GOIANIA, Brazil – Nick Diaz isn’t quite ready to return to the cage, according to UFC President Dana White.
The UFC boss said he offered the former Strikeforce welterweight champion a fight as recently as last week, but Diaz’s manager said his client would prefer to remain inactive.
“I talked to his manager last week,” White told MMAjunkie.com. “He is retired. … I was going to offer him I fight.”
White revealed his intentions while addressing a small group of reporters following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 32 event in Goiania, Goias, Brazil.
Diaz fought most recently in March, when he lost a unanimous decision to Georges St-Pierre in a failed bid for the UFC welterweight title. Citing his frustration with the sport of MMA, Diaz promptly announced his retirement. However, he’s since been connected to a number of potential fights – including, most recently, a rumored fight with Michael Bisping.
White played coy when asked what opponent was on the table for Diaz.
“I don’t remember,” White said with a smile.
Diaz recently told Fighters Only he would be open to the idea of staging a comeback if certain criteria were met, including a substantial pay-per-view bonus in his contract.
“Well, we could negotiate,” Diaz told Fighters Only. “I am a pretty big draw. So we would have to negotiate a pretty decent amount of pay and a pretty decent amount from the pay-per-view. I’m talking like three to five dollars (per PPV unit sold), the same as these other important fighters are getting because I am out there putting on a show.”
Apparently, those demands were not addressed, and Diaz will remain retired – at least for now.
For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 32, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
(Pictured: Nick Diaz)