Nick Diaz signed a three-fight extension with the UFC. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Nick Diaz’s oft-rumored, eagerly-awaited return from retirement is finally a reality.

UFC President Dana White first brought word of Diaz’s comeback via Twitter on Thursday.

Shortly thereafter, the promotion revealed that the Stockton, Calif., resident signed a three-fight contract extension. Diaz has not fought since losing a five-round verdict to Georges St. Pierre in a welterweight title tilt at UFC 158 on Nov. 16, 2013.

"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."

Diaz has been rumored as a potential opponent for Anderson Silva’s comeback from a broken leg. While nothing was announced on Thursday, a report from MMAFighting.com hinted that Silva-Diaz could take place on the UFC’s traditional Super Bowl weekend card in 2015.

White offered a different take on the tantalizing bout, although his statement would seem to align with a potential Super Bowl weekend booking.

"There is no update on Anderson vs Diaz," the UFC boss wrote on Twitter. "Anderson can't fight [until February]. Lorenzo and I have not even talked to Anderson."

Diaz, meanwhile, seemed open to a variety of possibilities.

“[I’d like to fight] next year I guess -- whatever though. I can fight tomorrow; tonight," he said. "You have to do what you have to do. ... [I came today] to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo [Fertitta].

"It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I've been doing nothing. I've been getting some things done. Just because I'm not getting punched around every day doesn't mean I'm not focused on what I'm doing. Now, here we are."

A former Strikeforce titlist, Diaz returned to the Octagon after a nearly five-year hiatus with a unanimous decision triumph over B.J. Penn at UFC 137. In his next outing, he lost a highly-disputed decision against Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight strap at UFC 143. After his loss to St. Pierre, Diaz claimed he was “done with mixed martial arts.”

He made good on that promise for a while, even launching his own MMA promotion, the Stockton, Calif.-based War Mixed Martial Arts. However, demand for Diaz’s return was high, and the Cesar Gracie product started making media rounds at UFC events over the past few months.

Although he and the promotion were finally able to come to terms, one thing hasn’t changed: Diaz still wants to be involved in the biggest fights possible.

"I'd like to fight for the title," Diaz said. "I think that would be a big deal and worth fighting for. I want fights that will lead to a title fight. Whoever is in line and whoever has the title, that's who I'm going to be fighting,” he said.

"I'd be interested in fighting [Anderson Silva] and anything that's going to do well," he continued. "As far as Anderson Silva, I think that would be a great fight for people to see because he has my type of style."

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Nick Diaz settlement spurred by admission he wrongly pled Fifth Amendment

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz had to admit he wrongly invoked the Fifth Amendment as part of a settlement he recently reached with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Nick Diaz rematching UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler? It's possible

Nick Diaz will be cleared to fight in August after reaching a settlement that saw his five-year suspension reduced to 18 months, and when he does return, another UFC title shot could be in the offing read news >>

Attorney: Following public apology, Wanderlei Silva released from UFC contract

The UFC on Wednesday released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the industry-leader, freeing him to fight for other promoters, the fighter’s longtime attorney today told MMAjunkie.Filed under: F read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Reportedly Released from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Reaction

Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie.com reported Thursday the UFC released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the company.The news coincides with Silva recanting his previous claim this past summer that read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Retracts UFC Fight-Fixing Statements, Reportedly Released from Contract

While Wanderlei Silva awaits resolution over his lifetime ban handed down by the Nevada Athletic Commission, it appears that he is close to being free of the UFC. read news >>

UFC champ Holly Holm signs endorsement deal with illegal supplement maker

Holly Holm, whose victory over Ronda Rousey turned her into one of the UFC’s most visible fighters, has signed an endorsement deal with a supplement maker that sells products banned from the UFC and read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>