johny-hendricks-georges-st-pierre-ufc-167New UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks won’t be wearing his belt around town, and he’s definitely not going to sleep with it.

Instead, he’s taking it to the bank – literally.

“I’m going to put it in a vault,” Hendricks today told MMAjunkie Radio. “It’s going to be locked away.”

Hendricks (16-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) and Robbie Lawler (22-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) drew just shy of 20,000 reported fans to watch a new champ crowned at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. In this past Saturday’s UFC 171 pay-per-view headliner, the pair fought for a belt left vacant by the semi-retirement of Georges St-Pierre.

Hendricks said he’ll celebrate his narrow win for a few more days. But very soon, the biggest reminder of his biggest accomplishment is going away until he can defend his title a couple more times.

“I want a couple more before I can be happy with the performance that I’ve given,” Hendricks said.

Of course, apart from Lawler, who lost three of five rounds on two judges’ scorecards (the final tallies were unanimously 48-47 for Hendricks), you’d be hard pressed to find someone unhappy with the heart and courage on display in the title bout. Both fighters took a tremendous amount of punishment and rallied from danger. Hendricks likely cinched the title in the final round when he landed a barrage of punches and a takedown that sent the crowd into a frenzy.

Late Saturday night, billboards around town congratulated the new champ on his victory.

Hendricks, though, isn’t satisfied by winning the belt that eluded him when St-Pierre won a controversial decision at this past November’s UFC 167 event.

“I want to remember what it felt like to get it, and I want to feel what it feels like to get the next one,” he said. “I’m still 0-0. Yeah, I was able to do something great on Saturday, but realistically, I’ve got to turn right back around and do it again if I want to stay champ. I want to get back and see how my body is doing and start moving forward.”

As for who Hendricks would like to be standing opposite him when he returns to the cage, an old familiar name is at the top of the list.

“There’s only one person I’d like to fight, and I’m pretty sure everybody knows who that is,” he said. “And that’s Georges St-Pierre. I would like to get back into the octagon with him. If that can happen, then I want that. So that’s what I’m really shooting for.”

From the look of things, Hendricks may get what he wants sooner than later. St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) remains on hiatus from the sport, but he recently hinted to reporters that his break may not be as long as he initially made it seem.

For the latest on UFC 171, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

* * * *

Check out video highlights and a recap of UFC 171:

This embed is invalid

"/>

Johny Hendricks Video: GSP Doesn’t Want to Come Back Because I’ll Be Here to Beat Him

Johny Hendricks doesn't believe that Georges St-Pierre wants to return to the UFC because he knows that Hendricks would be there waiting to beat him. read news >>

Johny Hendricks Breaks Down Fight and Talks GSP in UFC Fight Night 82 Workout Scrum Video

Johny Hendricks breaks down his plans and calls out the doubters ahead of his UFC Fight Night 82 bout with Stephen Thompson. read news >>

Johny Hendricks Promises that Stephen Thompson Fight Won’t Be a Decision

Former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks heads into UFC Fight Night 82 on Saturday with the intentions of finishing number eight-ranked Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson. read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Jose Aldo: 'I won’t accept another fight unless it’s for the belt'

Ex-UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is again defending his approach in a loss to now-champ Conor McGregor and said he’s waiting for a title shot for his next bout.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey targets Holly Holm rematch in 2016: 'That's what I want to do'

It won’t happen at UFC 200 in July, but Ronda Rousey wants her championship rematch with women’s bantamweight titleholder Holly Holm to take place before the year is out. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

California State Athletic Commission won’t pursue Alexander Shlemenko for Russia fight

Former Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko is scheduled to fight in Russia despite a three-year suspension for alleged steroid use.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC 196: Werdum vs. Velasquez 2 Extended Video Preview

Hear from UFC 196 headliners Fabricio Werdum, Cain Velasquez, Johny Hendricks, Stephen Thompson and UFC analyst Joe Rogan as they preview the fight card's big fights. read news >>

Co-headliner, ex-champ Johny Hendricks willing to move up to UFC 196 main event

It may not be the ideal main event, but former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks is willing to fight two extra rounds and move up a slot on next week’s UFC 196 fight card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Paul Bradley won't alter style to avoid fouls in Bellator 148 rematch with Honeycutt

Paul Bradley said he won’t make any fundamental changes to his tactics in order to avoid a repeat situation when he rematches Chris Honeycutt on Friday at Bellator 148.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Hendricks vs. Thompson Now Headlines UFC Fight Night on FS1 Feb. 6 in Las Vegas

UFC® announced today that its card on Saturday, Feb. 6 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas will now air live on FS1 and be headlined by a five-round welterweight bout between former read news >>