Murilo “Ninja” Rua will walk away from the sport at 31. | Photo: David Lethaby/Sherdog.com

With three simple but profound words, former EliteXC middleweight champion Murilo “Ninja” Rua embraced retirement from mixed martial arts.

“Life goes on,” he told Sherdog.com.

The decision no fighter wants to make came in wake of Rua’s third-round knockout loss to British Association of Mixed Martial Arts titleholder Tom Watson in the BAMMA 6 main event on Saturday at Wembley Arena in London. Beaten up for the better part of two and a half rounds, he was ultimately cut down by a head kick and follow-up punches from the surging British middleweight.

“I was already giving a lot of thought for a good while, along with my family and my manager, about the right time to quit, and my love for MMA always spoke louder, so I always wanted to try one more time,” Rua said. “The opportunity to try to win a belt like BAMMA’s lightened up the will to close my career well, but time goes on for everybody. I have been on this road for a long time, and I already went into this fight with my mind set that I would stop either after this fight or after the next.

“I tried to do the best possible training,” he added. “I went to the United States, went to Sao Paulo, and with the outcome of the fight, we have to be objective and accept things.”

The older brother of 2005 Pride Fighting Championships middleweight grand prix winner and former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Ninja made his professional debut under the Meca World Vale Tudo banner in May 2000 and remained unbeaten until his Pride 17 encounter with two-time Olympian Dan Henderson ended in a split decision defeat. He competed in three weight classes -- middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight -- during his 11-year career, earning notable wins over Mario Sperry, Akira Shoji and Joey Villasenor.

Rua’s career also included high-profile defeats to onetime UFC light heavyweight king Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, two-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships gold medalist Ricardo Arona, former UFC heavyweight titleholder Kevin Randleman, Russian heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov and American Top Team’s Denis Kang.

“I always fought against the best, never picked opponents,” he said. “I’m proud of having always fought at a high level at big shows, so I’d rather leave this way than let things go downhill.”

At 31, Rua plans to keep his finger on the pulse of the sport.

“I realized talking to those around me -- my family and my manager, who is, in reality, my friend before anything else -- that I don’t need to drop MMA just because I stop fighting,” he said. “I can still work with what I love. Now it’s time to take care of my kids, enjoy life with my wife and keep bringing MMA to the world with my seminars, classes and fighters.”

Ex-champ B.J. Penn ends retirement, but UFC boss still unsure on details

As expected former two-division champ and 2015 UFC Hall of Fame inductee B.J. Penn has ended his retirement. What’s next, though? That’s still to be determined.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

Brad Imes on retirement: They told me I was going to die or become a vegetable

Former college football player and “The Ultimate Fighter 2” runner-up Brad Imes found some success and plenty of fun in MMA. But following his retirement, he faced some dark days.Filed under: News, U read news >>

Fireworks on display as dos Anjos/McGregor, Holm/Tate meet

The war of words has begun as UFC 197 headliners dos Anjos/McGregor and Holm/Tate met for first time. read news >>

McGregor begins war of words against title rival dos Anjos

Conor McGregor wasted no time with title rival Rafael dos Anjos, waging a war of words ahead of UFC 197. read news >>

The Comeback: Fabricio Werdum has words for Conor McGregor, Rousey on 'SNL'

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMA junkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Thursday’s biggest headlines, catch up with “The Comeback.”Filed under: Bel read news >>

Chauncey Foxworth’s WSOF Game Plan is Simple, Dominate Every Second

Heading into his World Series of Fighting debut, Chauncey Foxworth's game plan is a simple one: dominate every second of the fight. read news >>

UFC veteran Patrick Cote: Why not Nick Diaz in August?

Patrick Cote has very simple things in mind for his next UFC fight: either a top-15 opponent or a big-name fight that can bring him the attention he needs to continue his climb up the welterweight la read news >>

BJ Penn Guarantees That He’ll Be Fighting at UFC 196

Former two-division UFC champion B.J. Penn return from retirement will take place at UFC 196. He guarantees it. read news >>

22-fight UFC veteran Chris Leben comes out of retirement to sign with Bellator

In a week that included the signing of former UFC and WEC champion, as well as a veteran heavyweight, Bellator added another big name to its roster on Friday. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>