Following a four-fight skid in the UFC and going winless in 2010 and 2011, Dan Hardy took time off from completion to sharpen his tools.  He has since reeled off back-to-back wins inside the famed Octagon.

We didn’t see much difference in his knockout win over Duane Ludwig at UFC 146 in May, but the British brawler is no longer just a brawler, as he showed in his UFC on Fuel TV 5 win over Amir Sadollah on Saturday in Nottingham, England.

Hardy paced himself through the opening round, finding his range and trying to keep the emotions of fighting in front of his hometown in check.  As the second round began to play out, we saw a new and improved Hardy.  He displayed improved takedown ability, game planning and a new skillset on the ground.

“I’ve got these skills now and I’ve been working on them for a year.  I didn’t get to use them in my last fight unfortunately, so they were a surprise in this one,” said Hardy following the fight on Fuel TV’s post-show.  “I’ve got a long way to go, though.  I’ve got a lot to improve upon.   A lot of the things we’ve been working on in training, I didn’t get to work tonight. So we’ve got some things to work on, but a little bit of progress tonight I think.”

The pressure of fighting at home has its benefits and drawbacks, but there is no place Hardy enjoys fighting more than Nottingham.

“There are pros and cons to it.  If you’re in the hotel, you feel like you’re at work all week, whereas, obviously, if you’re at home you have to remind yourself to switch up when it’s time,” he said.

“It was great.  I’ve been wanting to come back to the U.K. for a while and fight and obviously Nottingham is the ideal venue for me.  I’ve got a lot of support here and the fans are so passionate and this arena has a lot of good memories for me.”

Many fighters who drop four fights in a row in the UFC get served their walking papers, but the organization took a chance on the popular and exciting fighter and no one appreciates it more than Hardy.

“First and foremost, I’m a huge UFC fan.  I love this organization and to come out and fight for the UFC fans is at least just an honor.  It’s something that I’ll remember for the rest of my life and I’ll always dig my heels in and fight my best for them,” he said.

And that’s why Hardy remained when so many others haven’t…

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your UFC on Fuel TV 5 post-fight coverage.

Martin Kampmann's one who got away? Georges St-Pierre

Martin Kampmann’s decision to retire from MMA didn’t come as a surprise to many. After all, the veteran hadn’t stepped into the UFC octagon since Aug. 28, 2013.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Rad read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Dominick Cruz regains title with split over T.J. Dillashaw

BOSTON – Dominick Cruz didn’t lose his bantamweight title in the cage and T.J. Dillashaw needed to beat him to prove that he was the true champion. Unfortunately for Dillashaw, Cruz returned in his o read news >>

Dominick Cruz's win, like his comeback, a testament to resilience and resolve

Dominick Cruz didn’t dominate T.J. Dillashaw to reclaim the UFC bantamweight title that he never technically lost, but after all he’s been through, maybe that’s the most fitting way for Cruz to burst read news >>

Urijah Faber: Dillashaw got manipulated, can't foresee return to Team Alpha Male

BOSTON – Urijah Faber didn’t want to come to Boston to see live the UFC bantamweight title fight between T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz. He was there because he got paid – sort of.Filed under: Feat read news >>

How a couple of eyepokes changed Matt Mitrione’s career plans (spoiler: they didn’t)

UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione expects to undergo surgery Monday for an orbital blowout fracture he suffered from a Travis Browne punch at UFC Fight Night 81.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 results: Randy Brown outworks Matt Dwyer for decision win

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t exactly blow away the competition in his UFC debut, but when pushed to the limit by Matt Dwyer, the much-hyped prospect did just enough to win in a very close fight. read news >>

Fighter reactions to Sage Northcutt's UFC on FOX 18 loss were harsh to say the least

Sage Northcutt’s fellow fighters didn’t hesitate to kick him while he was down after the 19-year-old suffered the first defeat of his career on Saturday at UFC on FOX 18.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC newcomer Randy Brown 'can't wait to do it again'

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t quite make the same impact as the man who blazed the trail he took to the UFC, Sage Northcutt, but “Rude Boy” said he felt comfortable in his win and is ready to go read news >>