Noons Doesn’t Think He Lost Diaz Fight, But Moving on Regardless


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

K.J. Noons (right) feels he did enough to win against Nick Diaz last October.| Photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com


K.J. Noons disagrees with the judges who awarded Nick Diaz a unanimous decision after their entertaining five-round Strikeforce bout last October.

“I didn’t even think I lost the fight,” Noons said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Only in opinion, right? In some people’s eyes. Nah, you know what? I guess the judges saw it wrong -- I mean, different, and you just have to get better. I’m moving back down to 155 [pounds], so I’m happy.”

Diaz defended his Strikeforce welterweight title with scores of 48-47, 49-47 and 49-46 in his favor. However, Noons believes he outstruck the champion.

“Let’s just take emotion and opinions out of it and put hard facts on the table,” Noons said. “Who won the fight by statistics? If you go by who did the more damage to the other person? Strikes landed?”

The initial CompuStrike stats on the fight did have Noons landing more strikes than Diaz, but the company corrected those figures, which it said were the result of a system glitch. The final CompuStrike numbers had Diaz landing more strikes. FightMetric also had Diaz with the advantage.

Noons, however, feels he won the fight three rounds to two. Diaz has since gone on to earn a UFC welterweight title shot against Georges St. Pierre in October, and Noons doesn’t begrudge him the opportunity.

“He won a couple more fights, so he definitely put himself in a position to be fighting for that,” Noons said. “That’s a fight people want to see. I’m just saying I felt like [our] fight was different. Am I going to cry about it now? No.”

Of course, Noons stopped Diaz the first time they met in November 2007. He said a third encounter is “probably” in the future, but for now he’s concentrating on Jorge Masvidal, whom he fights Saturday at Strikeforce “Overeem vs. Werdum.” With a win, Noons expects to get a shot at Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

“I think since Masvidal beat Billy [Evangelista], that was one of the top guys in Strikeforce,” Noons said. “From what I was told, this is a number-one contender fight. So whoever wins this gets a shot at Gilbert.”

Masvidal has split his last four fights, but Noons is complimentary of his game.

“I think he’s a great standup fighter,” Noons said. “I think he’s good all-around. I’m just training for everything, but I don’t know. We’ll see how the fight turns out when we get in there and mix it up. I think he’s pretty confident in his standup game. If he wanted to, he could stand up the whole time, but I think he’s going to mix it up and I’m ready for that. I’m actually ready to mix it up too.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:26:05).

view original article >>

Related News

  • 6 hours ago
  • 10 views

Former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz discussed his UFC 183 fight against Anderson Silva on a conference call with the media Wednesday afternoon. Check out the complete audio above. more

  • 25 days ago
  • 168 views

LAS VEGAS - UFC president Dana White held his annual Fan Expo question-and-answer session with the fans on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. As usual, the event was a mix of the serious, the less serious, and the absurd, ranging from detailed questions about the company's business to painful-to-watch attempts at business pitches.
One thing the UFC boss did indicate, however, is that he could very well by on the same wavelength as the fans who want the much-discussed potential Ander more

  • 6 days ago
  • 19 views

It took over a year, but Diaz is back in the Octagon.
Nick Diaz has returned to the UFC. Good news for fans of trash talk and action fights, bad news for guys who aren't fans of Nick Diaz. Diaz went into retirement shortly after losing to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 158 in March of last year. While sitting on the sidelines, he had a lot of criticism of the UFC's monetary stinginess and exactly what kind of fights or contract that it would take to get him back in the Octagon. For a long time it sou more

  • 6 days ago
  • 91 views

The Stockton Bad Boy is back. Is a bout with Anderson Silva far behind?
Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz has signed a contract extension with the UFC and will return from his self-imposed exile. UFC.com reported the news on Thursday.
Additionally, a solid source told MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani that if all goes well, Diaz's return bout would be against former longtime middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who would also be making his return after a prolonged absence.
The 30 more

  • 6 days ago
  • 52 views

Nick Diaz has decided to opt out of retirement, signing a three-fight contract extension with the UFC on Thursday, setting up a possible fight with Anderson Silva. more

  • 6 days ago
  • 98 views

Nick Diaz’s oft-rumored, eagerly-awaited return from retirement is finally a reality. more

  • 5 days ago
  • 33 views

Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz discusses his intention to fight Anderson Silva before challenging Johny Hendricks for the welterweight title. Considering many of the questions in circulation at Dana White media scrums over the past few months were generally focused on Nate Diaz's potential return to the UFC, fans and pundits alike were surprised to find that it was older brother Nick Diaz who had penned a new deal with the UFC.
The former welterweight title challenger came ou more

  • 5 days ago
  • 116 views

Fight fans can rejoice because Nick Diaz has decided to return from his brief retirement. UFC President Dana White used his official Twitter account to reveal the return of the popular fighter. Diaz has signed a new deal that will allow him to appear in the Octagon at least three more times. The UFC has struggled to create stars with its current roster, so Diaz’s return comes at a great time for the promotion.
As always, Nick is interested in fighting for a UFC title; however, it will be hard to more

  • 4 days ago
  • 8 views

Daniel Cormier has stepped in for Alexander Gustafsson to meet Jon Jones at UFC 173 in September. That comes on the heels of Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier being added to the blockbuster card. Which was followed by the announcement Nick Diaz is returning to the UFC early next year, and with it the informed chatter saying Anderson Silva is a highly likely opponent.
It was such a jam-packed news week, you almost forgot the Nevada Athletic Commission hearings, the ones which put the smack down o more