tito-ortiz-23.jpgHave Tito Ortiz‘s comeback flirtations ended, or just hit a brief pause?

Just one day after getting the media all atwitter about returning to the cage, possibly to fight in Bellator, the UFC Hall of Famer’s message today was: “Don’t count your chickens before they hatch! Damn time to look else where. #Positive.”

Of course, Ortiz could just as easily be talking about a lottery ticket as a fight contract. But still, his recent messages are something of a departure from his role as a retired champ turned manager.

In May, Ortiz gave the impression that family was far more important than a return to the octagon, where he left the sport in July 2012 with a 16-11-1 record.

“As far as the glory, I don’t miss any of that stuff at all I’ve been doing it for 15 years, and I still can’t walk around without somebody asking for a picture or an autograph or just saying what’s up,” he said in an interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Maybe at some point I’ll get that feeling of wanting to compete again, but right now I’m pretty satisfied with what I’m doing with my children. My kids are my No. 1. My family, when I grew up, there was nothing there. I’m going to make sure my kids are No. 1.”

But this week, the 38-year-old ex-champ gave strong impressions that he is prepared to play the field in a comeback to the UFC or its chief rival. A quickly deleted message even featured Ortiz at the steps of Bellator’s office in Southern California, which is a short drive from Ortiz’s longtime residence in Huntington Beach.

“Nice 2be a free agent,” Ortiz wrote on Twitter. “Need 2make a big decision 4my future 4my kids future. Nice 2 have a great surrounding and 2be healthy.#Positive 7yrs.”

With a history of flirtations with promotions other than the UFC, including a very close brush with the now-defunct EliteXC, Ortiz’s messages largely have been met with skepticism.

And yet with his body apparently on the mend after multiple neck and knee surgeries, the fighter is getting back into the type of shape that could make fighting possible. Among his tweets was a shirtless self-portrait that showed he isn’t exactly “The Huntington Beach Flab Boy.”

“I’m just trying to get my physical being back together,” Ortiz said in May. “It’s been a long road of recovery. I started training a little bit, just lifting some weights to try and get my body back in shape.”

Ortiz acknowledged the tug of competition looking from the outside in.

“You just see how good the talent is getting,” he said. “Guys are getting so much better, and you can see how great the sport has become.”

A return undoubtedly would bring attention to whatever promotion wants to employ Ortiz, who’s a consummate promoter with more name recognition than some of the sport’s current top fighters. Now, it’s just a matter of whether he’s serious about reigniting his career.

Chael Sonnen Talks Move to Bellator MMA, Tito Ortiz and Whether Bad Men Also Cry

Near the end of the five-minute video vignette Bellator MMA produced to publicize Saturday’s fight against Tito Ortiz, Chael Sonnen starts to cry. The footage is remarkable for at least two reasons. read news >>

Bellator 170 results: Tito Ortiz stuns Chael Sonnen, taps him out in first

• a day ago

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Tito Ortiz ended his long and decorated MMA career on a triumphant note, submitting Chael Sonnen in the first round with a rear-naked choke. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Tito Ortiz vs. Chael Sonnen Results: Bellator 170 Winner, Scorecard and Reaction

• a day ago

Sometimes a fight just means so much to someone they just find a way to win. Such was the case when underdog Tito Ortiz defeated Chael Sonnen in the main event at Bellator 170 by first-round submissi read news >>

Tito Ortiz Taps Out Chael Sonnen in Final Fight of His Career (Bellator 170 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

It was Tito Ortiz's final trip to the cage when he faced Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170. He made it a memorable one. read news >>

Bellator 170: Ortiz vs. Sonnen Quick Results and Highlights | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Check out the full Bellator 170: Ortiz vs. Sonnen results from Los Angeles, as Tito Ortiz fights the final fight of his career against Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Bellator 170: Ortiz vs. Sonnen Post-Fight Press Conference Replay | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz fought for the last time on Saturday at Bellator 170, defeating Chael Sonnen by submission in the first round. read news >>

Bellator 170 video highlights, including Tito Ortiz's big win, Paul Daley's early 'Knockout of the Year' entry

• a day ago

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Bellator’s first event of 2017 turned out to be a memorable affair, with MMA legend Tito Ortiz and British slugger Paul Daley scoring highlight-reel finishes.Filed under: Bellator read news >>

Bellator 170 Quick Results: Tito Ortiz Retires With a Win | FIGHTLAND

• a day ago

Image via facebook/BellatorMMA On one of the increasingly rare weekends without a UFC card, Bellator MMA touched down in Los Angeles, California with Bellator 170, one of its most stacked events to d read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tito Ortiz's retirement-fight victory over Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170

• a day ago

Tito Ortiz’s long and illustrious MMA career ended on a high on Saturday night. Check out the top reactions on social media.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Now-retired Tito Ortiz plans to enjoy family, but eyes working for Bellator in future

• a day ago

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – The newly retired Tito Ortiz will take some time off in the short term. He isn’t done with with the sport – he’s just done fighting.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, V read news >>