Nick Diaz signed a three-fight extension with the UFC. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com


Nick Diaz’s oft-rumored, eagerly-awaited return from retirement is finally a reality.

UFC President Dana White first brought word of Diaz’s comeback via Twitter on Thursday.

Shortly thereafter, the promotion revealed that the Stockton, Calif., resident signed a three-fight contract extension. Diaz has not fought since losing a five-round verdict to Georges St. Pierre in a welterweight title tilt at UFC 158 on Nov. 16, 2013.

"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."

Diaz has been rumored as a potential opponent for Anderson Silva’s comeback from a broken leg. While nothing was announced on Thursday, a report from MMAFighting.com hinted that Silva-Diaz could take place on the UFC’s traditional Super Bowl weekend card in 2015.

White offered a different take on the tantalizing bout, although his statement would seem to align with a potential Super Bowl weekend booking.

"There is no update on Anderson vs Diaz," the UFC boss wrote on Twitter. "Anderson can't fight [until February]. Lorenzo and I have not even talked to Anderson."

Diaz, meanwhile, seemed open to a variety of possibilities.

“[I’d like to fight] next year I guess -- whatever though. I can fight tomorrow; tonight," he said. "You have to do what you have to do. ... [I came today] to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo [Fertitta].

"It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I've been doing nothing. I've been getting some things done. Just because I'm not getting punched around every day doesn't mean I'm not focused on what I'm doing. Now, here we are."

A former Strikeforce titlist, Diaz returned to the Octagon after a nearly five-year hiatus with a unanimous decision triumph over B.J. Penn at UFC 137. In his next outing, he lost a highly-disputed decision against Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight strap at UFC 143. After his loss to St. Pierre, Diaz claimed he was “done with mixed martial arts.”

He made good on that promise for a while, even launching his own MMA promotion, the Stockton, Calif.-based War Mixed Martial Arts. However, demand for Diaz’s return was high, and the Cesar Gracie product started making media rounds at UFC events over the past few months.

Although he and the promotion were finally able to come to terms, one thing hasn’t changed: Diaz still wants to be involved in the biggest fights possible.

"I'd like to fight for the title," Diaz said. "I think that would be a big deal and worth fighting for. I want fights that will lead to a title fight. Whoever is in line and whoever has the title, that's who I'm going to be fighting,” he said.

"I'd be interested in fighting [Anderson Silva] and anything that's going to do well," he continued. "As far as Anderson Silva, I think that would be a great fight for people to see because he has my type of style."

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Brock Lesnar Signs New WWE Contract, Dana White Reacts to Star's UFC Retirement

  • 7 days ago
  • 8 views

Brock Lesnar announced Tuesday on ESPN that he would be re-signing with the WWE after rumors of contract talks with the UFC had been circling for months. UFC president Dana White weighed in on the si read news >>

Ronda Rousey Signs Long-term UFC Contract Extension

  • 6 days ago
  • 0 views

Following her UFC 184 14-second finish of Cat Zingano, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey negotiated a new long-term deal. read news >>

Bellator signs new light heavyweight champ Liam McGeary to contract extension

  • 15 days ago
  • 3 views

The biggest win of Liam McGeary’s career has turned into a lucrative one with a contract extension from Bellator now that he’s the light heavyweight champion.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bobby Lashley signs multi-fight contract extension with Bellator MMA

  • 12 days ago
  • 4 views

Unbeaten in two Bellator fights thus far, Bellator MMA has decided to double down on heavyweight fighter and professional wrestler Bobby Lashley, keeping him in the fold with a long term contract ext read news >>

Bobby Lashley signs long-term contract extension with Bellator

  • 12 days ago
  • 9 views

Looks like crossover star Bobby Lashley knows what the future holds. And it's more of the same for the pro wrestler-turned-mixed martial artist. On Friday, Bellator announced it had signed the 38-yea read news >>

Ronda Rousey inks longterm UFC contract extension

  • 5 days ago
  • 2 views

Like there was ever a chance Dana White and Co. would let one of its biggest goldmines go. Ahead of her sixth title defense against Bethe Correia -- which is set to go down at UFC 190 on Aug. 1, 2015 read news >>

‘Surprised’ with failed drug tests, Anderson Silva suggests rematch with Nick Diaz

  • 28 days ago
  • 10 views

Anderson Silva failed a couple drug tests for his UFC 183 middleweight clash with Nick Diaz, and he guarantees he has no idea why. In a video interview with TMZ, the former UFC middleweight champion read news >>

Anderson Silva 'surprised' he failed UFC 183 drug test, offers Nick Diaz immediate rematch

  • 28 days ago
  • 96 views

Why did Anderson Silva fail his UFC 183 drug test? Don't ask "The Spider," because the former middleweight champion has no explanation. In fact, when his manager informed him that Nevada State Athlet read news >>

Bellator injunction reveals exorbitant contract perks for Rampage Jackson as UFC legal battle continues

  • 27 days ago
  • 183 views

Bellator MMA's filing with the Superior Court in Burlington County, New Jersey, for an injunction against Quinton Jackson, revealed some interesting perks and expenditures they made to the former (an read news >>