chris-weidman-12.jpgMiddleweight title challenger Chris Weidman would fight Jon Jones – if the UFC asked him.

“I mean, I’ve got to beat Anderson (Silva) first,” the undefeated Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said during a media teleconference in support of his headliner against Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) at next week’s UFC 162 event. “That’s the first big step. Whatever the UFC fans and UFC want to do and the fight they want to see, I’m definitely willing to do.”

To be clear, nobody is yet asking Weidman to step up in weight to fight the light heavyweight champ Jones, which is what Silva is expected to do if he’s victorious on July 6 at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. (Jones, too, has to make it past Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in September.)

Weidman’s chances aren’t as bad as some who’ve faced the middleweight kingpin, as betting lines indicate. But a win over Silva certainly would be one of the most significant upsets in MMA history.

It would also spoil a superfight fans are clamoring for like no other matchup in the sport. Now that welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre has indicated he won’t be fighting Silva any time soon, Jones is the most-requested matchup outside “The Spider’s” weight class. A fight between the two would be hugely successful for the UFC.

Although unrealistic, putting Weidman in Silva’s place seems the logical thing to do. And the title challenger’s answer is what you’d expect for someone with nothing to lose and everything to gain in such a scenario.

But like everyone else, Weidman isn’t exactly asking for the chance. It’s been a year since he last fought, as he first saw his house inundated by Hurricane Sandy and then got injured in preparation for a title eliminator this past December. Next week is the biggest fight of his career, against the best fighter in the world. If anything, the New York native might be asking for the services of a mental coach to help him rise to the considerable challenge.

“I think if I let all that stuff get in my mind, it would definitely get to me,” he said. “But I think I’m really focused on this fight. I don’t need a mental coach. If I had a mental coach, it would be (striking coach) Ray Longo. I speak to him every day.

“As far as a psychologist, I’m good. I have a psychology degree, so that might help a little bit. I just know what type of mindset I need to have to walk in that cage, and I visualize the fight every day and all day long. The biggest thing is to stay confident and stay relaxed, and just make sure I dictate my fight when I get in there.

“I’m pretty good with having a strong mindset and not letting things get to me. I think I got a little ADD, so I can’t focus on too many things at the same time.”

For more on UFC 162, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Daniel Cormier Reveals UFC 200 Game Plan for Jon Jones Rematch

Light heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier and former titleholder Jon Jones will rematch at UFC 200. Cormier says he’s not changing his game plan from their first fight. read news >>

How Daniel Cormier Can Beat Jon Jones at UFC 200

Daniel Cormier, be careful what you wish for. Sometimes dreams come true. For Cormier, that day comes at UFC 200. He'll get one more chance to prove that he can beat Jon Jones, widely considered the read news >>

UFC 200 Free Fight: Jon Jones Dominates, Defends Belt Against Daniel Cormier

Relive the first match-up between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier at UFC 182 before their heated rivalry hits the Octagon again at UFC 200. read news >>

Daniel Cormier: Stem Cells Have Him on Track for Jon Jones at UFC 200

UFC light heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier says stem cells have his injured leg on the mend. His only UFC 200 stumbling block? Himself. read news >>

Injury Forces Chris Weidman Out of UFC 199 Bout, Michael Bisping Willing to Step In

Chris Weidman is out of his rematch with Luke Rockhold at UFC 199, but Michael Bisping quickly let it be known that he is prepared to step in and take his place. read news >>

Chris Weidman Reportedly Pulls out of UFC 199 vs. Luke Rockhold Due to Injury

The most likely candidate may be Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, who needed only one round to knock out Vitor Belfort at UFC 198 on Saturday. Fighting in back-to-back months would be something of a Herculean read news >>

UFC 199 Free Fight: Luke Rockhold Takes the Title from Chris Weidman

Re-watch the thrilling fight from UFC 194 when Luke Rockhold took the middleweight belt from Chris Weidman. read news >>

Chris Weidman’s Open Letter to Fans, Explaining Severe Neck Injury

Chris Weidman on Wednesday penned an open letter to fans, posting it on Facebook, to explain the severe neck injury that forced him out of UFC 199. read news >>

Chris Weidman Reveals Neck Injury That Could Put Him Out 6 to 12 Weeks

News broke on Tuesday that Chris Weidman was out of UFC 199. On Wednesday, he revealed a serious neck injury that could put him out 6 to 12 weeks. read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Chris Weidman at UFC 199: Latest Comments, Reaction

UFC has found a replacement for the injured Chris Weidman at UFC 199, as Michael Bisping will challenge Luke Rockhold on June 4, per Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times. Per Jason Floyd of the MMA read news >>