Veteran heavyweight Neil Grove may have lost his last three fights, but the 41-year-old is nonetheless staying positive ahead of his UCMMA 31 interim title bout against Tomasz Czerwinski.

Grove, who was last seen suffering an April knockout to athletic prospect Todd Duffee, says he has regrouped from the challenging stretch and has worked diligently to improve his defense.

“I believe, if I felt I got truly beaten, I would’ve retired,” Grove tells Sherdog.com. “One of my fights I left up to the judges -- my mistake. And twice after, I dropped my guard -- rookie mistakes I have worked really hard [to correct] in the last six to seven months.”

UCMMA 31, which takes place Dec. 1 at the Troxy in London, was initially supposed to be topped by a championship collision between former champ Grove and reigning belt-holder Darren Towler. However, Towler was forced to withdraw from the booking due to injury, forcing promoter Dave O’Donnell to book Czerwinski as a replacement and change the bout to an interim title tilt.

“Of course I was disappointed [about Towler’s injury], but it’s the way the cookie crumbles,” Grove says. “Thanks to Dave O’Donnell, [we have] a replacement in big Tomasz. He’s huge. I will have to make sure to be faster on my feet to avoid the bombs he is going to throw my way.”

A former super heavyweight, Czerwinski last competed on July 1, when he knocked out previously unbeaten Kevin Camp in just 85 seconds to win the Cage Fighters Championship interim heavyweight title. Grove believes that Czerwinski, a fighter known mostly for his power, will be gunning for a quick knockout come Saturday night. Even so, the 41-year-old says he has taken nothing for granted ahead of his confrontation with the massive Pole.

“It might be a ‘W’ for me or the scalp of his career for him, so expect it to be technical and fast paced,” says Grove. “[There will be] loads of strategy in this one. I'm more experienced and will have the crowd behind me, and my guard has changed. I want to see if I can handle his punch.”

Though Grove is currently focused on navigating the challenge presented by Czerwinski, the veteran has also set goals for himself beyond winning the interim title bout.

“[I want] to win my next nine fights, train hard, eat healthy and stay uninjured,” Grove says. “I would love to fight in America again, and at least once in Toronto, too. They love MMA over there.”

Ogikubo carries hopes of a nation into Ultimate Fighter

Japan has had an impressive history in the Octagon. Yet the one thing missing from that history is a UFC championship. Hiromasa Ogikubo would like to change that, and he has the opportunity to do so read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Faces Jorge Masvidal at the TUF: Latin America 3 Finale

Fifth-ranked 170-pound contender Kelvin Gastelum faces battle-tested veteran Jorge Masvidal at The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 3 Finale in Mexico City. read news >>

Improved Elliott hopes Ultimate Fighter gives him 2nd UFC chance

Former UFC fighter Tim Elliott has made many changes to his life, personally and professionally, since his last Octagon visit. Now, he hopes a chance in The Ultimate Fighter leads to a UFC return and read news >>

Dan Henderson: ‘Win or Lose This is My Last Fight’ (UFC 204 Video)

Dan Henderson hopes to add the UFC middleweight championship to his collection at UFC 204. But win or lose, he intends to walk off into the sunset. read news >>

Kyle O’Reilly Embraces the Convergence of Pro Wrestling and MMA

Heading into his match with UFC veteran Matt Riddle, Kyle O'Reilly embraces the convergence of pro wrestling and MMA. read news >>

Homeless Man Writes Joanne Calderwood a Thank You Note After UFC 203 Experience

Joanne Calderwood competed, and lost, on the UFC 203 card in Cleveland, but good-hearted people will always come out on top. Calderwood posted to her Facebook and Instagram accounts Sunday afternoon read news >>

Homeless Man Writes Joanne Calderwood a Thank You Note After UFC 203 Experience

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

UFC Adds Veteran MMA Executive Mick Maynard, Promotes Sean Shelby

UFC announced today the hiring of Mick Maynard as Vice President of Talent Relations. Maynard was president and owner of Houston-based Legacy Fighting Championship, an organization that helped launch read news >>

Barao looking to use home advantage Saturday

Renan Barao will fight Phillipe Nover in Brazil on Saturday, where he has not lost since 2005. The two will meet in the co-main event of Fight Night Brasilia on FS1. read news >>