Roger Bowling Strikeforce

According to Strikeforce welterweight “Relentless” Roger Bowling, last year’s biggest lesson learned was patience. “I learned that no matter how good you feel going into a fight, you need to fight smarter, and not necessarily so hard.

“To pick your poison and take the fight where you’re going to have the best chances of winning; not just giving the fans what they want to see.”

Still, even with that foremost in his mind, when it came to his first fight of 2012 against Brandon Saling this past Saturday at Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey, Bowling found out that sometimes what we want and what actually happens are two separate things.

“I went out there and did exactly what I didn’t want to do,” he said. “I got into a brawl with him. It took me getting hit a couple times to make me realize where I needed to take the fight.

“All in all it was probably a C (grade) performance. It’s easy to pick yourself apart, but yeah, I did get the win and that’s what matters.”

Bowling explained to MMAWeekly.com that sometimes he gets caught up in his surroundings, which results in things going differently than anticipated.

“It’s easy to get off your game plan, especially in front of your hometown crowd,” he said. “You want to put on a great show for the fans.

“We knew he had a good chin going in and that he swung for the fences, so I got into more of a brawl than a technical fight like I’d planned.”

With back-to-back wins, Bowling sees himself right back in the welterweight mix in Strikeforce.

“I feel like I fit right in there with the top guys,” he said. “The division is still wide open, especially after (Tyrone) Woodley, (Bobby) Voelker or whoever fights for the title. I feel like I’m one or two fights away from a shot, and I’ll fight any of those guys.”

A title fight might not be far off. Bowling feels the steps he wants to take should bring that goal closer to reality in 2012.

“I want to broaden my horizons a little bit and go to different camps and work with different guys and get some different looks, and keep progressing and keep winning,” he said.

“I signed a new contract with Strikeforce, so that’s always a (step forward). I want to use (starting off with a win) as a forward push to set the pace for the rest of the year.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

5 Things the UFC Can Do to Make 2016 the Best Year Ever

Here are the top 5 ways the UFC can make for a BIG 2016. read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Ten months after a brutal loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Pettis is finally getting back in the ring. read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

The legend of Dominick Cruz, and the quest to solidify it as fact

Dominick Cruz has fought so infrequently in recent years that he’s become something of an MMA myth. By throwing himself straight into the fire against champion T.J. Dillashaw, he gains a chance to be read news >>

FOX Sports suspends analyst Kenny Florian following plagiarism issue

FOX Sports has suspended former UFC fighter and current analyst Kenny Florian following his recent apology for plagiarism.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy not working with FBI on recent ISIS threat

So what happens when you’re apparently targeted by ISIS and notified by the FBI? If you’re Tim Kennedy, you stay ready and carry the proper tools. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC fighters' funniest USADA-testing stories: Guns, birthday suits, GPS coordinates

BOSTON – Thanks to a recent deal with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) and the new UFC Anti-Doping Policy, fighters are getting tested more often, and they have plenty of stories about the process read news >>

Video: McGregor-dos Anjos, Holm-Tate face off before UFC 197 in Las Vegas

LAS VEGAS – Now things are official. The UFC 197 pair of title fights had been announced, but now we're really underway. Today in Las Vegas, lightweight champion [autotag]Rafael dos Anjos[/autotag] ( read news >>

Conor McGregor Did Not Appreciate Floyd Mayweather’s Racial Comments (Video)

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor responded to Floyd Mayweather's recent comments about race directed toward him and Ronda Rousey. read news >>

20 Things More Likely to Happen than CM Punk Fighting 8 Times In The UFC

A comprehensive list of 20 things that will happen before CM Punk fulfills his eight-fight UFC contract. read news >>