Nick Diaz on Georges St-Pierre: ‘If I Were in His Place, I’d Be Asking for Anderson Silva”


Carlos-Condit-Nick-Diaz-9286-UFC-143When the UFC matched up welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre with Nick Diaz for the UFC 158 main event, nearly everyone thought the smack talk leading up to the fight would be epic, particularly from Diaz.

Then St-Pierre started saying things like he wanted the fight with Diaz because he really wanted to shut him up, that “Diaz deserves to be beat down.”

The comments are uncharacteristic of St-Pierre, and Diaz’s reserve has left him being the one more-or-less responding to the champion’s trash talk instead of what most thought would be vice-versa.

Diaz isn’t afraid to speak his mind, but thus far he hasn’t been the “unleashed” version of Nick Diaz that many expected, and he’s actually defended all the chatter that he trash talked his way into this fight.

“I’m the real fighter. The guy that trained karate as a kid, went to the boxing gym, and went to the jiu-jitsu academy,” said Diaz in a recent UFC interview. “I started from 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, by 23 I was fighting No. 1 people in the world.

“I will tell you right now, I want to fight the No. 1 fighter in the world. I have always said that. I want to fight the No. 1 fighter. Georges has never said that. That’s the only thing I’ve ever said negative about Georges.”

It’s a strong criticism, but it’s hardly the epic trash talk he’s often accused of.

“If I were in his place, I would do more,” Diaz continued. “I would be asking for the Anderson Silva fight. I wouldn’t let that blow away. That’s crazy!”

There’s still a week and a half to go until St-Pierre and Diaz hit the Octagon at the Bell Centre in Montreal, plenty of time for Diaz to talk the talk, but he seems more intent on walking the walk.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 84 views

Nick Diaz has decided to opt out of retirement, signing a three-fight contract extension with the UFC on Thursday, setting up a possible fight with Anderson Silva. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 116 views

The Stockton Bad Boy is back. Is a bout with Anderson Silva far behind? Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz has signed a contract extension with the UFC and will return from his self-i read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 48 views

Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz discusses his intention to fight Anderson Silva before challenging Johny Hendricks for the welterweight title. Considering many of the questions in read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 65 views

Daniel Cormier has stepped in for Alexander Gustafsson to meet Jon Jones at UFC 173 in September. That comes on the heels of Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier being added to the blockbuster card. Whi read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 68 views

UFC star Nick Diaz signed a contract extension on July 24 at Zuffa headquarters. He then sat down with UFC.com to talk about his future. read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 883 views

There was something of a collective sigh of relief when Nick Diaz emerged from retirement earlier this month. Check out what he had to tell UFC.com about returning to the octagon.Filed under: Feature read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 563 views

Nick Diaz spoke to UFC.com recently after re-signing with the UFC about his career aspirations, his time off, fighting for the belt, a potential fight against Anderson Silva, Robbie Lawler, and more. read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 37 views

A five-round matchup between Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz will take place Jan. 31 in Las Vegas. UFC President Dana White today revealed the bout will serve as a headlining contest for what is expecte read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 944 views

After a week of teasing it, the UFC has officially booked Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz. Today, Dana White appeared on ESPN with a fight announcement that had been teased all week. Anderson Silva will read news >>