UFC strawweight Paige VanZant revealed that Ken Shamrock was her head coach and a "big support" in the early portion of her career.

Paige VanZant may be too young to legally take part in The Ultimate Fighter but she was not too young to learn leglock from UFC heavyweight Ken Shamrock at an earlier age at the Lion's Den.

The Nevada native, who is one of the women signed to the UFC's newly created stawweight division, may train out of Team Alpha Male the majority of the time, but she credits Shamrock for being a "big support" during the early portion of her career.

"He was there the whole time. He was our head coach so it was really awesome. I had a few boxing fights before I did MMA and he went to all of them. He was a really, really big support for the first part of my career. I am still in touch with his family.

VanZant's decision to go to Shamrock's gym was purely based on the fact that her dad was a fan of his fights. Once she spent a while at the gym she realized that she really enjoyed "punching people in the face."

"He [my dad] was a huge fan of Ken Shamrock, so when we went out to Reno and he wanted me to a gym, I ended up falling in love with it. Ken [Shamrock] said I had a lot of potential, and I ended up just really liking punching people in the face."

When asked whether Shamrock was a better coach in real life than he was on The Ultimate Fighter, VanZant avoided a direct response by politely replying: "I really learned a lot of leg locks; that's what I'll take from it."

Bellator 138's Justin Lawrence credits Dominick Cruz for career resurgence, in 'best shape ever' for Sean Wilson fight

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) alum and UFC veteran, Justin Lawrence, is ready to try his luck with a new promotion this weekend. And we ask him all about it in this exclusive interview. Justin Lawrence read news >>

Ken Shamrock says 'entitlements' got in the way of his career

ST. LOUIS, Mo. -- UFC Hall of Fame entrant and MMA pioneer Ken Shamrock spoke to MMA Fighting on Wednesday at the Bellator 138 open workouts. The fighter spoke about facing Kimbo Slice, what went wro read news >>

Bellator 138 results: Kimbo Slice survives early scare, blasts Ken Shamrock in first

ST. LOUIS – For a brief moment, it appeared the 51-year-old Ken Shamrock would pull off the upset over streetfighting legend Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson. Then, in an instant, everything changed.File read news >>

Bellator 138: Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock video highlights

ST. LOUIS – Check out the video highlights as Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson overcame some early troubles to defeat fellow vet Ken Shamrock on Friday at Bellator 138.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Ne read news >>

Paige VanZant vs. Alex Chambers booked for UFC 191 on Sept. 5

UFC strawweight star Paige VanZant has her next bout. She will face Alex Chambers at UFC 191 on Sept. 5 in Las Vegas.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Red Hot Paige VanZant to Return Against Alex Chambers at UFC 191

Red hot Paige VanZant is burning up the strawweight division, but the UFC isn't rushing her into the title picture with her next bout. read news >>

Morning Report: Ken Shamrock says Joe Rogan 'could have ruined my career and life' with 'fake' fight comments

It hasn't been a great week for Ken Shamrock. After getting knocked out by Kimbo Slice in their grudge match June 19 at Bellator 138, Shamrock was slammed by a contingent claiming the UFC Hall of Fam read news >>

Ken Shamrock slams Joe Rogan over phony fix: 'He could have ruined my career and my life'

"Why in the world would someone in Joe Rogan's position sound off on something like that when there's no proof, when it's just speculation of his thoughts of what he thought? That could literally rui read news >>

Shamrock responds to Rogan’s fight fixing speculation: You can ruin someone’s career

Ken Shamrock responds to Joe Rogan’s fight fixing speculation following Bellator 138. read news >>

Ken Shamrock on Joe Rogan's fight-fixing talk: 'He could have ruined my career '

Ken Shamrock is miffed with Joe Rogan after the UFC commentator’s implication that Shamrock’s recent Bellator 138 fight with Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson had a “fixed” outcome. Filed under: Bellator, read news >>