Muhammed Lawal may currently stand one victory away from Bellator’s Season 8 tournament finals, but one year ago, he was just a man fighting for his life.

Stricken with a severe staph infection contracted from knee surgery, Lawal could only watch as the bacteria gradually ate away at his leg. After undergoing weeks of treatment to combat the infection -- a process that only made him feel worse -- “King Mo” had all but given up on his chances of survival.

“I felt helpless, because I could do nothing,” Lawal recently told Sherdog.com. “All I could do was wait. I started eating more food and putting weight back on, and I’d just get sicker. I didn’t know what to do, man. I was trying to give up. I was like, I’m going to quit taking my meds. I’m done. If I die, then I die. I had to see results to keep moving forward. I can’t lie.”

Lawal’s doctor talked him into two more weeks of treatment -- a decision that eventually led to the fighter’s full recovery and dual contracts with TNA Wrestling and Bellator. Lawal returned to the cage last month at Bellator 86, running through Polish veteran Przemyslaw Mysiala to advance in the Season 8 light heavyweight tournament.

Lawal will now face Emanuel Newton in tonight’s Bellator 90 co-main event from the Maverik Center in Salt Lake City, with the winner earning a spot in the tournament finals. While “The Hardcore Kid” is not known for his power punching, Lawal believes that Newton -- a former training partner -- will nevertheless serve as a stiff test due to his well-roundedness.

“With solid guys, you never know where you could have an advantage. It could be anywhere,” said Lawal. “He excels as far as his patience, and he knows my style. He can find someone to try to mimic my style. As far as finding somebody to mimic his style, it’s kind of hard to find somebody who can do that. I’m a student of the game, so I’ve picked up some things that he does. Come fight time, you’ll see.”

Like most all Bellator debutants, Lawal is learning about the Bellator tournament structure as he goes. Though the former Strikeforce champion said that he has been pacing himself in training to accommodate for a potential three fights in as many months, Lawal has nevertheless been working hard at both the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., and the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas.

“I’m just training like I normally train. Last week, I was at 208, three pounds overweight. So I don’t worry about my weight. I just go. I grapple hard, and I spar hard,” said Lawal. “I’m not making it a habit to train like I have one fight. I’m training at a smart pace so that I peak like I normally do in the finals.”

Quinton Jackson vs. Muhammed Lawal 2 set for March 31 at Bellator 175

• 2 hours ago

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Muhammed Lawal will get a second chance to prove he’s better than Quinton Jackson. And this time, he’ll do it at heavyweight.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 170 results: Paul Daley knocks out Brennan Ward with flying knee, calls out Rory MacDonald

• an hour ago

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Paul Daley promised to end his fight with Brennan Ward in spectacular fashion. That’s exactly what happened when he scored a highlight-reel flying knee knockout. Filed under: Bell read news >>

Paul Daley Scores 29th Career Knockout, Calls Out Rory MacDonald (Bellator 170 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

• an hour ago

Paul Daley rebounded from a decision loss to Douglas Lima in July by knocking out Brennan Ward in the first round of the Bellator 170 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tito Ortiz's retirement-fight victory over Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170

• an hour ago

Tito Ortiz’s long and illustrious MMA career ended on a high on Saturday night. Check out the top reactions on social media.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator 170 results: Tito Ortiz stuns Chael Sonnen, taps him out in first

• an hour ago

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Tito Ortiz ended his long and decorated MMA career on a triumphant note, submitting Chael Sonnen in the first round with a rear-naked choke. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Tito Ortiz vs. Chael Sonnen Results: Bellator 170 Winner, Scorecard and Reaction

• an hour ago

Sometimes a fight just means so much to someone they just find a way to win. Such was the case when underdog Tito Ortiz defeated Chael Sonnen in the main event at Bellator 170 by first-round submissi read news >>

Tito Ortiz Taps Out Chael Sonnen in Final Fight of His Career (Bellator 170 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

• an hour ago

It was Tito Ortiz's final trip to the cage when he faced Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170. He made it a memorable one. read news >>

Bellator 170 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Ortiz vs. Sonnen Card

• 43 minutes ago

Bellator 170 will be remembered as the final sendoff for an MMA legend in Tito Ortiz. The Huntington Beach Bad Boy looked like a blast from the past in taking former UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen read news >>

Video: Watch Chael Sonnen beat Tito Ortiz in 44 seconds ... in a 1998 wrestling match

When Chael Sonnen and Tito Ortiz face off at Bellator 170, it won’t be their first time meeting in athletic competition.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Cain Velasquez Removed from UFC 207, Fight Card Proceeds with 10 Fights

UFC 207 has lost its heavyweight showcase, but the show continues on with 10 fights. Cain Velasquez didn’t get the Christmas present he wanted. The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) pulled Velasquez f read news >>