Nick Diaz vs. Muhsin Corbbrey at April 26 EliteXC


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Nick DiazEliteXC lightweight Nick Diaz (15-7) will return to competition after an upset loss to K.J. Noons and will fight Muhsin Corbbrey (6-2) at EliteXC’s April 26 show in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Sam Caplan of fiveounesofpain.com today confirmed the fight with Corbbrey’s camp.

Back in January MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported that EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw anticipated an April return for Diaz, a former UFC contender whom EliteXC signed to a long-term deal last year. Diaz and Noons fought for the organization’s vacant lightweight title in November, but the bout was stopped after the first round because of multiple cuts on Diaz’s face. He had surgery to repair significant scar tissue soon after that TKO loss.

Back in February 2007 Diaz earned a submission victory over PRIDE lightweight champ Takanori Gomi. However, Diaz failed a drug test due to marijuana, and the Nevada State Athletic Commission stripped Diaz of the win and ruled the fight a no-contest. He returned for a split-decision victory over Mike Aina in September before the loss to Noons in November.

Diaz is now 4-1 (with one no-contest) in his past six fights.

He’ll now take on Corbbrey, an up-and-comer who made a name for himself with back-to-back victories in EliteXC’s “ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series” events, which air on Showtime. Corbbrey scored a unanimous-decision victory over Lee Gibson (11-3) in July and a first-round submission of Bobby McMaster (7-2) in October.

Corbbrey is a boxing and Muay Thai competitor who’s also competed in several of the world’s top grappling competitions.

The April 26 event will be EliteXC’s second ever in Hawaii. The organization’ s September 2007 “Uprising” card took place Oahu, where Robbie Lawler defeated Murilo “Ninja” Rua in the night’s main event.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 54 views

Nick Diaz says he's hoping to return to fighting by the New Year. Any chance that coincides with Anderson Silva recently trying to lure him out of retirement? more

  • 28 days ago
  • 40 views

So basically, we have another six months of him waffling. I guess that Walmart gig isn't working out. Retired Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight Nick Diaz is back in the headlines, after showing his face at last weekend's (Sat., June 21, 2014) GLORY double-feature in Inglewood, Calif. (results here). That's where he ran into veteran reporter Loretta Hunt. Ran into Nick Diaz last nite at Glory. Good mood. Said he hoped to be fighting again by new year; trying to work out contracts more

  • 26 days ago
  • 43 views

... in the most Nick Diaz way possible. Though based on his latest round of contract talks with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), we may see Anderson Silva return from his shattered shin before Diaz emerges from his self-imposed retirement. And what of the chatter that he'll eventually throw down against "The Spider?" Just rumors for now, but if there is one thing we've learned in the fight game, never say never. Well, usually. more

  • 29 days ago
  • 102 views

It's been over a year since Diaz last appeared inside the Octagon. While he says some negotiations still stand in the way, Diaz plans to return to the cage by the end of the year. Since rejoining the UFC in 2011, Welterweight Nick Diaz has gone a disappointing 1-2 after three fights inside the Octagon. However, his record doesn't tell the whole story as Diaz has faced off against some of the best the promotion has to offer. He outworked former two-division champ B.J. Penn in his re-debut, follow more

  • 22 days ago
  • 57 views

Money remains the major hangup for the boys from Stockton, CA. After UFC lightweight Myles Jury took to Twitter Sunday in an attempt to lure Nate Diaz back into action, the younger Diaz brother again responded only with gripes about his current contract with the promotion. .@NateDiaz209 I respect u a lot, BUT... I confirmed to fight you & have been waiting on you for a week. Are we getting after it or what? — Myles Jury (@FuryJury) June 29, 2014 Bout my money #breakbread till then don't call .. more

  • 21 days ago
  • 50 views

Anderson Silva will return to the Octagon in 2015, and he welcomes the idea of fighting Nick Diaz. In a recent media scrum in Rio de Janeiro, Silva confirmed he won’t compete this year since he’s "not feeling safe to return (in 2014)," and a fight with Diaz, a former welterweight title contender who is currently retired, would be interesting. "Well, if everybody is saying that it would be an interesting fight, what am I going to say?" Silva said. "It could be an interesting fight." Silva sparred more

  • 21 days ago
  • 46 views

"The Spider" has no desire to complete a trilogy against the UFC middleweight champion but would accept a fight with Nick Diaz. Anderson Silva still doesn't know how long is going it take for him step on the octagon again but the former UFC middleweight champion told Brazilian media that he is open to the possible fight between him and Nick Diaz. However, "The Spider" doesn't feel that he and Chris Weidman should fight each other one more time, as the current UFC 185-pound champion is 2-0 in the more

  • 21 days ago
  • 39 views

Nick and Nate Diaz appear willing to continue their battle with the UFC over fighter pay as long as it takes after both used social media to make their continued complaints clear. Nick Diaz and brother Nate Diaz are in a very unique situation in the modern mixed martial arts world. Where the UFC has failed in creating compelling, high drawing stars, the Diaz brothers--Nick especially--remain "mainstream attractions." This may be in large part due to antics that some find tasteless or objectionab more

  • 16 days ago
  • 21 views

Justin Gaethje puts away Nick Newell to maintain his hold on the World Series of Fighting lightweight crown in Daytona Beach, Fla. more