When former kickboxer turned MMA fighter Ole Laursen signed on with One FC, he was supposed to be one of the new stars that helped to launch the promotion during their 2011 debut show.

Unfortunately, the Filipino born fighter blew out his knee just a few weeks away from his scheduled fight against Eduard Folayang, forcing him to the sidelines to recover.

It had already been more than a year since Laursen had competed in MMA, so the injury was just a disappointing setback that he didn’t need.

“I was training with friends in Singapore and I wasn’t used to the new environment in the gym I slid and blew my knee out,” Laursen told MMAWeekly.com “It was a bad accident just 3 weeks before the fight I was really sad, was looking forward to fight and to show what I’m made of and make the One FC fans happy.”

It seems like so long ago when Laursen first made his move to MMA after a long career in the kickboxing world. Starting out in the K-1 Hero’s shows in Japan, Laursen’s MMA career got off to a rocky start, but there’s no shame in that when looking at the level of competition he faced on day one in the sport.

In back to back fights, Laursen faced former UFC lightweights Genki Sudo and Caol Uno, no easy task for a first time MMA fighter. Still, Laursen looks back at those fights as valuable learning experiences, something he carries forward to today.

“No regrets, I had the time of my life fighting those fights and they made me realize I can do this, just need to keep working and building my ground skills,” Laursen stated. “I don’t feel like going the distance with Genki in my MMA debut was a setback, although I do think I could have done better against Uno because I injured myself before that fight and couldn’t train properly. That loss definitely taught me a lot.”

With Laursen’s last fight taking place in 2010, he has changed a lot as a fighter since fans last saw him. While he still depends on his striking roots for his base in MMA, he says he no longer thinks like a Muay Thai fighter.

“Well I am always training and improving so I like to think I am more well rounded today then I was yesterday. Right now I am at my new camp in Boracay in the Philippines and I’m working everyday with Eduardo Bezerra, Wadson Teixeira, Froilan Sarenas, Jason Townsend and a few others, when you are working with guys that good you can’t help but get better every day,” said Laursen.

“I think more ‘mixed martial arts’ now vs. before where I would think how to ‘muay thai’ my way out of situations .I have been working my ground skills and wrestling and keep adding to my complete MMA game every day.”

For his return to action this weekend in Jakarata at the second One FC show, Laursen faces Felipe Enomoto, and he admits the only thing he knows about his opponent is ‘he has brown hair’.

Despite that lack of detail, there’s no doubt that Laursen is hoping to make a splash during the One FC show and set the stage for a much busier 2012.

“2012 is going to be my year and I want to fight as often as I can. I was born in the Philippines but I have never fought here so that has always been a dream of mine and I am hoping it will come true this year,” said Laursen.

“The One FC Network is really great for me as a fighter because it means that if I stay fit I can fight all the time. 2011 was a very frustrating year but it gave me time to set up my new camp in Boracay. Now but I’m fit and ready to go and in 2012 I’m gonna be taking out all that frustration on my opponents.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Bethe Correia to Ronda Rousey: 'Learn how to lose and don't do drugs again' after UFC 190

Low blow! Ronda Rousey sees her upcoming title defense against Bethe Correia -- which is set to go down at UFC 190 on Aug. 1, 2015, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil -- as a "come to Jesus meeting" for the B read news >>

'Girl Fight: A Muay Thai Story' a film by the Fight Nerd

Bloody Elbow's own Fight Nerd has a documentary in the works. Here's everything you need to know about it. Longtime Bloody Elbow contributor, Matthew Kaplowitz (aka "The Fight Nerd") has a big projec read news >>

Help out the Fight Nerd! 'Girl Fight: A Muay Thai Story' launching Indiegogo fundraiser #thegirlfightstory

Bloody Elbow's own Fight Nerd has a documentary in the works, and he's looking for for your support to help get it to distribution. Longtime Bloody Elbow contributor, Matthew Kaplowitz (otherwise kno read news >>

Lion Fight 22 preview, results, live discussion: Muay Thai live on AXS Friday night

Itching to watch some beautiful combat sports violence? Then tune in Friday night for Lion Fight 22, featuring full rules Muay Thai. Bloody Elbow has full coverage right here, including a preview and read news >>

Nothing to see here! Titanium shinned Muay Thai fighter looks like a hoax

It looks like a recent article about a Muay Thai fighter with a titanium shin implant may have been a big hoax. Every now and then a combat sports story goes a bit viral. Even outside the relatively read news >>

Video: Former UFC champ admits steroid use, 'could bench press a small car and squat a small house'

• 11 hours ago

"Up to the age of 27, I didn't touch any PEDs at all. I went through all my Olympics, all my NCAA stuff taking no chemicals whatsoever. I think part of it was me having a little bit of fear from not read news >>

Bethe Correia to Ronda Rousey: ‘Learn how to lose and don’t do drugs again’ after UFC 190

Bethe Correia won’t leave any attacks unanswered. Speaking with Sports Illustrated, UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey promised that, unlike her last title defenses, the UFC 190 clash with undefe read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: What a stacked UFC 187 can – and can't – tell us this weekend

What will we learn about the real Vitor Belfort at UFC 187? And what won’t we learn about the light heavyweight division as Anthony Johnson and Daniel Cormier clash? All that and more in this week’s read news >>

Can muay Thai create its own Ronda Rousey? Lion Fight 22's Tiffany Van Soest discusses

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey helped get women’s MMA to the next level and opened the octagon door for female fighters. Could muay Thai develop a similar star?Filed under: Featured V read news >>

Tom Breese admits he was surprised early in his UFC debut

GOIANIA, Brazil -- Undefeated Tom Breese scored another first-round finish in his UFC debut, stopping Luiz Dutra with punches at UFC Fight Night 67. He spoke with MMAFighting.com about his camp at Tr read news >>