chris-weidman-12.jpgMiddleweight title challenger Chris Weidman would fight Jon Jones – if the UFC asked him.

“I mean, I’ve got to beat Anderson (Silva) first,” the undefeated Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said during a media teleconference in support of his headliner against Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) at next week’s UFC 162 event. “That’s the first big step. Whatever the UFC fans and UFC want to do and the fight they want to see, I’m definitely willing to do.”

To be clear, nobody is yet asking Weidman to step up in weight to fight the light heavyweight champ Jones, which is what Silva is expected to do if he’s victorious on July 6 at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. (Jones, too, has to make it past Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in September.)

Weidman’s chances aren’t as bad as some who’ve faced the middleweight kingpin, as betting lines indicate. But a win over Silva certainly would be one of the most significant upsets in MMA history.

It would also spoil a superfight fans are clamoring for like no other matchup in the sport. Now that welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre has indicated he won’t be fighting Silva any time soon, Jones is the most-requested matchup outside “The Spider’s” weight class. A fight between the two would be hugely successful for the UFC.

Although unrealistic, putting Weidman in Silva’s place seems the logical thing to do. And the title challenger’s answer is what you’d expect for someone with nothing to lose and everything to gain in such a scenario.

But like everyone else, Weidman isn’t exactly asking for the chance. It’s been a year since he last fought, as he first saw his house inundated by Hurricane Sandy and then got injured in preparation for a title eliminator this past December. Next week is the biggest fight of his career, against the best fighter in the world. If anything, the New York native might be asking for the services of a mental coach to help him rise to the considerable challenge.

“I think if I let all that stuff get in my mind, it would definitely get to me,” he said. “But I think I’m really focused on this fight. I don’t need a mental coach. If I had a mental coach, it would be (striking coach) Ray Longo. I speak to him every day.

“As far as a psychologist, I’m good. I have a psychology degree, so that might help a little bit. I just know what type of mindset I need to have to walk in that cage, and I visualize the fight every day and all day long. The biggest thing is to stay confident and stay relaxed, and just make sure I dictate my fight when I get in there.

“I’m pretty good with having a strong mindset and not letting things get to me. I think I got a little ADD, so I can’t focus on too many things at the same time.”

For more on UFC 162, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Daniel Cormier Responds to Jon Jones' Comments

UFC fighter Daniel Cormier apparently did not appreciate that Jon Jones called him a coward when he appeared on The MMA Hour on Monday (h/t Shaun Al-Shatti of MMAFighting.com). Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier battle on Twitter after 'D.C.' offers to train Saint Preux

Daniel Cormier’s injury kept him out of his planned UFC 197 title defense against longtime rival Jon Jones, but the light heavyweight champ wasn’t quite ready to remove himself from the picture entir read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier Hot Tweets: Liars, Cowards, and Junkies… Oh My!

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier may not be fighting at UFC 197 as planned, but that hasn't stopped them from continuing to trash each other on Twitter. read news >>

Rashad Evans asked for Jon Jones rematch, but UFC on FOX 19 booking nixed that

Rashad Evans definitely wanted another crack at Jon Jones and asked the UFC for the opportunity. The problem was, as it often is, bad timing.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, read news >>

UFC 197 headliner Jon Jones pleads not guilty to drag racing charges in New Mexico

Jon Jones is fighting a quintet of traffic citations that triggered a brief jail stint this past week, but they won’t get in the way of his interim title fight at UFC 197. Jones has plead not guilty read news >>

Jon Jones Pleads Not Quilty to Drag Racing, Hires a Driver

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has pleaded not guilty to drag racing and the four other citations recently issued to him in Albuquerque, N.M. read news >>

The Question: Did UFC Make a Mistake Booking Jon Jones vs. Ovince Saint Preux?

It’s a story MMA fans have grown distressingly used to hearing—news of a hotly anticipated fight canceled at the 11th hour, followed immediately by the obligatory news of a short-notice replacement. read news >>

Jon Jones: OSP beating me would be 'greatest day' of UFC champ Daniel Cormier's life

Don’t let Jon Jones’ recent Twitter battle with rival Daniel Cormier cause any confusion: “Bones” is 100 percent focused on new UFC 197 opponent Ovince Saint Preux, he said.Filed under: Featured, New read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

UFC star Jon Jones thinks that if he were to lose to Ovince Saint Preux at UFC 197, it would be the "greatest day" of Daniel Cormier's life. Saint Preux is set to take on Jones for the interim light read news >>

UFC Middleweights Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Trade Barbs on Sportscenter

Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman were together on Wednesday morning on ESPN SportsCenter as they make the media rounds for their UFC 199 rematch. Rockhold, now UFC middleweight champion, took the stra read news >>