Pat Barry doesn’t expect his May 5 meeting with Lavar Johnson to go three rounds.

In fact, if it does, then something went wrong.

“Lavar Johnson is not a distance fighter,” Barry told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He doesn’t go the distance. He doesn’t want to be in there for 15 minutes. I personally want to throw one punch and end the fight and then go home and eat something. I don’t want to go the distance. I count fights that go the distance as a personal loss on my part, which is my style of fighting and how I’ve always been my entire career. I’ve always felt like if the fight goes the distance, then I didn’t do something right.”

The heavyweight matchup is scheduled for the main card at UFC on Fox 3. Johnson made his Octagon debut at UFC on Fox 2 in January, knocking out Joey Beltran. Barry was impressed.

“Joey Beltran had never been knocked out,” said Barry, “never been knocked down, and this guy was able to do it in what? Two minutes? In his UFC debut?”

Johnson is a big, hard-punching opponent. Barry, however, packs plenty of power himself and has fought some of the scariest strikers in both MMA and kickboxing.

“Lavar Johnson has run through the guys he fought in a very aggressive manner,” Barry said. “He’s really aggressive. He has a really intimidating appearance and his aura about him. He’s a pretty confident guy. Do I think anyone has necessarily stood there toe-to-toe with him? No. Am I going to be the first one to do it? I’m not saying that. Probably not. Lavar Johnson kills everybody within two or three minutes of round one, so there’s a chance … if I have to, I’ll run from him for three minutes to take him to minute four, where he’s never been and then employ my game there. But it all depends on what he allows me to do.”

While Barry may not get in a firefight with Johnson, that doesn’t mean he’s going to come in shooting takedowns. His strength is on the feet, and he’ll try to win the fight there.

“Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think that a fight is where you want to experiment with new things,” Barry said with a laugh. “That’s just me. Four out of his five losses have come from submissions, but I don’t know if I want to necessarily practice my submission game when the bell rings with a guy who has fists the size of my head. Like I said, if it’s there, I’ll go for it, but I’m not getting in there looking for that in particular. I see holes in his game everywhere, just like I’m sure he sees holes in my game. He sees things in my game that he can capitalize on. Come fight time, we’ll see what happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:06:40).

UFC and Bellator Veteran Lavar Johnson Sentenced to Five Years for Domestic Violence

Former UFC, Bellator, and Strikeforce fighter Lavar Johnson was sentenced on Friday to five years in prison for domestic violence. read news >>

Fight Night Rotterdam rewind: What you got right & wrong

Fight Night Rotterdam, featuring the heavyweight main event between Alistair Overeem and Andrei Arlovski, featured a few plot twists few saw coming. Here's a look at what people got right and wrong a read news >>

Gunnar Nelson Doesn’t Wrap His Hands Before Fights, Likes to ‘Get the Feel’

UFC welterweight contender Gunnar Nelson doesn't wrap his hands before fights and doesn't plan to start. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Doesn’t Believe People Will Talk About a Fight with Ronda Rousey

Don't put all your hope on Cris "Cyborg" Justino fighting Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate or Holly Holm at 135 pounds. Not yet, anyway. read news >>

UFC 198 rewind: What you got right & wrong

UFC 198, featuring the main event heavyweight title fight between Stipe Miocic and Fabricio Werdum, featured a few plot twists few saw coming. Here's a look at what people got right and wrong about t read news >>

Chael Sonnen: People Throwing Away the Idea of McGregor vs. Mayweather Are Wrong

Chael Sonnen says that those who dismiss a Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather fight altogether are wrong, and explains how the fight could come together. read news >>

Conor McGregor All Smiles After Secret Meeting with Dana White

The relationship between Conor McGregor and UFC brass has been a hot topic for months now, and it seems to have only gotten worse over recent weeks. With that in mind, UFC executives had a clandestin read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on Meeting with Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor said he is in a "good place" with the UFC after meeting with co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta and president Dana White on Wednesday. The two sides met in Los Angele read news >>

Conor McGregor on Meeting with White and Fertitta: ‘Let’s Fix It and Continue’

Conor McGregor and his UFC bosses had a meeting of the minds this week in Los Angeles, reportedly leaving them "in a good place" to work together. read news >>

Rumor Mill: Dana White Supposedly Stormed Out of Nate Diaz Meeting, Photo Begs to Differ

Although a meeting with Conor McGregor went well, the rumor mill has Dana White storming out of a Friday meeting with Nate Diaz. read news >>