chris-weidman-12.jpgMiddleweight title challenger Chris Weidman would fight Jon Jones – if the UFC asked him.

“I mean, I’ve got to beat Anderson (Silva) first,” the undefeated Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said during a media teleconference in support of his headliner against Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) at next week’s UFC 162 event. “That’s the first big step. Whatever the UFC fans and UFC want to do and the fight they want to see, I’m definitely willing to do.”

To be clear, nobody is yet asking Weidman to step up in weight to fight the light heavyweight champ Jones, which is what Silva is expected to do if he’s victorious on July 6 at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. (Jones, too, has to make it past Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in September.)

Weidman’s chances aren’t as bad as some who’ve faced the middleweight kingpin, as betting lines indicate. But a win over Silva certainly would be one of the most significant upsets in MMA history.

It would also spoil a superfight fans are clamoring for like no other matchup in the sport. Now that welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre has indicated he won’t be fighting Silva any time soon, Jones is the most-requested matchup outside “The Spider’s” weight class. A fight between the two would be hugely successful for the UFC.

Although unrealistic, putting Weidman in Silva’s place seems the logical thing to do. And the title challenger’s answer is what you’d expect for someone with nothing to lose and everything to gain in such a scenario.

But like everyone else, Weidman isn’t exactly asking for the chance. It’s been a year since he last fought, as he first saw his house inundated by Hurricane Sandy and then got injured in preparation for a title eliminator this past December. Next week is the biggest fight of his career, against the best fighter in the world. If anything, the New York native might be asking for the services of a mental coach to help him rise to the considerable challenge.

“I think if I let all that stuff get in my mind, it would definitely get to me,” he said. “But I think I’m really focused on this fight. I don’t need a mental coach. If I had a mental coach, it would be (striking coach) Ray Longo. I speak to him every day.

“As far as a psychologist, I’m good. I have a psychology degree, so that might help a little bit. I just know what type of mindset I need to have to walk in that cage, and I visualize the fight every day and all day long. The biggest thing is to stay confident and stay relaxed, and just make sure I dictate my fight when I get in there.

“I’m pretty good with having a strong mindset and not letting things get to me. I think I got a little ADD, so I can’t focus on too many things at the same time.”

For more on UFC 162, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jon Jones Takes Plea Deal in Drag Racing Case

Jon Jones, already on probation for a felony hit-and-run case, accepted a plea deal in Albuquerque Metropolitan Court on Thursday. read news >>

Camp report: Longo shares training secrets

What's the secret behind the success for former UFC champion Chris Weidman, bantamweight contender Aljamain Sterling and rising lightweight star Al Iaquinta? Go inside their fight camp with coach Ray read news >>

Jon Jones Teases Quick Return from USADA Suspension in Instagram Post

Jon Jones has had a rough 12 months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champ feels like things are starting to turn around. That seems to be the case, at least, as Jones indicated he may be back i read news >>

Jon Jones Says He’ll Be Back in the Octagon ‘Really Soon’

UFC interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones sounds as if he's come into some good news regarding his UFC Anti-Doping Policy case. read news >>

Dana White Says it Looks Like Jon Jones Took ‘Something Else,’ Could Be Good News

Dana White on Tuesday appeared to back Jon Jones' recent statement that he could be back really soon. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Video: Stop Talking About Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones, I Have to Fight Glover

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has a big fight in front of him in the form of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 on Aug. 20. If it's all the same with you, he'd really like it if everyone would quit asking him abo read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls out Rumble Johnson After UFC 202 Win, Dismisses Jon Jones

Following Anthony Johnson's 13-second knockout of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202, Johnson immediately called for a rematch against champion Daniel Cormier, who was in the audience. Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

UFC 202 Takeaways: Let’s Go Ahead and Book Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3

Now that we have the biggest rematch in history behind us, what's next for the UFC? read news >>