johny-hendricks-georges-st-pierre-ufc-167New UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks won’t be wearing his belt around town, and he’s definitely not going to sleep with it.

Instead, he’s taking it to the bank – literally.

“I’m going to put it in a vault,” Hendricks today told MMAjunkie Radio. “It’s going to be locked away.”

Hendricks (16-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) and Robbie Lawler (22-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) drew just shy of 20,000 reported fans to watch a new champ crowned at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. In this past Saturday’s UFC 171 pay-per-view headliner, the pair fought for a belt left vacant by the semi-retirement of Georges St-Pierre.

Hendricks said he’ll celebrate his narrow win for a few more days. But very soon, the biggest reminder of his biggest accomplishment is going away until he can defend his title a couple more times.

“I want a couple more before I can be happy with the performance that I’ve given,” Hendricks said.

Of course, apart from Lawler, who lost three of five rounds on two judges’ scorecards (the final tallies were unanimously 48-47 for Hendricks), you’d be hard pressed to find someone unhappy with the heart and courage on display in the title bout. Both fighters took a tremendous amount of punishment and rallied from danger. Hendricks likely cinched the title in the final round when he landed a barrage of punches and a takedown that sent the crowd into a frenzy.

Late Saturday night, billboards around town congratulated the new champ on his victory.

Hendricks, though, isn’t satisfied by winning the belt that eluded him when St-Pierre won a controversial decision at this past November’s UFC 167 event.

“I want to remember what it felt like to get it, and I want to feel what it feels like to get the next one,” he said. “I’m still 0-0. Yeah, I was able to do something great on Saturday, but realistically, I’ve got to turn right back around and do it again if I want to stay champ. I want to get back and see how my body is doing and start moving forward.”

As for who Hendricks would like to be standing opposite him when he returns to the cage, an old familiar name is at the top of the list.

“There’s only one person I’d like to fight, and I’m pretty sure everybody knows who that is,” he said. “And that’s Georges St-Pierre. I would like to get back into the octagon with him. If that can happen, then I want that. So that’s what I’m really shooting for.”

From the look of things, Hendricks may get what he wants sooner than later. St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) remains on hiatus from the sport, but he recently hinted to reporters that his break may not be as long as he initially made it seem.

For the latest on UFC 171, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

* * * *

Check out video highlights and a recap of UFC 171:

This embed is invalid

UFC Quick Quote: Conor McGregor and Urijah Faber's paths wont cross inside the Octagon

So much for that. "I doubt it. I just don't see their career paths crossing that way. Anything is possible. Conor has a hard time making the 145-pound weight limit, and I can see him going up before read news >>

UFC 192 media conference call

At the UFC 192 media conference call, UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier, Alexander Gustafsson, Tyron Woodley and Johny Hendricks are expected to attend. The video above will begin at 2 p. read news >>

MMA Rumor Mill: Fedor Breaking the Bank, Shooting Down UFC for Pride 2.0

If the rumor mill is correct, it appears Fedor Emelianenko had a very high stack of reasons to avoid signing with the UFC and instead return to Japan. read news >>

Johny Hendricks: It's partly the fans' fault I didn't get title rematch

Ex-welterweight champion Johny Hendricks said he’s over trying to figure out the UFC’s title plans after getting snubbed for another shot at champ Robbie Lawler’s belt.Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Johny Hendricks doesn't care for another UFC title shot, should he beat Tyron Woodley

The former UFC welterweight champion says he wasted six months waiting for another title shot. Now he just wants to fight and win. In less than two weeks, former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendr read news >>

UFC 192's Johny Hendricks going back to wrestling roots, apologizes if he is no longer exciting

Will Johny Hendricks soon become the anti-Carlos Condit? After proving he can hang with the best of them on the feet on more than one occasion, Johny Hendricks is going back to what he knows best: Wr read news >>

Morning Report: Johny Hendricks 'doesn't care' if he's next for Robbie Lawler or Carlos Condit

Before Johny Hendricks beat Robbie Lawler at UFC 171 to become the welterweight champion, all he talked about was winning that world title. After losing the strap to Lawler in the rematch at UFC 181, read news >>

UFC Free Fight Flashback: Johny Hendricks One-Punch KOs Martin Kampmann

Take a look back at former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks take out Martin Kampmann at UFC 154 with a one-punch knockout. read news >>

Henry Cejudo won’t fight in Las Vegas ‘even if that means leaving the belt on the line’

In light of the extreme five-year ban the Nevada Athletic Commission handed down to Nick Diaz for testing positive for marijuana, plenty of people — fighters, fans and media — expressed their disgust read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 192's Johny Hendricks pick up third 'KO of Night' bonus in five fights

Former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks returns next week at UFC 192. Prior to his pay-per-view co-headliner, check out one of his vintage performances.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>