Roger Bowling Strikeforce

According to Strikeforce welterweight “Relentless” Roger Bowling, last year’s biggest lesson learned was patience. “I learned that no matter how good you feel going into a fight, you need to fight smarter, and not necessarily so hard.

“To pick your poison and take the fight where you’re going to have the best chances of winning; not just giving the fans what they want to see.”

Still, even with that foremost in his mind, when it came to his first fight of 2012 against Brandon Saling this past Saturday at Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey, Bowling found out that sometimes what we want and what actually happens are two separate things.

“I went out there and did exactly what I didn’t want to do,” he said. “I got into a brawl with him. It took me getting hit a couple times to make me realize where I needed to take the fight.

“All in all it was probably a C (grade) performance. It’s easy to pick yourself apart, but yeah, I did get the win and that’s what matters.”

Bowling explained to MMAWeekly.com that sometimes he gets caught up in his surroundings, which results in things going differently than anticipated.

“It’s easy to get off your game plan, especially in front of your hometown crowd,” he said. “You want to put on a great show for the fans.

“We knew he had a good chin going in and that he swung for the fences, so I got into more of a brawl than a technical fight like I’d planned.”

With back-to-back wins, Bowling sees himself right back in the welterweight mix in Strikeforce.

“I feel like I fit right in there with the top guys,” he said. “The division is still wide open, especially after (Tyrone) Woodley, (Bobby) Voelker or whoever fights for the title. I feel like I’m one or two fights away from a shot, and I’ll fight any of those guys.”

A title fight might not be far off. Bowling feels the steps he wants to take should bring that goal closer to reality in 2012.

“I want to broaden my horizons a little bit and go to different camps and work with different guys and get some different looks, and keep progressing and keep winning,” he said.

“I signed a new contract with Strikeforce, so that’s always a (step forward). I want to use (starting off with a win) as a forward push to set the pace for the rest of the year.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Trevin Giles Looking to Remain Unbeaten Against Josh Clark at RFA 41

Trevin Giles was slated to face recent UFC signee Tom Gigliotti at RFA 41 on July 29, but will now face Josh Clark in the evening’s middleweight main event. read news >>

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Talks PEDs, Brock Lesnar, and Chad Mendes

Urijah Faber reflects on his career and also shares his thoughts on Brock Lesnar and Chad Mendes’ recent involvement with PEDs. read news >>

UFC Salt Lake City Video: Yair Rodriguez – Creative Combat

Dynamic featherweight Yair Rodriguez looks to build on his recent success on Aug. 6 when he meets Alex Caceres in the main event of UFC Fight Night 92. read news >>

Five things to know about Fight Night Salt Lake City

Check out five things you need to know about Fight Night Salt Lake City, featuring main event stars Yair Rodriguez vs Alex Caceres. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Rails on Association of Boxing Commissions’ Rules Changes (Video)

Chael Sonnen isn't cheering the ABC's recent MMA rules changes, particularly when it comes to the rule about what constitutes a downed fighter. read news >>

Superstars Blast Conor McGregor for Recent Comments About WWE Roster

Conor McGregor kicked a hornet's nest on Friday. Speaking with the media on a conference call to promote UFC 202, the pay-per-view kingpin was asked if he had any interest in making the jump to profe read news >>

Conor McGregor Not Worried, but Plotting, After UFC Sale (Video)

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor isn't sweating the UFC's recent sale... he's plotting. read news >>

UFC 202 Video: Anthony Johnson – Warrior Code

Anthony Johnson sits down to talk about why he fights, his fighting style, recent success, and plans for the future. read news >>

UFC 202: Would a Win over Nate Diaz Put Conor McGregor, UFC at Odds Again?

Things tend to run hot and cold between Conor McGregor and the UFC. There has been precious little middle ground with the fight company and its biggest male star throughout their three-year working r read news >>