New UFC champ Johny Hendricks taking belt to bank vault, wants GSP next

• submit to reddit

johny-hendricks-georges-st-pierre-ufc-167New UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks won’t be wearing his belt around town, and he’s definitely not going to sleep with it.

Instead, he’s taking it to the bank – literally.

“I’m going to put it in a vault,” Hendricks today told MMAjunkie Radio. “It’s going to be locked away.”

Hendricks (16-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) and Robbie Lawler (22-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) drew just shy of 20,000 reported fans to watch a new champ crowned at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. In this past Saturday’s UFC 171 pay-per-view headliner, the pair fought for a belt left vacant by the semi-retirement of Georges St-Pierre.

Hendricks said he’ll celebrate his narrow win for a few more days. But very soon, the biggest reminder of his biggest accomplishment is going away until he can defend his title a couple more times.

“I want a couple more before I can be happy with the performance that I’ve given,” Hendricks said.

Of course, apart from Lawler, who lost three of five rounds on two judges’ scorecards (the final tallies were unanimously 48-47 for Hendricks), you’d be hard pressed to find someone unhappy with the heart and courage on display in the title bout. Both fighters took a tremendous amount of punishment and rallied from danger. Hendricks likely cinched the title in the final round when he landed a barrage of punches and a takedown that sent the crowd into a frenzy.

Late Saturday night, billboards around town congratulated the new champ on his victory.

Hendricks, though, isn’t satisfied by winning the belt that eluded him when St-Pierre won a controversial decision at this past November’s UFC 167 event.

“I want to remember what it felt like to get it, and I want to feel what it feels like to get the next one,” he said. “I’m still 0-0. Yeah, I was able to do something great on Saturday, but realistically, I’ve got to turn right back around and do it again if I want to stay champ. I want to get back and see how my body is doing and start moving forward.”

As for who Hendricks would like to be standing opposite him when he returns to the cage, an old familiar name is at the top of the list.

“There’s only one person I’d like to fight, and I’m pretty sure everybody knows who that is,” he said. “And that’s Georges St-Pierre. I would like to get back into the octagon with him. If that can happen, then I want that. So that’s what I’m really shooting for.”

From the look of things, Hendricks may get what he wants sooner than later. St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) remains on hiatus from the sport, but he recently hinted to reporters that his break may not be as long as he initially made it seem.

For the latest on UFC 171, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

* * * *

Check out video highlights and a recap of UFC 171:

This embed is invalid

"/>

UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks can point to one reason why he thinks a rematch with now-retired titleholder Georges St-Pierre is in the future.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle. St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile: MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter. It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for more

UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks cleared to begin training and is looking forward to working his way through the contenders in the division. With his time on the sidelines close to running out, Johny Hendricks is looking forward to getting back into the octagon to defend his title. The welterweight champion may have won the title very recently in his last octagon outing, but he believes that contest against Robbie Lawler served as his first title defense because he was robbed of the tit more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has apologized for his support of a friend who was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges. more

From Yahoo Sports: Hendricks has had plenty of time to think about Georges St-Pierre and all other comers while recovering from a bicep injury. more

Former longtime UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is now regretting writing a letter supporting Canadian drug kingpin Jimmy Cournoyer as he awaits sentencing on serious drug trafficking charges in U.S. federal court in New York. "Rush" tweeted a letter to his fans last night stating that the support he voiced to Cournoyer, which first ran in The Montreal Gazette, was "a mistake." First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake - my mistake. I will not go into details as to how and why more

Former UFC welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre receiving Tecar Therapy from Dr. Kindy Parmar under Dr. William Kessler's care. The Winback machine seen in the video is housed at Kessler Family Wellness in Southern California, and is courtesy of former UFC heavyweight, and current Bellator star, Cheick Kongo. more

UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks has Reebok. Now, Robbie Lawler, the division’s potential No. 1 contender, has Adidas. more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.Filed under: News, UFC more