Lightweight prospect Charles Oliveira earned “Fight of the Night” honors at Sunday’s UFC Live 4, but there’s a good chance his submission win over Nik Lentz may not stand.

After a blistering first frame which saw both men nearly finish, the Brazilian struck a kneeling Lentz with a clearly illegal knee to the face before submitting him with a second-round rear-naked choke.

UFC President Dana White wrote on Twitter immediately afterward that the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission would review the video of fight and possibly reverse the result to a no-contest.

Speaking Monday with Sherdog.com, “Charles do Bronx” apologized for the foul and guaranteed that it was never his intention to cheat, especially in a fight that he felt he was already in control of.

“He wasn’t knocked out by the knee,” Oliveira told Sherdog.com. “He got hit, but kept fighting, grabbed my legs, and only after the second knee landed did he let me climb on his back to submit him. The move was in the heat of the fight. I didn’t intend to use it to my advantage. I was winning the second round the same way I won the first. I’m confident the commission won’t declare it a no-contest. It was a mistake on the referee’s part. The result is in their hands, but, for now, I’m the winner, and I’m okay with that.”

Following Sunday’s bout at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, the 21-year-old Paulistano paid a visit to Lentz in the hospital, where the American reportedly underwent surgery to repair a broken orbital bone caused by the illegal knee. Afterward, Oliveira spoke with UFC Matchmaker Joe Silva, who praised his performance against the previously Octagon-unbeaten “Carny.”

“Joe Silva said I was brilliant,” Oliveira revealed. “He said for the UFC, I was the winner, but the Pennsylvania commission opted to review the tape. I’m frustrated, because that moment took the luster off my performance and turned the attention to something else.”

Oliveira, who trains under Brazilian vale tudo legend Jorge “Macaco” Patino, attributed his strong performance to the hard work he put in following his first career loss to Jim Miller in December.

“Only I know how hard I trained. I left my family, my girlfriend, and the people I love in Brazil to train in the United States with Macaco five or six times a day,” said Oliveira. “I practiced everything, from my BJJ to wrestling, judo and muay Thai. I rested only two days after my loss to Jim Miller. I’m happy with my performance, but sad because I couldn’t dedicate this victory to the Brazilian people the way I wanted.”

For now, Oliveira can only wait and hope for a decision in his favor by the PSAC. However, he also has eyes on a new fight, one that he believes could put him closer to the top of the UFC’s deep 155-pound division.

“I’m not far from a title shot,” Oliveira asserted. “I think if I had defeated Jim Miller, I’d be really close to it, but I’m not in a hurry. I think I’m in the right weight class, fighting well, and the crowd and UFC executives like my fighting style, and it will happen someday. I’m working hard not only during training, but also studying English to talk to the crowd and respond by myself during interviews. Maybe if I win two or three more fights, I can get a title shot.”

The PSAC is expected to make a ruling on the outcome later this week.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Twitter reacts to Frank Mir's knockout of Todd Duffee at UFC Fight Night 71

  • 19 days ago
  • 20 views

Frank Mir was extremely confident that he’d dispatch of Todd Duffee in UFC Fight Night 71’s main event. The former UFC heavyweight champion was right, because he earned a first-round knockout victory read news >>

Video: Watch Holly Holm and Marion Reneau have the longest staredown ever

  • 20 days ago
  • 75 views

SAN DIEGO – Holly Holm and Marion Reneau won’t get to fight until tomorrow night at UFC Fight Night 71, but the two already had one battle of wills at the weigh-ins.Filed under: Featured, Featured Vi read news >>

UFC 189 bonuses: 'Fight of the Night'? It's Dana White's 'Fight of the … Ever'

  • 23 days ago
  • 7 views

LAS VEGAS – It’s not too hard to figure out what the UFC 189 “Fight of the Night” was. But Dana White called it perhaps the “Fight of the Ever.” Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Floyd Mayweather's uncle predicts UFC 189's Conor McGregor would get 'ass whooped by an amateur' boxer

  • 24 days ago
  • 50 views

As confident in his hands as UFC Featherweight contender Conor McGregor may be, he wouldn't stand a chance against a real boxer. At least according to Floyd Mayweather's uncle, Jeff Mayweather, who w read news >>

Marlon Moraes Upbeat for WSOF Future, Prepping for Aug. 1 Title Defense

  • 25 days ago
  • 0 views

WSOF bantamweight champion Marlon Moraes is confident in the promotion's future, focused on Aug. 1 title defense in Las Vegas. read news >>

Rousimar Palhares confident ahead of Jake Shields title fight: 'Victory is mine'

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

World Series of Fighting welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares is not afraid of Jake Shields' ground game ahead of their bout at WSOF 22. Bethe Correia will not be the only Brazilian fighting for a read news >>

Video: After upset of Waterson, Invicta atomweight champ Herica Tiburcio remains confident

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

LAS VEGAS – In December, Herica Tiburcio shocked the women’s MMA world and officially burst onto the scene – even though she was confident she could pull off the upset of Michelle Waterson. Filed und read news >>

Conor McGregor Bet Dana White $3 Million He’d KO Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 27 days ago
  • 94 views

So confident is Conor McGregor that he bet his employers $3 million he'll knock out Chad Mendes at UFC 189. read news >>

UFC President Dana White Says Conor McGregor Tried to Bet $3 Million on Himself

  • 28 days ago
  • 34 views

Conor McGregor is confident ahead of his UFC 189 matchup against Chad Mendes on Saturday, July 11. Confident to the tune of $3 million, in fact. According to UFC President Dana White, McGregor made a read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor offered to bet us $3 million he'd knock out Chad Mendes

  • 28 days ago
  • 515 views

How confident is Conor McGregor in his finishing abilities? So much so, that the featherweight superstar was willing to bet his bosses seven figures on when he'd knock out Chad Mendes. McGregor has b read news >>