Muhammed Lawal may currently stand one victory away from Bellator’s Season 8 tournament finals, but one year ago, he was just a man fighting for his life.

Stricken with a severe staph infection contracted from knee surgery, Lawal could only watch as the bacteria gradually ate away at his leg. After undergoing weeks of treatment to combat the infection -- a process that only made him feel worse -- “King Mo” had all but given up on his chances of survival.

“I felt helpless, because I could do nothing,” Lawal recently told “All I could do was wait. I started eating more food and putting weight back on, and I’d just get sicker. I didn’t know what to do, man. I was trying to give up. I was like, I’m going to quit taking my meds. I’m done. If I die, then I die. I had to see results to keep moving forward. I can’t lie.”

Lawal’s doctor talked him into two more weeks of treatment -- a decision that eventually led to the fighter’s full recovery and dual contracts with TNA Wrestling and Bellator. Lawal returned to the cage last month at Bellator 86, running through Polish veteran Przemyslaw Mysiala to advance in the Season 8 light heavyweight tournament.

Lawal will now face Emanuel Newton in tonight’s Bellator 90 co-main event from the Maverik Center in Salt Lake City, with the winner earning a spot in the tournament finals. While “The Hardcore Kid” is not known for his power punching, Lawal believes that Newton -- a former training partner -- will nevertheless serve as a stiff test due to his well-roundedness.

“With solid guys, you never know where you could have an advantage. It could be anywhere,” said Lawal. “He excels as far as his patience, and he knows my style. He can find someone to try to mimic my style. As far as finding somebody to mimic his style, it’s kind of hard to find somebody who can do that. I’m a student of the game, so I’ve picked up some things that he does. Come fight time, you’ll see.”

Like most all Bellator debutants, Lawal is learning about the Bellator tournament structure as he goes. Though the former Strikeforce champion said that he has been pacing himself in training to accommodate for a potential three fights in as many months, Lawal has nevertheless been working hard at both the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., and the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas.

“I’m just training like I normally train. Last week, I was at 208, three pounds overweight. So I don’t worry about my weight. I just go. I grapple hard, and I spar hard,” said Lawal. “I’m not making it a habit to train like I have one fight. I’m training at a smart pace so that I peak like I normally do in the finals.”

Former Bellator Champ Michael Chandler Will Do Whatever it Takes to Get Belt Back

Former Bellator champ Michael Chandler has finally turned things around, and he doesn't plan on stopping before he gets the belt back. read news >>

Marcin Held scoffs at Will Brooks' 'one-dimensional' label ahead of Bellator title fight

Marcin Held has no interest in engaging in a war of words with Will Brooks ahead of their Bellator lightweight championship showdown at Bellator 145 on Nov. 6. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 146 gets Houston Alexander vs. Guilherme Viana and five more prelims

The lineup for Bellator 146 is complete with the addition of one main card bout and five preliminary contests.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>