Nick Diaz signed a three-fight extension with the UFC. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Nick Diaz’s oft-rumored, eagerly-awaited return from retirement is finally a reality.

UFC President Dana White first brought word of Diaz’s comeback via Twitter on Thursday.

Shortly thereafter, the promotion revealed that the Stockton, Calif., resident signed a three-fight contract extension. Diaz has not fought since losing a five-round verdict to Georges St. Pierre in a welterweight title tilt at UFC 158 on Nov. 16, 2013.

"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."

Diaz has been rumored as a potential opponent for Anderson Silva’s comeback from a broken leg. While nothing was announced on Thursday, a report from MMAFighting.com hinted that Silva-Diaz could take place on the UFC’s traditional Super Bowl weekend card in 2015.

White offered a different take on the tantalizing bout, although his statement would seem to align with a potential Super Bowl weekend booking.

"There is no update on Anderson vs Diaz," the UFC boss wrote on Twitter. "Anderson can't fight [until February]. Lorenzo and I have not even talked to Anderson."

Diaz, meanwhile, seemed open to a variety of possibilities.

“[I’d like to fight] next year I guess -- whatever though. I can fight tomorrow; tonight," he said. "You have to do what you have to do. ... [I came today] to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo [Fertitta].

"It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I've been doing nothing. I've been getting some things done. Just because I'm not getting punched around every day doesn't mean I'm not focused on what I'm doing. Now, here we are."

A former Strikeforce titlist, Diaz returned to the Octagon after a nearly five-year hiatus with a unanimous decision triumph over B.J. Penn at UFC 137. In his next outing, he lost a highly-disputed decision against Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight strap at UFC 143. After his loss to St. Pierre, Diaz claimed he was “done with mixed martial arts.”

He made good on that promise for a while, even launching his own MMA promotion, the Stockton, Calif.-based War Mixed Martial Arts. However, demand for Diaz’s return was high, and the Cesar Gracie product started making media rounds at UFC events over the past few months.

Although he and the promotion were finally able to come to terms, one thing hasn’t changed: Diaz still wants to be involved in the biggest fights possible.

"I'd like to fight for the title," Diaz said. "I think that would be a big deal and worth fighting for. I want fights that will lead to a title fight. Whoever is in line and whoever has the title, that's who I'm going to be fighting,” he said.

"I'd be interested in fighting [Anderson Silva] and anything that's going to do well," he continued. "As far as Anderson Silva, I think that would be a great fight for people to see because he has my type of style."

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ben Askren Finally Set to Defend his ONE Championship Welterweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

It appears undefeated ONE Championship welterweight titleholder Ben Askren finally has a date for his next title defense. read news >>

Al Iaquinta Contract Dispute Nixes UFC New York Bout | MMAWeekly.com

Al Iaquinta had verbally agreed to fight at UFC New York, a fight he has wanted badly. Following a contract dispute, however, he is off the card. read news >>

Unbeaten Julia Jones Expecting a War in Invicta FC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Julia Jones will finally make her Invicta debut on September 23 in Kansas City, Missouri, against veteran Stephanie Skinner in a main card 105-pound bout. read news >>

Watch Nick Diaz & Tommy Chong Blaze Toke Up for a Backyard Smoke Session | MMAWeekly.com

Forget Cheech & Chong. Ladies and gentleman, now playing the role of Cheech is Nick Diaz. Welcome to 2016. read news >>

Finally freed of the scale, UFC Fight Night 95 co-headliner Renan Barao is not 'scared' of 145-pounders

BRASILIA, Brazil – Since moving up from the bantamweight division, former UFC champ Renan Barao might be walking around heavier – but, as far as his spirits go, he certainly feels lighter.Filed under read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

• a day ago

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Interim champ Jose Aldo wants UFC contract terminated after Alvarez vs. McGregor booking

• a day ago

Former featherweight champ and now interim titleholder [autotag]Jose Aldo[/autotag] says he no longer wants to fight for the UFC. Following UFC 205’s main-event booking, a lightweight title affair be read news >>

Bellator inks Cheick Kongo, Ilima Macfarlane to multi-fight contract extensions

• 18 hours ago

Bellator has signed two of its notable fighters to contract extensions. Heavyweight Cheick Kongo and women’s flyweight Ilima Macfarlane have both inked multi-fight contract extensions with the organi read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 pre-fight facts: Will Lineker or Dodson finally suffer first knockout loss?

• 16 hours ago

An epic matchup between bantamweight bombers John Lineker and John Dodson tops the UFC’s first event in Oregon since 2009. Take a look inside the numbers of UFC Fight Night 96.Filed under: Featured, read news >>