johny-hendricks-georges-st-pierre-ufc-167New UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks won’t be wearing his belt around town, and he’s definitely not going to sleep with it.

Instead, he’s taking it to the bank – literally.

“I’m going to put it in a vault,” Hendricks today told MMAjunkie Radio. “It’s going to be locked away.”

Hendricks (16-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) and Robbie Lawler (22-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) drew just shy of 20,000 reported fans to watch a new champ crowned at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. In this past Saturday’s UFC 171 pay-per-view headliner, the pair fought for a belt left vacant by the semi-retirement of Georges St-Pierre.

Hendricks said he’ll celebrate his narrow win for a few more days. But very soon, the biggest reminder of his biggest accomplishment is going away until he can defend his title a couple more times.

“I want a couple more before I can be happy with the performance that I’ve given,” Hendricks said.

Of course, apart from Lawler, who lost three of five rounds on two judges’ scorecards (the final tallies were unanimously 48-47 for Hendricks), you’d be hard pressed to find someone unhappy with the heart and courage on display in the title bout. Both fighters took a tremendous amount of punishment and rallied from danger. Hendricks likely cinched the title in the final round when he landed a barrage of punches and a takedown that sent the crowd into a frenzy.

Late Saturday night, billboards around town congratulated the new champ on his victory.

Hendricks, though, isn’t satisfied by winning the belt that eluded him when St-Pierre won a controversial decision at this past November’s UFC 167 event.

“I want to remember what it felt like to get it, and I want to feel what it feels like to get the next one,” he said. “I’m still 0-0. Yeah, I was able to do something great on Saturday, but realistically, I’ve got to turn right back around and do it again if I want to stay champ. I want to get back and see how my body is doing and start moving forward.”

As for who Hendricks would like to be standing opposite him when he returns to the cage, an old familiar name is at the top of the list.

“There’s only one person I’d like to fight, and I’m pretty sure everybody knows who that is,” he said. “And that’s Georges St-Pierre. I would like to get back into the octagon with him. If that can happen, then I want that. So that’s what I’m really shooting for.”

From the look of things, Hendricks may get what he wants sooner than later. St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) remains on hiatus from the sport, but he recently hinted to reporters that his break may not be as long as he initially made it seem.

For the latest on UFC 171, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

* * * *

Check out video highlights and a recap of UFC 171:

This embed is invalid

"/>

From Around the Web

Hendricks over GSP loss, tells the ex-champ to 'stay in retirement'

Heavy hitting welterweight slugger Johny Hendricks was featured as a guest on Sunday's edition of Submission Radio. Bigg Rigg analyzed his performance at UFC 167 against Georges St-Pierre and reveale read news >>

Johny Hendricks to GSP: 'Hey, Stay in Retirement'

Johny Hendricks isn’t losing sleep over Georges St-Pierre’s lingering decision of whether to return to the UFC. As far as Big Rigg is concerned, the chapter has closed on the St-Pierre era, and he is read news >>

Conor McGregor's Point of View Video of GSP-Hendricks Walkout Is an Experience

Conor McGregor is everywhere these days. He's even starting to show up in the past, so to speak. Combing through the MMA Reddit page, one can find many hidden gems. Today a video of Connor McGregor s read news >>

The MMA Hour - 276 - Inside the Vault

Ariel Helwani looks back at a classic interview 'Inside the Vault.' read news >>

Johny Hendricks has a message for Georges St. Pierre: Hey, stay in retirement!

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (25-2) is "thinking about" coming back to the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) after spending more than a year on read news >>

Jose Aldo predicts McGregor fight won’t last four minutes: ‘I’ll catch him earlier’

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo discusses the UFC 189 World Tour, along with all its highs and lows in a media scrum following his return to Brazil. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 bonuses: Chad Mendes, Dustin Poirier, Juliana Pena and more bank an extra $50,000 in Fairfax

Mo money, mo problems ... Performance The dust has barely settled on UFC Fight Night 63: "Mendes vs. Lamas" from Fairfax, Va., which means it's time to honor those select fighters who went above and read news >>

Claudia Gadelha fires back at Aisling Daly’s steroid allegations

Claudia Gadelha and Aisling Daly won’t fight anymore at UFC Fight Night 64, but that doesn’t mean the fire between them is gone. Daly, who now faces Randa Markos at UFC 186, was asked about a "beef" read news >>

Joseph Benavidez and tons of other fighters showed off their pups! Plus GSP and Joanna!

Welcome to another week of MMA on Instagram! MMA stalker Katie Winter has collected the best pics that UFC and other MMA fighters and personalities were sharing this week, and they're all here for yo read news >>