Although Georges St-Pierre’s decision-making ultimately got him a shot at the belt, Nick Diaz still isn’t convinced the UFC welterweight champion is making the best career moves.

St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) and Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) meet next week in UFC 158's pay-per-view headliner. The March 16 event, which takes place at Montreal’s Bell Centre, will conclude a beef that began in June 2011, when officials first announced their plans for a St-Pierre vs. Diaz bout.

However, since then, St-Pierre’s injuries, as well as Diaz’s press-conference absences and drug suspension, have delayed the booking. But a bout nearly two years in the making is now right around the corner.

However, in a pre-fight interview that the UFC conducted, Diaz said he is surprised St-Pierre hasn’t been campaigning for another fight – one with middleweight champion and pound-for-pound kingpin Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC).

“I started (competing at) like from 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 (years old),” Diaz said. “By 23, I’m fighting No. 1 people in the world. I will tell you right now I’ll fight the No. 1 guy in the world. I’ve always said, that I want to fight the No. 1 fighter.

“Georges has never said that. That’s the only thing I’ve ever said negative about Georges, that if I were in his place, I’d be asking for the Anderson Silva fight. I wouldn’t let that blow away. That’s crazy.”

A victory over Diaz, though, could set up such a scenario. As ( recently reported, UFC President Dana White has promised either a St-Pierre vs. Silva or Jon Jones vs. Silva super fight by year’s end.

Of course, should Diaz pull off the upset next week – and given his willingness to campaign for the big fights he wants – he could conceivably slide into one of the slots.

In any manner, check out the full conversation above.

And for more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Nick Diaz Suspended 5 Years for Failed Drug Tests: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 25 days ago

UFC fighter Nick Diaz has been fined $165,000 and suspended for five years by the Nevada State Athletic Commission because of multiple failed drug tests. USA Today's John Morgan reported the news Mon read news >>

Open Letter to the NSAC concerning the hearing of Nick Diaz

  • 25 days ago

Connor Ruebusch of Bloody Elbow pens an open letter to the heads of the Commission that suspended UFC fighter Nick Diaz for a failed test for marijuana. To Whom It May Concern, I followed Nick Diaz's read news >>

NSAC suspends Nick Diaz five years, $165k fine

  • 25 days ago

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today handed down its harshest punishment on a fighter to date, suspending Nick Diaz for five years following his positive UFC 183 marijuana test.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Pro fighters react to Nick Diaz's suspension by the NAC

  • 25 days ago

The NAC's five-year suspension of Nick Diaz surprised the MMA world. Check out their reaction below. 5years for smoking a natural plant.. Then all the juice heads get a slap on the wrist. #seriousbro read news >>

VIDEO: Nick Diaz Pleads 5th Amendment Over UFC 183 Drug Test Positive for Marijuana

  • 25 days ago

UFC fighter Nick Diaz went before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday to address positive drug test results for marijuana metabolites at UFC 183. read news >>

Nick Diaz suspended five years for failed UFC 183 drug test

  • 25 days ago

In a shocking decision, the Nevada Athletic Commission voted Monday to place Nick Diaz on a five-year suspension for a failed UFC 183 drug test for marijuana metabolites. The verdict was passed unani read news >>

Nick Diaz fined $165,000, suspended five years by NSAC for UFC 183 positive drug test

  • 25 days ago

Team Diaz, however, is likely to appeal. Might wanna pump the brakes on that Anderson Silva rematch. Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) summoned Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight read news >>

Diaz suspended 5 years for marijuana use at UFC 183

  • 25 days ago

The NAC hands Nick Diaz a suspension of 5 years as well as 33% of his $500,000 purse, in a heated disciplinary meeting. In a lengthy NAC hearing that spanned over three hours, Nick Diaz was handed a read news >>

NAC hearing for Nick Diaz and Rousimar Palhares live discussion & updates

  • 25 days ago

The Nevada Athletic Commission will be live on Fight Pass today at 12 PM ET to address the drug test failure of Nick Diaz, as well as Rousimar Palhares' latest submission holding controversy. Christm read news >>

Lawyer for Nick Diaz wants deputy attorney general ousted from NAC drug test hearing

  • 28 days ago

The ongoing saga between Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight Nick Diaz has appeared to hit a new snag. In case you've been living under a rock, 209' read news >>