Nick Diaz Will Get Top Contender Not GSP/Condit Winner When He Returns in 2013


Nick Diaz UFC 129When Nick Diaz is eligible to re-apply for a fight license in February 2013, a top fight in the UFC welterweight division will be awaiting him, but it won’t be a title fight.

Diaz lost his last bout by unanimous decision to current UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit. He was then suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after testing positive for marijuana following the bout.

Because it was his second infraction for the same substance, Diaz was handed a one-year suspension by the commission. The suspension runs through Feb. 4, 2013.

The UFC’s welterweight division will move on in Diaz’s absence, most notably on Nov. 17 at UFC 154 when Georges St-Pierre returns to action to face Carlos Condit to unify the welterweight title.

Also on that card, Martin Kampmann meets Johny Hendricks in what is presumably a No. 1 contender’s fight with the winner getting the next crack at either St-Pierre or Condit.

While the reigning UFC champion still has to get through Condit before anything else can happen, St-Pierre has had a long standing feud with Diaz over the last two years, and a fight between the two rivals could be one of the most requested fights in UFC history.

UFC president Dana White is well aware that many fans are still clamoring for a St-Pierre vs. Diaz showdown, but it won’t be the fight welcoming the Stockton bad boy back to the cage even if GSP defeats Condit.

“When Diaz gets off suspension, he’ll have a fight against one of the top guys at 170 pounds, and then we’ll see what happens,” White said this week.

“I agree, a lot of people want to see that fight.”

Diaz’s camp has pushed for a fight against pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva, although there’s not much chance that bout actually comes to fruition.

What’s more likely is Diaz returns in early 2013 and faces any number of top eligible welterweight contenders currently without a fight. Names would include Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, or Jake Ellenberger, but right now Diaz still has to wait for the suspension he’s currently under to be lifted and then he can book his next fight.

For more news and rumors make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 17 days ago
  • 46 views

Research into the UFC Fight Pass stats after almost 9 months of service reveals which fighters the fans want to watch most. Yahoo's Kevin Iole has been given access to the UFC's internal Fight Pass s read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 216 views

Joe Schilling earned Nick Diaz's respect and friendship in true 209 style. The Glory kickboxing standout traveled to Stockton from his home in Los Angeles as a paid sparring partner, and to hear Schi read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 4 views

Former UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva says it’s safe to say the champion is back. It’s probably also safe to say he’s returning with a bit more humility. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 26 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) held a press conference in Brazil on Tuesday afternoon (Oct. 14, 2014) for Anderson Silva. The former middleweight champion spoke about recuperating his leg and h read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 3 views

According to a report from ESPN's Brett Okamoto, UFC welterweight Nick Diaz has plead not guilty to two DUI charges in San Joaquin County Court in California on Thursday. As previously reported by MM read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

Following a hearing for charges from a DUI in December of last year. The first of Nick Diaz's DUI court dates is behind him. He was in San Joaquin County court on Thursday, September 25th, for a pre- read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 16 views

Scroll down if you're only here for the Snazz. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight No. 1 contender Nick Diaz plead not guilty to a pair of DUI charges in San Joaquin County Court read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC talent Nick Diaz pleaded not guilty to two DUI charges in San Joaquin County Court in California on Thursday, according to an ESPN.com report. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

Cat Zingano reclaimed her top contender status at UFC 175 by defeating Amanda Nunes. The 32-year-old will face women's bantamwieght champ Ronda Rousey in January. read news >>