lucas-pimenta-2.jpgBellator vet Lucas Pimenta finally has received his pay from an ill-fated event in Texas.

“He almost quit MMA, and he’s back and focused and training again,” Pimenta’s manager, Wade Hampel, said.

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation confirmed that Pimenta was cut a check for $14,800, which was close to the maximum he could receive when the Ultimate Warrior Fighting promotion went belly-up.

“There was $200 paid to another person who didn’t receive monies owed for the event and the rest was paid to Mr. Pimenta,” wrote Susan Stanford in an email to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The Brazilian fighter’s manager was left struggling to pay his bills when the UWC was shuttered after holding four events in the Lone Star State. UWC promoter Oscar Enriquez said he lost his life savings in the process and was forced to buck retirement for a job in construction.

Unfortunately, he also had to stop payment on a check due to Pimenta for his work, which included wins over John Malbrough, Mitch Whitesel and “The Ultimate Fighter 13? cast member Shamar Bailey in a three-event, winner-takes-all welterweight grand prix.

The events were overseen by the TDLR, which regulates combat-sports events in Texas.

Enriquez had secured two $15,000 bonds to cover taxes on the gross receipts for the show and fighter purses. But getting the money was far from an easy task for Pimenta, who hasn’t fought since a submission loss this past September in Legacy Fighting Championship.

While the TDLR ordered Enriquez to pay a variety of fines, Pimenta waited as the commission sought to recover his money from the bonding company.

“Part of the investigation includes making sure all other fighters and workers (judges, referees, physicians) were paid, that the people did in fact fight or work at the event,” Stanford wrote. “The bond money is then divided among the claimants.”

In the interim, Enriquez did send $1,500 to Pimenta’s wife via wire transfer, and the fighter’s primary sponsor, Dom Fight Gear, donated 50 percent of its earnings this past February.

However, the hit to Pimenta’s pocketbook forced him to take a job as a construction worker.

Pimenta (8-2) still works the job, Hampel said, but is now considering a fight against UFC vet Pete Spratt in the near future.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Ontario commission hasn’t received UFC 206 bout proposal for Kelvin Gastelum, will honor all suspensions

  • 5 days ago
  • 18 views

UFC middleweight Kelvin Gastelum needs some good news in order to fight Tim Kennedy, and quickly. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 166's Chris Honeycutt Plans To Be Champion By End of 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 4 days ago
  • 6 views

Chris Honeycutt looks to pick up his third win in a row when he takes on Ben Reiter at Bellator 166 on Friday. read news >>

Justin Lawrence Plans to 'Take John Teixeira's Head Off' at Bellator 167 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 4 days ago
  • 3 views

Justin Lawrence steps in on late notice for his return at Bellator 167 on Saturday to take on John Teixeira in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Bellator 167's Ilima MacFarlane just told her day job if she wins next fight, she quits

  • 4 days ago
  • 13 views

There’s nothing like the threat of unemployment to make you fight harder.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

AJ McKee 'Making His Own Legacy' at Bellator 166 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 3 days ago
  • 8 views

AJ McKee will look to duplicate his three-win success from last year, when he takes on late replacement Ray Wood in a 145-pound co-main event at Bellator 166. read news >>

Paul Daley to face Brennan Ward at Bellator 170

  • 3 days ago
  • 8 views

One of Bellator’s “tent pole” events has added another big clash.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Paul Daley Bout Added to Bellator 170: Ortiz vs. Sonnen | MMAWeekly.com

  • 3 days ago
  • 2 views

Paul Daley will return to the cage at Bellator 170, joining the card that features Tito Ortiz vs. Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum settles with New York commission, cleared to fight at UFC 206

  • 3 days ago
  • 7 views

As UFC middleweight Kelvin Gastelum predicted, his suspension with the New York State Athletic Commission was a mere speed bump on the way to fighting Tim Kennedy at UFC 206.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC stars including St-Pierre and Cerrone, former Bellator boss Rebney announce MMA Athletes Association to challenge UF

  • 3 days ago
  • 32 views

A group of five UFC fighters and former Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney today announced the formation of the MMA Athletes Association, which seeks to organize fighters with the aim of getting better treatm read news >>

Tim Kennedy vs. Kelvin Gastelum is Finally Official for UFC 206 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 3 days ago
  • 8 views

Wednesday was a good day for Tim Kennedy. He announced the new Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association and got approval for his next fight. read news >>