Nick Diaz Comes out of Retirement to Sign 3-Fight Contract with UFC

Nick Diaz is no longer a retiree, agreeing to return to UFC for a three-fight contract. The company announced the deal on Thursday afternoon, per UFC.com's Matt Parrino.

'I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff,' Diaz said Thursday afternoon at UFC headquarters. 'I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off.'
 
The target for Diaz and the UFC is to get him back in the cage early next year, but the confident 30-year-old fighter said he'd be ready to fight tomorrow.

UFC President Dana White tweeted out a photo of him and Diaz after the welterweight star signed his contract:

Fox Sports' Mike Chiappetta is happy to see Diaz back in UFC:

Diaz's goal is to fight in early 2015. Everything else beyond that would likely be contingent on the success of that fight.

The 30-year-old already has a potential opponent in mind for his return bout:

'I'd like to fight for the title,' Diaz said. 'I think that would be a big deal and worth fighting for. I want fights that will lead to a title fight. Whoever is in line and whoever has the title, that's who I'm going to be fighting.

'I'd be interested in fighting [Anderson Silva] and anything that's going to do well,' he continued. 'As far as Anderson Silva, I think that would be a great fight for people to see because he has my type of style.'

MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani was told by a source that Diaz's first fight back in UFC will most likely be against Anderson Silva if everything goes according to plan, via MMAFighting.com's Dave Doyle.

White, however, tweeted out that no movement has been made on a potential bout between Diaz and Silva.

Fantasy Wired's Matt Brown believes that a Diaz-Silva fight could draw more interest than any previous fight between two guys on losing streaks:

Diaz lost his last two fights before going into semi-retirement. He was defeated by both Carlos Condit and Georges St-Pierre by unanimous decision.

That fact is largely immaterial at the moment. UFC is suffering from a lack of star power.

The company could once call upon any number of top fighters to headline a major pay-per-view, but fans are growing tired of either seeing the same guys battling one another, or the converse is watching fighters unworthy of title shots getting main events on the biggest shows of the year.

Fighting Silva would allow Diaz to prove himself as a viable title contender, while simultaneously giving UFC a bankable star to headline future PPVs.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

22-fight UFC veteran Chris Leben comes out of retirement to sign with Bellator

  • 3 days ago
  • 10 views

In a week that included the signing of former UFC and WEC champion, as well as a veteran heavyweight, Bellator added another big name to its roster on Friday. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

  • 28 days ago
  • 31 views

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz Gets Drastically Reduced Suspension in NAC Settlement

  • 28 days ago
  • 17 views

Nick Diaz's case was back before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday due to a possible settlement agreement with the commission in regard to the fighter's five-year suspension and $165,000 fine read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 28 days ago
  • 9 views

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

  • 28 days ago
  • 49 views

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Nick Diaz UFC 183 Settlement Agreement and Supporting Documents

  • 27 days ago
  • 7 views

Here is the Nick Diaz and Nevada Athletic Commission settlement, and Diaz's declaration that he wrongfully pleaded the fifth amendment. read news >>

Video: This is the head-kick KO that earned Tim Boetsch a UFC contract in 2010

  • 27 days ago
  • 59 views

This weekend at UFC Fight Night 81, Tim Boetsch fights for the 18th time under the UFC banner. Check out the dazzling performance that earned him a UFC contract in 2010.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

  • 27 days ago
  • 18 views

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Nick Diaz settlement spurred by admission he wrongly pled Fifth Amendment

  • 27 days ago
  • 16 views

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz had to admit he wrongly invoked the Fifth Amendment as part of a settlement he recently reached with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Nick Diaz rematching UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler? It's possible

  • 27 days ago
  • 33 views

Nick Diaz will be cleared to fight in August after reaching a settlement that saw his five-year suspension reduced to 18 months, and when he does return, another UFC title shot could be in the offing read news >>