Nevada Commission Drops the Hammer on King Mo Lawal


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

King Mo Lawal at Strikeforce
Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal‘s fate was handed down to him at a hearing held by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Monday. The hammer was dropped on the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion.

Lawal appeared before the commission to answer for a positive steroid test stemming from his Jan. 7 bout and win over Lorenz Larkin in Strikeforce.

The former champion explained to the commission that he had taken a supplement sold to him at a general fitness store, but was unaware that the ingredients could potentially lead to a positive drug test result.

The commissioners consistently pointed back at Lawal’s own responsibility to research the supplements he puts into his body, and aimed directly at the product he was taking as clearly having illegal substances in it.

The nearly 30-minute question and answer period ended with Commissioner Pat Lundvall suggesting a hefty fine, suspension and changing the win over Larkin to a no contest.

Lawal, who appeared before the commission, thanked them for their time and said he was accept whatever their final verdict happened to be.

“I appreciate you letting me come and tell my side of the story, and whatever punishment you all took for me, I’m a man, and I’ll take it like a man,” said Lawal.

The final judgment will not only cost Lawal several months of his fighting career, but a huge chunk of the money he made from the fight with Larkin back in January.

The commission voted unanimously to take Lawal’s win bonus from the fight, which was $15,000, and also fine him 30-percent of his fight purse, which equals out to $24,000. The total fines assessed against Lawal equaled $39,000 of the $95,000 he originally made.

In addition to the fines handed down, Lawal will be suspended for nine months starting retroactively from the date of the fight, which was Jan. 7, 2012.

The fight with Lorenz Larkin will also be overturned from a win to a no-contest.

Lawal will also have to complete a pre-fight drug test once his suspension is up in September, or whenever he sets forth to compete again in the state of Nevada, prior to being allowed to receive a license.

Commissioner Skip Avansino offered up words of encouragement to Lawal once the hearing was over, but also offered some stern advice regarding any supplements taken in future endeavors.

“Mr. Lawal, I’m sorry for our judgment and I think you understand how we got there. We have not distinguished your situation from others that have had similar violations of ingesting nandrolone, and many from stores similar to where you bought this. Unfortunately, a number of these items that we buy, all of us at these nutritional stores, have inappropriate banned substances in them. I don’t know how to prevent it except to suggest to all to study carefully what you take before you take it,” said Avansino.

“I’m sorry that we’ve had to give you this judgment today, we think a lot of you, you’re a champion, we know we’ll see you again.”

Lawal will now serve out his sentence that will be lifted in September 2012, and at that point he can re-apply for a license and return to action. The former Strikeforce champion also recently underwent several knee surgeries and had to deal with a nasty staph infection that caused him serious medical issues as well.

There’s been no definitive word on when he would be able to return to action regardless due to his current knee injury. For now, Lawal will be required to sit out until at least Septmber 2012 when his suspension from the Nevada Commmission is lifted.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 12 days ago
  • 30 views

In addition to a previously announced title fight, September’s Bellator 123 event has added some notable names to the fight card.Filed under: Bellator, News more

  • 12 days ago
  • 32 views

If you thought Bellator MMA was just going to roll over on Sept. 5, you better think again. Bellator MMA is not going down without a fight. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) scheduled its upcoming UFC Fight Night 50 mixed martial arts (MMA) event on FOX Sports 1 from the Foxwoods Resort & Casino in Ledyard, Conn., the same night Spike TV airs its Bellator 123 fight card at Mohegan Sun Resort & Casino in Uncasville. And both promotions are bringing their A game for the Friday night face off. T more

  • 12 days ago
  • 54 views

Bellator 123 lands at the Mohegan Sun on Sept. 5, featuring Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull Freire, King Mo Lawal, Cheick Kongo and Bobby Lashley. more

  • 12 days ago
  • 24 views

Bellator is bringing out its big guns for September 5th's unofficial battle for Connecticut. In an effort to keep pace with UFC Fight Night 50, Bellator officials announced on Wednesday that Bellator 123 will be highlighted by the returns of both Cheick Kongo and Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal, as well as the promotional debut of Bobby Lashley. As previously announced, the event is headlined by a featherweight championship rematch between Pat Curran and Patricio Freire. "I've been wanting this rematch more

  • 12 days ago
  • 21 views

Bellator MMA is going all-in for its head-to-head showdown with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Sept. 5. more

  • 29 days ago
  • 35 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has confirmed a second failed Chael Sonnen drug test. This test included failures for Human Growth Hormone and EPO. Chael Sonnen's UFC legacy may have been strong enough to survive his positive drug test in Nevada earlier this year, but tonight's news likely ends any talk that he was a "clean fighter." Sonnen had failed a February test in Nevada when the drugs Clomiphene and Anastrozole showed up in his sample. Those were, Sonnen claimed, used to help his bod more

  • 25 days ago
  • 36 views

"The Hammer" is headed back to the toolbox ... this time for good. Matt Hamill's retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA) ... take two. The longtime Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veteran, who cut his teeth on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) and gave Michael Bisping his first big rivalry, is calling it quits after a nagging injury has prevented him from getting back inside the cage. From his official Facebook page: "First and foremost, I would like to thank my most loyal fans fo more

  • 20 days ago
  • 47 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) is moving forward with its actions against retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen. According to a report from MMAJunkie.com, the UFC's home governing body is waiting to find out if the former light heavyweight and middleweight contender will appeal its ruling. The NSAC sent Sonnen its complaint on June 27. Per the commission's regulations, Sonnen has up to 20 days (which, in this case, would be up until July 17) to respond. From there, he would either accept more

  • 19 days ago
  • 31 views

Chael Sonnen has officially responded to the Nevada Athletic Commission's amended complaint against him. According to the complaint, which was first obtained by MMAJunkie.com, Sonnen faces a fine of up to $250,000, the suspension of his license, the requirement to provide a clean drug test should he apply for a license again and expenses related to the complaint after recently failing a second drug test for four banned substances. On Tuesday, Sonnen's lawyer Jeff Meyer submitted his client's for more