ovince-st-preux-ufc-171When he first learned his UFC 171 opponent had scratched from the card, Ovince St. Preux seemed most upset that his strict dieting would go to waste.

It didn’t. But after beating short-notice replacement Nikita Krylov (16-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC), the 30-year-old light heavyweight still had weight on his mind.

“Even throughout the week, I felt good,” St. Preux (15-5 MMA, 3-0 UFC) told MMAjunkie after this past Saturday’s pay-per-view event at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. “My weight felt good. I came in at about 217 (pounds), and I only had to lose two pounds when I woke up Friday morning, and I don’t think I even got up to 220 today. But other than that, I felt really good.”

What felt really good, though, was the benefit that followed his win: money. He got a lot more of than his contracted purse for submitting his opponent with a little-seen Von Flue choke in the PPV opener.

“(I’m) definitely happy because it got me $50,000,” St. Preux, who won a “Performance of the Night” bonus, said. “I really wanted to stand up in this fight, but coach wanted me to take him down, because I could take advantage of him on the ground. But the minute he grabbed my head, I was like, ‘This is a move I learned, like, five years ago.’ And I stuck to it and finished with that.”

As he said in a previous interview, St. Preux wasn’t happy to lose his originally scheduled opponent when Thiago Silva went on an alleged domestic rampage that left him in jail, and he certainly didn’t approve of the abuse allegations surrounding the Brazilian fighter. But while the circumstances leading up to the bout may have been unfortunate, he was able to salvage the buzz lost with an impressive win over a lesser-known opponent.

Asked on Saturday whether he had gained as much by beating Krylov rather than Silva, St. Preux said, “probably not as much as if I would have fought Thiago.”

St. Preux, however, now has won three straight in the UFC since transferring from the now-defunct Strikeforce promotion, and he’s finished three out of his past four opponents. That should give him some good traction in the light-heavyweight division, but how much is yet to be known.

St. Preux said he might not have taken a big leap, but he certainly hasn’t slipped.

“Just because of what I did, the Von Flue, a lot of people noticed it, and a lot of people are going to be talking about it,” he said. “So either way, it works for me.”

For complete coverage of UFC 171, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

* * * *

Check out video highlights and a recap of UFC 171:

This embed is invalid

"/>

The Question: Does Ronda Rousey Have a Future in MMA After UFC 207?

In 2015, Ronda Rousey had the whole world's attention. She was demolishing foes in a way never seen before. She was setting pay-per-view records. She was main eventing shows around the world. She was read news >>

BJ Penn Doesn't Waiver: 'First Goal, 145-Pound Champ' (UFC Phoenix video) | MMAWeekly.com

BJ Penn is reveling in the attention of the fans, but make no bones about it, he is back in the Octagon because he wants another UFC belt. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 early weigh-in results : UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn (146) cleared for return

PHOENIX – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC Fight Night 103 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 11 a.m. ET (8 a.m. PT, 9 a.m. MT local time).Filed under: F read news >>

The First … and Last … Time Peggy Morgan Cried After a Fight | MMAWeekly.com

UFC and Invicta FC veteran Peggy Morgan walks us down her road to retirement. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Phoenix: Rodriguez vs. Penn Weigh-In Replay | MMAWeekly.com

The 24 fighters competing on Sunday's UFC Fight Night 103 fight card in Phoenix officially weighed in on Saturday at the Talking Stick Resort. read news >>

Video replay: UFC Fight Night 103 fighter weigh-ins in Phoenix

PHOENIX – Check out a video replay of today’s ceremonial UFC Fight Night 103 fighter weigh-ins.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night Phoenix Main Event Face-Off Video | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night Phoenix main event fighters, BJ Penn and Yair Rodriguez, weigh-in and face-off at at the Talking Stick Resort on Saturday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 ceremonial weigh-in video, photos: Penn, Rodriguez finally face off

PHOENIX – The ceremonial weigh-ins are complete for the UFC’s Sunday return to Phoenix, and the fighters all faced off for the first time this week.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

Invicta FC 21 results: Megan Anderson captures interim 145-pound title, calls out future UFC champ

“Hey, Dana White,” newly-crowned Invicta FC interim featherweight champion Megan Anderson called right after yet another victorious (and violent) display. “You tell Holly (Holm) and Germaine (de Rand read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 discussion thread

PHOENIX – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s UFC Fight Night 103 event at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix, which kicks off at 6:15 p.m. ET (3:15 p.m. PT). You can discuss the read news >>