Nearing New Strikeforce Deal, Cris ‘Cyborg’ Eyes Fall Return

A few months ago, as Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos’ hiatus from fighting neared the one-year mark, rumors emerged that female MMA’s top 145-pounder could begin using her wrestling skills not for double-leg takedowns, but for piledrivers and chokeslams in the ring of World Wrestling Entertainment.

“I like the WWE. If they had an opportunity for me, I’d do it,” Santos commented to Sherdog.com.

When her contract with Strikeforce ran out, Santos was forced to seek employment elsewhere, especially as negotiations with the fight promotion stalled and dragged on.

Rumors of a possible jump to pro-wrestling intensified when Cyborg and husband Evangelista Santos attended a February WWE event in California. According to Brazilian website Tatame.com, Santos was in negotiations to join WWE, but a champion’s clause in her Strikeforce contract -- which did not technically expire until June 2011 -- would have prevented her from actually stepping into the ring. Soon after this report, WWE officials denied that any negotiations had taken place with Santos.

Ultimately, Santos says her main focus was always on MMA, and that WWE was simply a backup plan.

“I was interested in doing [more than one event] with the WWE, but now I’m fighting again, so I’m going to do that,” said Santos.

“Since my last fight was finished, I’ve been trying to work on a new contract [with Strikeforce]. It’s almost done, almost done,” she added, smiling.
BR> Santos' current Strikeforce deal lapses in December.

Santos had no immediate word as to who she will meet upon her return, but in her absence, Cyborg has been keeping her skills sharp in hopes of meeting a worthy challenger for her Strikeforce 145-pound strap. In June, the Brazilian competed in the World Jiu-Jitsu Championships and defeated Amanda Lucas to win the purple belt heavyweight final.

“I’ve been training everything: muay Thai, more jiu-jitsu, boxing, everything. I’ve been getting ready for the next fight, even without a contract,” said Santos. “I’m training for a fight, hopefully in September or October.”

MMA for effort? Former Strikeforce featherweight champion Cristiane Justino has canceled her drop to the bantamweight division, instead opting to remain at 145 pounds when she returns to the cage thi read news >>

Anybody who has seen Cristiane Justino fight live or on television knows one thing: from the moment the referee gives the green light, "Cyborg" is a full-throttle fighter who never lets off the gas. read news >>

Cris Cyborg would have been making her bantamweight debut at Invicta FC 10 on Friday, but an ankle injury forced her off the Dec. 5 card. For her next bout, she will be competing at 145 pounds. Cybor read news >>

We may need to resort to Plan B. When Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino was spotted at the UFC on FOX 13 event last Saturday night (Dec. 13, 2014), the mixed martial arts (MMA) comm read news >>

Cris Cyborg will not cut down to 135 pounds after all. Two and a half months after announcing her decision to drop to the bantamweight division for a bout at Invicta FC 10, the first and only Strikef read news >>

Cris Cyborg responds to Ronda Rousey's comments about wanting to "try to kill her with my bare hands" and answers a few questions about her recovery and time off. Monday afternoon, immediately follow read news >>

Die, 'Borg. I get the feeling that Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey isn't a fan of Cristiane Justino, who like the "Rowdy" judoka, cut her teeth in t read news >>

Invicta FC women's featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino found Ronda Rousey's most recent call-out quite amusing, despite the "Rowdy" one saying she would "kill her with my bare hands." T read news >>

It didn’t take Olympic judoka Rick Hawn long to find a new MMA promotion to call home. read news >>

Jump to: