jessica-andrade.jpgSEATTLE – Jessica Andrade will be part of yet another first for the UFC when she makes her debut for the promotion on Saturday.

For the first time in the promotion’s history, two openly gay fighters will meet in the octagon when Andrade (9-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) takes on Liz Carmouche (8-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) on the main card of UFC on FOX 8.

But as far as Andrade is concerned, it’s pretty much business as usual in Seattle.

“Everything I do ends up reflecting on the (gay) community, but it’s not something I’ll hide,” the Brazilian told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) through a translator. “It is what it is. There’s nothing wrong with it, and I’ll keep on doing (what I’m doing).”

Carmouche made her UFC debut in February against Ronda Rousey in a women’s bantamweight title fight – and she gave Rousey the biggest scare of her career before succumbing, like everyone else, to a first-round armbar.

The story lines around Carmouche’s sexual orientation were a lot more prevalent than for Andrade, who will be fighting in the United States for the first time. In her native Brazil, she said only once was there any kind of an issue over her preferences.

“The fight community as a whole in Brazil is very supportive” Andrade said. “All the fighters respect my sexual orientation There was only one instance where I did an interview and some people in the forums said some stuff. But it wasn’t anything compared to how the whole community deals with it.”

The way most of the UFC’s fights in the women’s bantamweight division have been so far, Andrade’s personal life probably will be pretty far off the radar if the fight with Carmouche follows the trend toward “Fight of the Night” candidate.

And that seems to be how Andrade is thinking, too.

“This is a tough opponent, and a lot different than most of the girls I’ve fought before,” she said. “But I have fought some very tough girls. I just came from a fight in Russia, where I fought the best girl they have there. I’ve fought a former boxing champion. I’ve fought bigger girls, too. I’ve been training a lot, and hopefully everything goes all right as planned.”

Back-to-back choke submission wins in 2013 got Andrade her call from the UFC. She has had 11 pro fights in just 22 months as a pro, averaging a fight every eight weeks or so. And that type of schedule is what she likes best.

She said she had five fights scheduled over the next six months before the UFC gave her a call to fight Carmouche.

“It was mostly tough opponents, and it was going to add up to something bigger to make my name out of it,” she said. “It was a good deal all around.”

Now she has a chance to make her name off one opponent on a big UFC stage instead of making her name with wins in bulk.

And while she’s at it, a win also would be a little bonus for the gay community, too.

“It’s a big mark on the sport, especially in the UFC,” she said. “Getting a chance to fight on national TV is huge. It’s a huge opportunity, anyway. But we are getting a good chance to show the sports community what we’re capable of, and I’ll try to make everyone proud while I’m there.

“I hope to win, like everybody else. But most of all, I’m here to put on a show for the crowd.”

UFC on FOX 8 takes place at KeyArena in Seattle with a main card on FOX following prelims on FX and Facebook. Andrade and Carmouche fight as part of the FOX-televised main card.

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jessica Andrade vs. Sarah Moras added to UFC Fight Night 71 in San Diego

A women’s bantamweight bout has been added to the UFC’s summer return to San Diego.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Video: UFC on FOX analysts, including Rashad Evans and TJ Dillashaw, preview UFC 187: "Johnson vs. Cormier" championship doubleheader set for this Saturday night (May 23, 2015) inside MGM Grand Garde read news >>

Daniel Cormier on Chael Sonnen's 'punk' comment: 'Remember the source'

Chael Sonnen recently made headlines for the first time in awhile when he chimed in on the UFC light heavyweight title situation. Speaking on his podcast, Sonnen said that anyone who would accept the read news >>

UFC 187 results: Daniel Cormier smashes, then submits, Anthony Johnson to become new Light Heavyweight champion

For the first time in more than four years, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has a new Light Heavyweight champion not named Jon Jones: Daniel Cormier. Cormier and Anthony Johnson squared off toni read news >>

Bader plans to face ‘diva’ Cormier for title: I deserve that belt around my waist

• a day ago

UFC light-heavyweight Ryan Bader delves into his issues with Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Anthony Pettis injured, Edson Barboza steps in vs. Myles Jury at UFC on FOX 16

Anthony Pettis has been struck by injury once again and has been forced out of his scheduled bout with Myles Jury at UFC on FOX 16 on July 25. Striking special Edson Barboza has been tapped as his re read news >>

UFC on FOX 16: Anthony Pettis injured, Nate Diaz laughs at him, and Edson Barboza steps in to fight Myles Jury

What was that ... something about karma? After having a few laughs at the expense of the injured Khabib Nurmagomedov, former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion Anthony Pettis h read news >>

Jessamyn Duke vs. Elizabeth Phillips added to UFC on FOX 16

A second women’s bantamweight bout has been added to UFC on FOX 16, and this one may well fit the bill of a “loser leaves town” fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC overhauls Hall of Fame, plans physical location for future inductees

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will once again hold its Hall of Fame (HOF) induction ceremony during International Fight Week, which coincides with the upcoming UFC 189: "Aldo vs. McGregor" pay read news >>

GLORY 22: Heavyweight champion Verhoeven plans to drown challenger in deep water

• 16 hours ago

Rico ‘The Prince’ Verhoeven makes his second defense of his heavyweight title this Friday June 5 in the main event of GLORY 22 FRANCE. The young Dutch champion faces Benjamin Adegbuyi, a Romanian tal read news >>