Nick Diaz has a message for UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

“To be honest, I’d like a rematch,” Diaz said in an interview with Fox Sports after falling via unanimous decision in the main event of UFC 158 at Bell Centre in Montreal. “Georges St. Pierre, if you would give me a rematch, I’d really appreciate it, because I think I can beat you.”

Just moments after seeing the UFC champion’s hand raised, Diaz said he was contemplating leaving mixed martial arts in a post-fight interview reminiscent to the one he gave following a defeat to Carlos Condit last year.

“Like I said, I’m trying to retire and get out of this gig, but I would like a rematch [with St. Pierre],” Diaz told Fox Sports. “I think I can beat you, I really do. I think I can stop the takedowns in the first two rounds, and you’d have to fight me the whole fight, and I think I’d beat you. I’m not hurt.”

Diaz found himself on the bottom during much of the bout’s opening 10 minutes, with St. Pierre using jabs and superman punches to upset the Californian’s timing and set up double-leg takedowns.

“I think I could have stopped the takedowns. I think I could have gotten the takedowns, come to think of it. I was just really flat,” said Diaz. “I slept like all the way until eight o’clock at night. This Canada thing, I knew it was going to be something to deal with, but I didn’t know if the sleep that I was getting today was going to work with me or against me. The third and fourth round, I felt real good. The fifth round, I was a little worn out, but the first two rounds, I think I was just moving really slow. I was hoping for a knockout.”

Diaz did have his moments in rounds three and four, catching the champion with flurries of clean punches to the head and body. Ultimately, however, St. Pierre continued with his takedown attack and stifled much of Diaz’s ground game, earning scores of 50-45 in a clean sweep with the cageside judges. Though Diaz believes his business with St. Pierre remains unfinished, the former Strikeforce titlist does not appear certain that his request will be granted.

“If I don’t get a rematch, then who am I going to fight? I’m not going to fight any of these guys out here. They came in after me. Georges is the only one,” said Diaz. “I’ve done everything I set out to do. I’ve fought everybody who started when I did in my era. I don’t want to get in there and jump around with these new kids. I don’t think Georges wants to fight Anderson Silva. I really don’t think he does, so if he [doesn’t], and they make that Johny Hendricks [match], Johny Hendricks is probably going to get worked. Whatever happens there, I’ll take a rematch if I can get it. I doubt he’ll give me one. I don’t think he wants to fight me again.”

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

NSAC meets Tuesday, Wanderlei Silva and Nick Diaz on agenda

  • 29 days ago
  • 41 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will meet next week, and one of their most controversial decisions in recent memory could be altered.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

  • 27 days ago
  • 31 views

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz Gets Drastically Reduced Suspension in NAC Settlement

  • 27 days ago
  • 15 views

Nick Diaz's case was back before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday due to a possible settlement agreement with the commission in regard to the fighter's five-year suspension and $165,000 fine read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 27 days ago
  • 9 views

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

  • 26 days ago
  • 49 views

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Nick Diaz UFC 183 Settlement Agreement and Supporting Documents

  • 26 days ago
  • 7 views

Here is the Nick Diaz and Nevada Athletic Commission settlement, and Diaz's declaration that he wrongfully pleaded the fifth amendment. read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

  • 26 days ago
  • 18 views

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Nick Diaz settlement spurred by admission he wrongly pled Fifth Amendment

  • 26 days ago
  • 16 views

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz had to admit he wrongly invoked the Fifth Amendment as part of a settlement he recently reached with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Nick Diaz rematching UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler? It's possible

  • 25 days ago
  • 33 views

Nick Diaz will be cleared to fight in August after reaching a settlement that saw his five-year suspension reduced to 18 months, and when he does return, another UFC title shot could be in the offing read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

  • 23 days ago
  • 18 views

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>