chris-weidman-12.jpgMiddleweight title challenger Chris Weidman would fight Jon Jones – if the UFC asked him.

“I mean, I’ve got to beat Anderson (Silva) first,” the undefeated Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said during a media teleconference in support of his headliner against Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) at next week’s UFC 162 event. “That’s the first big step. Whatever the UFC fans and UFC want to do and the fight they want to see, I’m definitely willing to do.”

To be clear, nobody is yet asking Weidman to step up in weight to fight the light heavyweight champ Jones, which is what Silva is expected to do if he’s victorious on July 6 at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. (Jones, too, has to make it past Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in September.)

Weidman’s chances aren’t as bad as some who’ve faced the middleweight kingpin, as betting lines indicate. But a win over Silva certainly would be one of the most significant upsets in MMA history.

It would also spoil a superfight fans are clamoring for like no other matchup in the sport. Now that welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre has indicated he won’t be fighting Silva any time soon, Jones is the most-requested matchup outside “The Spider’s” weight class. A fight between the two would be hugely successful for the UFC.

Although unrealistic, putting Weidman in Silva’s place seems the logical thing to do. And the title challenger’s answer is what you’d expect for someone with nothing to lose and everything to gain in such a scenario.

But like everyone else, Weidman isn’t exactly asking for the chance. It’s been a year since he last fought, as he first saw his house inundated by Hurricane Sandy and then got injured in preparation for a title eliminator this past December. Next week is the biggest fight of his career, against the best fighter in the world. If anything, the New York native might be asking for the services of a mental coach to help him rise to the considerable challenge.

“I think if I let all that stuff get in my mind, it would definitely get to me,” he said. “But I think I’m really focused on this fight. I don’t need a mental coach. If I had a mental coach, it would be (striking coach) Ray Longo. I speak to him every day.

“As far as a psychologist, I’m good. I have a psychology degree, so that might help a little bit. I just know what type of mindset I need to have to walk in that cage, and I visualize the fight every day and all day long. The biggest thing is to stay confident and stay relaxed, and just make sure I dictate my fight when I get in there.

“I’m pretty good with having a strong mindset and not letting things get to me. I think I got a little ADD, so I can’t focus on too many things at the same time.”

For more on UFC 162, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Gegard Mousasi Puts Chris Weidman on Blast, Claims Weidman Not Accepting Fight

Gegard Mousasi and Chris Weidman—two of the top middleweights in the UFC or anywhere else—could soon lock horns. That is, if Weidman gets his act in gear and signs on the dotted line (metaphorical us read news >>

Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson Agree: Ronda Rousey Should Return to the UFC

Much like when Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in 2015, there was a fair bit of schadenfreude on display following her UFC 207 defeat at the hands of Amanda Nunes. People ranging from anon read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Jon Jones still planning jump to heavyweight, awaits 'perfect opponent'

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has flip-flopped on the possibility of moving up to the heavyweight division over the years. Currently, however, he said it’s eventually going to happe read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' fight again

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey isn’t ready to call it a career just yet, but she admits she needs a little time to figure out her next move.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Future in UFC

UFC fighter Ronda Rousey announced that she would take some time to contemplate her future in the sport after being knocked out by Amanda Nunes in 48 seconds at UFC 207. Rousey spoke about her pendin read news >>

UFC 207 Technical Recap: How Nunes and Garbrandt Came out on Top

UFC 207 is in the books, and we have a brand-new men's bantamweight champion to go along with what looks like a dominant women's bantamweight champion after Cody Garbrandt upset Dominick Cruz to take read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' to fight again

Amanda Nunes Advice to Ronda Rousey: 'Very Bad Mistake' (UFC 207 video) | MMAWeekly.com

After Amanda Nunes defended her UFC women's bantamweight title against Ronda Rousey at UFC 207, she had some words of advice for the former champion. read news >>

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey - Fantasy Rewind

UFC 207 is in the books and it's time to recap how the night went for fantasy UFC pickers. Who had Amanda Nunes and Cody Garbrandt pulling the upsets? Find out here. read news >>

Dana White Reiterates Conor McGregor is Not in His Immediate Plans (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White stands by his belief that Conor McGregor won't be back in the Octagon until late in 2017. read news >>