Nick Diaz has a message for UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

“To be honest, I’d like a rematch,” Diaz said in an interview with Fox Sports after falling via unanimous decision in the main event of UFC 158 at Bell Centre in Montreal. “Georges St. Pierre, if you would give me a rematch, I’d really appreciate it, because I think I can beat you.”

Just moments after seeing the UFC champion’s hand raised, Diaz said he was contemplating leaving mixed martial arts in a post-fight interview reminiscent to the one he gave following a defeat to Carlos Condit last year.

“Like I said, I’m trying to retire and get out of this gig, but I would like a rematch [with St. Pierre],” Diaz told Fox Sports. “I think I can beat you, I really do. I think I can stop the takedowns in the first two rounds, and you’d have to fight me the whole fight, and I think I’d beat you. I’m not hurt.”

Diaz found himself on the bottom during much of the bout’s opening 10 minutes, with St. Pierre using jabs and superman punches to upset the Californian’s timing and set up double-leg takedowns.

“I think I could have stopped the takedowns. I think I could have gotten the takedowns, come to think of it. I was just really flat,” said Diaz. “I slept like all the way until eight o’clock at night. This Canada thing, I knew it was going to be something to deal with, but I didn’t know if the sleep that I was getting today was going to work with me or against me. The third and fourth round, I felt real good. The fifth round, I was a little worn out, but the first two rounds, I think I was just moving really slow. I was hoping for a knockout.”

Diaz did have his moments in rounds three and four, catching the champion with flurries of clean punches to the head and body. Ultimately, however, St. Pierre continued with his takedown attack and stifled much of Diaz’s ground game, earning scores of 50-45 in a clean sweep with the cageside judges. Though Diaz believes his business with St. Pierre remains unfinished, the former Strikeforce titlist does not appear certain that his request will be granted.

“If I don’t get a rematch, then who am I going to fight? I’m not going to fight any of these guys out here. They came in after me. Georges is the only one,” said Diaz. “I’ve done everything I set out to do. I’ve fought everybody who started when I did in my era. I don’t want to get in there and jump around with these new kids. I don’t think Georges wants to fight Anderson Silva. I really don’t think he does, so if he [doesn’t], and they make that Johny Hendricks [match], Johny Hendricks is probably going to get worked. Whatever happens there, I’ll take a rematch if I can get it. I doubt he’ll give me one. I don’t think he wants to fight me again.”

Amanda Nunes Makes Easy Work of Ronda Rousey (UFC 207 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

How did Amanda Nunes so easily defeat Ronda Rousey? Miesha Tate, Michael Bisping and Kenny Florian break down the big fight. read news >>

Watch Joe Lauzon Make Quick Work of Diego Sanchez at UFC 200 (Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Joe Lauzon defeat Diego Sanchez at UFC 200. Lauzon takes on Marcin Held in the co-main event at UFC Fight Night 103 in Phoenix. read news >>

Watch Valentina Shevchenko Defeat Sarah Kaufman (UFC Denver Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Before she takes on Juliana Pena at UFC on FOX 23 in Denver, check out Valentina Shevchenko's win over Sarah Kaufman. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey, Amanda Nunes After UFC 207

UFC boss Dana White insisted Ronda Rousey has been left “devastated” after her brutal defeat against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Making her long-awaited return to the Octagon, Rousey was pu read news >>

Watch Julianna Pena Finish Jessica Rakoczy with 1 Second Left (UFC Denver Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Watch Julianna Pena defeat Jessica Rakoczy to win The Ultimate Fighter Season 18. read news >>

Bellator 170: Ortiz vs. Sonnen Post-Fight Press Conference Replay | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz fought for the last time on Saturday at Bellator 170, defeating Chael Sonnen by submission in the first round. read news >>

Here's the latest lineup for Saturday's 'UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena'

• 23 hours ago

The UFC is off this weekend but returns Saturday. Check out the latest fight card for “UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena.”Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: 'Road to the Octagon' full episode with UFC on FOX 23's Shevchenko-Pena, Cerrone-Masvidal, Arlovski-Ngannou

• 19 hours ago

Check out the full “UFC Road to the Octagon” segment for Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on Fox 23 Joe Rogan Preview: Julianna Pena vs. Valentina Shevchenko | MMAWeekly.com

• 18 hours ago

UFC commentator Joe Rogan previews the main event for UFC on FOX 23, featuring bantamweight contenders Valentina Shevchenko and Julianna Pena. read news >>

Tito Ortiz Towers Over Bellator 170 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

• 16 hours ago

Tito Ortiz, already a UFC Hall of Fame member, went out on his own terms on Saturday at Bellator 170, also leading the charge on the disclosed fighter payroll. read news >>