Although Georges St-Pierre’s decision-making ultimately got him a shot at the belt, Nick Diaz still isn’t convinced the UFC welterweight champion is making the best career moves.
St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) and Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) meet next week in UFC 158's pay-per-view headliner. The March 16 event, which takes place at Montreal’s Bell Centre, will conclude a beef that began in June 2011, when officials first announced their plans for a St-Pierre vs. Diaz bout.
However, since then, St-Pierre’s injuries, as well as Diaz’s press-conference absences and drug suspension, have delayed the booking. But a bout nearly two years in the making is now right around the corner.
However, in a pre-fight interview that the UFC conducted, Diaz said he is surprised St-Pierre hasn’t been campaigning for another fight – one with middleweight champion and pound-for-pound kingpin Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC).
“I started (competing at) like from 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 (years old),” Diaz said. “By 23, I’m fighting No. 1 people in the world. I will tell you right now I’ll fight the No. 1 guy in the world. I’ve always said, that I want to fight the No. 1 fighter.
“Georges has never said that. That’s the only thing I’ve ever said negative about Georges, that if I were in his place, I’d be asking for the Anderson Silva fight. I wouldn’t let that blow away. That’s crazy.”
A victory over Diaz, though, could set up such a scenario. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, UFC President Dana White has promised either a St-Pierre vs. Silva or Jon Jones vs. Silva super fight by year’s end.
Of course, should Diaz pull off the upset next week – and given his willingness to campaign for the big fights he wants – he could conceivably slide into one of the slots.
In any manner, check out the full conversation above.
And for more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.