UFC Champion Johny HendricksNew UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks may be excited to have the belt wrapped around his waist, but it will be a while before he’ll be able to defend it.

Hendricks on The MMA Hour on Monday revealed that he had been close to pulling out of his UFC 171 title bout with Robbie Lawler due to a biceps injury, but the championship meant too much to him. He instead soldiered on and won the belt in a grueling five-round bout.

Appearing on KROQ radio in Los Angeles on Wednesday, Hendricks, according to MMAFighting.com, said that he is scheduled to have surgery on the torn biceps muscle on Monday. Granted the surgery goes as planned, he will be sidelined for four weeks, which will then be followed by another four weeks of rehabilitation.

Hendricks suffered the injury about two weeks prior to the fight with Lawler, but, as mentioned, he declined to cancel the fight.

Hendricks’ manager, Ted Ehrhardt, reportedly told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday that his fighter also suffered a hairline fracture to his left shin during the fight. He indicated a “lengthy recovery period” for the shin injury.

UFC officials have yet to name a clear No. 1 contender to Hendricks’ shiny new belt. There are several contenders – Tyron Woodley, Rory MacDonald, and Hector Lombard chief among them – so Hendricks being sidelined might provide the promotion and the fighters with the incentive to put a match-up together to declare a definite No. 1 contender.

Rory MacDonald vs. Tyron Woodley anyone?

A request for comment from Hendricks’ manager went unreturned at the time of publication.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

  • 26 days ago
  • 31 views

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 26 days ago
  • 9 views

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

UFC 196's Werdum vs. Velasquez headliner gets referee, judges

  • 26 days ago
  • 8 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today named the officials for next month’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

  • 26 days ago
  • 49 views

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

From Yahoo Sports: Ten months after a brutal loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Pettis is finally getting back in the ring. read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

  • 24 days ago
  • 3 views

From Yahoo Sports: Ten months after a brutal loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Pettis is finally getting back in the ring. read news >>

Fans invited to next month's Bellator Fan Fest with Angle, Ortiz, Couture, more

  • 23 days ago
  • 4 views

Bellator heads to Houston for next month’s “tentpole event.” Beforehand, fans can get up close and personal with some MMA legends.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Adam Stroup is Confident, but Knows He Hasn’t Even Scratched the Surface Yet

  • 23 days ago
  • 2 views

Adam Stroup is confident heading into Friday night's RFA 34 in Denver, but believes he hasn't even come close to realizing his full potential. read news >>

Francimar Barroso excited for first fight on American soil at UFC Fight Night 81

  • 23 days ago
  • 5 views

Francimar Barroso has only fought once a year since making his UFC debut in 2013. Despite the inactivity, he is sure he can show people he’s ready to fight at the top of the division.Filed under: New read news >>

Amber Leibrock Making Most of Her Pro Move Heading into Invicta FC 15

  • 22 days ago
  • 7 views

Amber Leibrock's first pro victory was a big one, and she intends to follow it up with another impressive performance at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday night. read news >>