched the Surface Yet

Adam Stroup is confident heading into Friday night's RFA 34 in Denver, but believes he hasn't even come close to realizing his full potential. read news >>

Amber Leibrock Making Most of Her Pro Move Heading into Invicta FC 15

Amber Leibrock's first pro victory was a big one, and she intends to follow it up with another impressive performance at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday night. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 18

UFC Fight Night 81 is in the books. The results are as follows (c/o Bleacher Report play-by-play man Craig Amos): Main Card on Fox Sports 1 Dominick Cruz def. T.J. Dillashaw, split-decision (48-47, 4 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 18

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>