Overeem Granted Conditional License for UFC 141 by NSAC

• submit to reddit

Alistair Overeem will fight at UFC 141 as planned. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Despite plenty of speculation to the contrary in recent days, the UFC 141 main event between Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem is still on schedule.

On Monday, the Nevada State Athletic Commission granted Overeem a conditional license even though the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion has yet to submit a satisfactory pre-fight urinalysis.

Overeem’s license was issued with three stipulations. First, Overeem must submit an observed urine sample within 72 hours at a NSAC-recognized facility in Europe. He will also be tested upon arriving in the United States from the Netherlands prior to UFC 141. Finally, Overeem will be subject to two random drug tests in the six months after his Dec. 30 bout with Lesnar.

While under oath, Overeem explained to the commission the conditions which led to him leaving the U.S. on Nov. 17, the same day the first sample was requested by NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer.

“I apologize for the delay,” Overeem said by phone during Monday’s meeting. “In my case, there were three factors involved. My mother is not doing so well, and that is why I moved my camp back to my country. Second, because this is my first fight with the state of Nevada and the UFC. Thirdly, because the procedures of testing in Holland differ significantly than the procedure in the States.”

Overeem said that he was not made aware of Kizer’s request by his assistant until he had left the country. He took his first test on Nov. 23, six days after the initial request.

“When I got the request to test myself, I took the test straight away,” he said. “When I got the results, I immediately submitted them, and I thought that should be sufficient for the commission. After a couple of days, I received notice that it was not sufficient and I needed to do more testing. I went back to the doctor and had my second test done, now with the full parameters provided by the state athletic commission. This was taken last Thursday, Dec. 7. The results are due (in) seven to 10 days, so I’m expecting them sometime this week.”

Overeem took a blood test instead of the required urinalysis on Nov. 23. Kizer said that the results of the blood test came back clean.

The commission’s greatest concern on Monday was the time between Nov. 17, the date Kizer requested a drug test, and Dec. 7, the day Overeem finally submitted to proper testing. The K-1 veteran denied that he had he had attempted to skirt the process.

“I did not take any effort to avoid any testing. Furthermore, I’ve done exactly what I’ve been told to do by my assistants, who’ve been told what to do by Mr. Kizer,” Overeem stated.

Overeem also cited a lack of familiarity with the drug testing method of the NSAC as another reason for the delay.

“It’s really hard to test myself here, and I’ve never been through this procedure before,” he said. “Every time I got the notice, ‘You have to go to the doctor to get the test done,’ I went the next day.”

Overeem was also asked about his lack of correspondence with the UFC during the ordeal.

“In training camp, I don’t communicate with the UFC -- my assistants do that for me,” he said.

While the commission ultimately recognized Overeem’s explanation as honest and was sympathetic to his personal issues, it also promised “more Draconian measures” the next time a fighter does not take a test in the allotted time frame.

Kizer said that since the commission reinstated random, out-of-competition testing on July 1, more than 50 mixed martial artists have been tested, with none experiencing delays similar to Overeem. Meanwhile, Lesnar was asked to submit a screening on the same day as Overeem and did so on Nov. 21.

He's back! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Vitor Belfort has been cleared to return to the Octagon following his failed drug test back in February, which required "The Phenom" to purge his body of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) before challenging for the 185-pound strap. The verdict was handed down earlier today (Weds., July 23, 2014) during his administrative hearing with Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), which aired online via UFC Fight Pass (live blo read news >>

Originally airing on Fight Pass, UFC has now made the highlights available on YouTube. Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) summoned Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweights Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen to its July 23 administrative hearing to render verdicts for each fighter. Both "The Phenom" and "The American Gangster" failed pre-fight drug tests earlier this year. After breaking down in tears, the Brazilian was awarded a conditional license, and will move on to fight Chris Wei read news >>

The face of the UFC has one major obstacle left. For Ronda Rousey, the sport's equivalent to Tiger Woods at this point, a unique opportunity has presented itself. Already in the co-main event of Saturday night's UFC 175, Rousey may have a chance to step in and be the headlining act at UFC 176, too. For all of her talk about wanting time off to recuperate, things have done a 180 since it was announced the promotion lost its main event at 176, a featherweight title match between Jose Aldo and Chad read news >>

LAS VEGAS – Russell Doane realizes his position opening the UFC 175 pay-per-view main card against Marcus Brimage is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. To make the most of that opportunity, Doane “changed everything up.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The two biggest favorites on Saturday’s UFC 175 main card also are the only two unanimous nods in the MMAjunkie staff picks.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

If you enjoy MMA, you're going to enjoy this weekend. More than 30 fights go down over the Independence Day holiday, and none is bigger than Chris Weidman's UFC middleweight title defense against Lyoto Machida. Machida has looked nothing less than spectacular since moving down to 185 pounds, and a win over Weidman would render him a rare bird: a dual-division champ. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. There's lots of action, almost head-spinningly so. Good thing Bleacher Report has our read news >>

The rematch you've been dying to see is now reality, as Antonio Silva once again tangles with Andrei Arlovski this fall in Brasilia. Your eyes aren't deceiving you - Andrei Arlovski is a UFC main event fighter in 2014. To expand further, Arlovski will face Antonio Silva in a five-round fight on September 13th in the Brazilians capital of Brasilia. MMA Fighting confirmed the news first that was first reported by Combate. The main card will air live on Fox Sports 1. Silva (18-5, 1 NC) is coming of read news >>

Check out the UFC 175 main and co-main event face-offs from the Friday's weigh-ins in Las Vegas. Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida and Ronda Rousey and Alexis Davis go nose to nose. read news >>

In the latest edition of the UFC’s new web series, go behind the scenes of the last days leading up to Saturday’s UFC 175.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>