Nick Diaz Out; Carlos Condit Faces Georges St-Pierre in the Main Event at UFC 137


After two missed press conferences and $15,000 in missed flights, Nick Diaz has been yanked from the UFC 137 main event against Georges St-Pierre. Carlos Condit has stepped in to take his shot at the title on Oct. 29 in Las Vegas.

UFC president Dana White made the announcement on Wednesday.

“Nick Diaz has lost his opportunity at the welterweight championship, and Carlos Condit has it,” White stated.

According to White, Diaz missed a flight to Canada on Tuesday to promote the fight, and later asked to be rebooked for a later trip. Diaz then missed two more flights, and stopped returning White’s calls and messages.

At that point, White and the UFC had no options left but to pull Diaz from the fight and replace him with Carlos Condit. Diaz has apparently still not returned any calls to this point and the press conference on Wednesday was his notice that he will not be fighting for the UFC welterweight title.

“Diaz is going to find out on the news that he’s not fighting Georges St-Pierre, maybe he’ll call me back then,” White stated.

During the press conference, Diaz’s manager and trainer Cesar Gracie actually called White on the phone and apologized for the situation.

“I apologize and I agree with you 100 percent with what you’re doing,” Gracie told White over the phone.

With Diaz pulled from the fight, co-main event fighter Carlos Condit has been bumped into the title bout and will now face Georges St-Pierre at UFC 137.

“The timing was perfect for this to all come together. First I want to thank the UFC for allowing me this opportunity and also my agent Malki Kawa who saw an opening and took advantage of it. With me already fighting on that card, I will need to make some adjustments to get ready for a new opponent, but my actual training is still right on schedule,” Condit said in a statement on Wednesday.

“It’s an honor to be able to fight for the championship, especially against one of the legends of our sport in Georges St-Pierre. I’ve been fighting for nearly a decade and there has been a lot of blood, sweat, and tears that has gone into that. A lot of sacrifices have been made both personally and professionally, and I’m looking forward to showing the UFC that I am deserving of this opportunity.”

Condit was slated to face B.J. Penn in the co-main event on the card, so he has already been in full training getting ready for UFC 137. Many had pegged Condit as the next contender if he was able to get past Penn, but he’ll get his shot at GSP now.

Coming into UFC 137, Condit will be riding a four-fight win streak including victories over Dan Hardy, Jake Ellenberger, and Rory MacDonald.

“This kid absolutely deserves this title shot,” White commented about Condit.

As far as Nick Diaz goes, he remains missing in action with no word from him at this stage in the game. His future with the UFC is up in the air as well, and White will re-assess his situation later.

“We’ll see what happens,” White stated about Diaz’s future with the UFC.

Georges St-Pierre, who admitted he was upset at the actions of Nick Diaz, stated that he believed Carlos Condit was ‘more dangerous’ and has already switched his attention to his new fight.

As for Condit’s original opponent, B.J. Penn, White said that he is working on something right now for him to remain on the card against a new fighter, but details are still being worked out.

UFC 137 takes place on Oct. 29 in Las Vegas with the new main event pitting Georges St-Pierre against Carlos Condit.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 3 days ago
  • 0 views

New information released on UFC welterweight Nick Diaz reveals that the ex-Strikeforce champion had been booked on a previous DUI charge several months ago. Earlier today it was reported that UFC wel read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 75 views

But that's how he makes a living, so he doesn't have much choice. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White was finally able to lure former welterweight number one contender Nick Diaz read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 25 views

MMA Fighting has the UFC Fight Night 48 fight card for the Bisping vs. Le event in CotaiArena in Macau, China.In the main event, Michael Bisping squares off against Cung Le in a middleweight match. D read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 19 views

Michael Bisping and Cung Le will meet in the main event of UFC Fight Night 48 this Saturday from Macau. Bisping, the No. 8-ranked middleweight contender, will try to rebound after losing to Tim Kenne read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

Danny Castillo talks about his co-main event fight against Tony Ferguson at UFC 177. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Former two-time Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez has inked an exclusive deal with the UFC, and is now scheduled to make his long-awaited promotional debut against Donald Cerrone at UFC 178 read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 4 views

Rumors have become reality. Eddie Alvarez is finally a UFC fighter and Donald Cerrone is his first opponent. Not even 12 hours after it was revealed that Bellator had unconditionally released lightwe read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 7 views

UFC middleweight competitor Michael Bisping spoke with members of the media at the UFC Fight Night: Macau Media Day event, where he discussed a variety of topics including whether he enjoys competing read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 82 views

Could Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz be fighting for a shot at UFC gold when they meet early next year? UFC President Dana White can’t say for sure, but it’s certainly possible. Filed under: MMA Rumors read news >>