nick-diaz-34.jpgIn an email to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Nick Diaz rep Jonathan Tweedale today the fighter has not received an offer to return to the octagon.

On Wednesday, BJPenn Radio quoted longtime Diaz trainer Cesar Gracie, who said the onetime title challenger had been communicating with the UFC in Las Vegas and that there was “an offer on the table” from the promotion that included a potential fight against an unspecified opponent.

“Dana has offered him a fight,” Gracie said. “There is an offer on the table, I can’t say who it is, but it’s kind of neat I think. But no decision’s have been made for sure.”

In a brief interview today with MMAjunkie.com, however, Gracie downplayed the seriousness of the talks and stressed that, contrary to several media reports, no new contract had been offered, because Diaz was already under contract with the promotion.

“I was misquoted by BJPenn.com,” he said. “There’s no bout agreement. There’s no new contract.”

Tweedale did not respond to follow-up requests asking whether Diaz, who’s reportedly made overtures toward a comeback, remains retired.

A Canada-based lawyer, Tweedale once worked for the Vancouver Athletic Commission and began working with Diaz earlier this year. His apparent takeover as Diaz’s rep drew the ire of Gracie, who initially denied Tweedale had a role in the fighter’s camp.

In the wake of Diaz’s regrettable admission at UFC 158 that he’d never paid taxes, Gracie and Tweedale sparred over who was responsible for the fighter’s predicament. Gracie said the fighter had paid $100,000 to Uncle Sam, while Tweedale claimed the trainer and manager had neglected to help Diaz with his returns.

The ensuing months saw Tweedale take a more public role as Diaz’s representative and even become the organizer of Diaz’s “War MMA” promotion, which held its first event this past month.

Following his loss to welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre at UFC 158, Diaz said he would retire. In several subsequent interviews, Tweedale said the fighter remained out of the business.

Yet earlier this month, UFC President Dana White revealed that he’d been in touch with Diaz, who’d recently broken up with his girlfriend and reportedly wanted a fight.

“Nick Diaz is under contract with the UFC,” White said. “Whenever Nick Diaz wants a fight, I’m more than happy to get him a fight.”

Diaz has trained with Gracie from the age of 17, when he first began training jiu-jitsu. He is still part of the Cesar Gracie Fight Team, which includes UFC standouts Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez, and his younger brother, Nate Diaz.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

VIDEO: Rampage Out, Benson Henderson In? The Offer is Out There

  • 26 days ago
  • 1 views

With Rampage Jackson out, does Benson Henderson's offer make him the new Cowboy Cerrone? Michael Bisping and Kenny Florian lay it out. read news >>

Video: Watch today's incredibly uneventful face-off with Gabriel Gonzaga and 'Cro Cop'

  • 26 days ago
  • 1 views

In terms of heated face-offs, there were Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier, Michael Bisping vs. Tim Kennedy and – more recently – Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor. But Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Mirko Filipovic? Yea read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 drug test results released

  • 26 days ago
  • 40 views

Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) today released the drug test results for UFC Fight Night 62 on FOX Sports 1, which took place inside Maracanazinho Gymnasium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on S read news >>

Tickets on sale today for UFC Fight Night 68 in New Orleans, $175 gets you cageside

  • 26 days ago
  • 2 views

Tickets go on sale to today for June’s UFC Fight Night 68 in New Orleans, featuring a light heavyweight tilt at the top of the bill.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jorge Masvidal, female fighters take up Ben Henderson on his UFC 186 offer

  • 27 days ago
  • 152 views

Three fighters, including two in the women's bantamweight division, are "ready" to fight Ben Henderson at UFC 186. Earlier today, the cursed UFC 186 card in Montreal got even worse when Quinton Jacks read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, March 7: What more can Chad Mendes do?

  • 27 days ago
  • 15 views

It’s not easy being the world’s clear No. 2 featherweight, especially when you already have two losses to the guy ranked a spot ahead of you.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Benson Henderson offers to save UFC 186 after Rampage fiasco

  • 27 days ago
  • 965 views

Well, it looks like the UFC has at least one offer on the table to bolster their flagging UFC 186 PPV. Former lightweight champion Benson Henderson is throwing out a welterweight challenge. Benson He read news >>

Benson Henderson willing to save UFC 186, issues open call for opponents

  • 27 days ago
  • 20 views

UFC 186 lost its planned co-headliner earlier today, but former champion Benson Henderson is willing to save the day.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

UFC hires BALCO investigator Jeff Novitzky for 'clean initiative education program'

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

The UFC today announced the hiring of a prominent anti-doping figure as part of its ongoing efforts to ensure clean competition within the promotion’s octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>