Nearing New Strikeforce Deal, Cris ‘Cyborg’ Eyes Fall Return

A few months ago, as Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos’ hiatus from fighting neared the one-year mark, rumors emerged that female MMA’s top 145-pounder could begin using her wrestling skills not for double-leg takedowns, but for piledrivers and chokeslams in the ring of World Wrestling Entertainment.

“I like the WWE. If they had an opportunity for me, I’d do it,” Santos commented to Sherdog.com.

When her contract with Strikeforce ran out, Santos was forced to seek employment elsewhere, especially as negotiations with the fight promotion stalled and dragged on.

Rumors of a possible jump to pro-wrestling intensified when Cyborg and husband Evangelista Santos attended a February WWE event in California. According to Brazilian website Tatame.com, Santos was in negotiations to join WWE, but a champion’s clause in her Strikeforce contract -- which did not technically expire until June 2011 -- would have prevented her from actually stepping into the ring. Soon after this report, WWE officials denied that any negotiations had taken place with Santos.

Ultimately, Santos says her main focus was always on MMA, and that WWE was simply a backup plan.

“I was interested in doing [more than one event] with the WWE, but now I’m fighting again, so I’m going to do that,” said Santos.

“Since my last fight was finished, I’ve been trying to work on a new contract [with Strikeforce]. It’s almost done, almost done,” she added, smiling.
BR> Santos' current Strikeforce deal lapses in December.

Santos had no immediate word as to who she will meet upon her return, but in her absence, Cyborg has been keeping her skills sharp in hopes of meeting a worthy challenger for her Strikeforce 145-pound strap. In June, the Brazilian competed in the World Jiu-Jitsu Championships and defeated Amanda Lucas to win the purple belt heavyweight final.

“I’ve been training everything: muay Thai, more jiu-jitsu, boxing, everything. I’ve been getting ready for the next fight, even without a contract,” said Santos. “I’m training for a fight, hopefully in September or October.”

Nick Diaz has signed a contract to return to the UFC. The former Strikeforce welterweight champion sign the deal Thursday at UFC headquarters and is eyeing a 2015 return. read news >>

Stipe Miocic still wants to fight Junior dos Santos, and that feeling is mutual. Former UFC champion "Cigano" hasn’t fought since his third bout with heavyweight kingpin Cain Velasquez in October, an read news >>

"Cigano" believes Overeem and Barnett called him out just to promote their names; says he's up to fight Stipe Miocic. Junior dos Santos, who was recently called out to fight Alistair Overeem and Josh read news >>

Admit it, the UFC heavyweight division just isn't the same without "Cigano" knocking people out every three months. We miss you! Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight titleholder Ju read news >>

If and when the Ultimate Fighting Championship adopts a uniform policy for its athletes, bantamweight queen Ronda Rousey is likely to be at the forefront of such a deal. read news >>

With his fighting status in limbo, Wanderlei Silva remains hopeful he'll get a chance to settle up with Chael Sonnen in the Octagon. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his susp read news >>

The Ultimate Fighting Championship officially announced the return of two of its biggest superstars on Tuesday with the news that Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz will square off at UFC 183. read news >>

Nick Diaz will soon return from a near-two-year hiatus from the sport, but don't expect to see a special glimmer in his eye. Diaz says there's still no joy in cagefighting, but if he's going to do it read news >>

Nick Diaz’s un-retirement is only one day old, and already the onetime welterweight title challenger and Stockton native son is casting a wide net on future opportunities. Filed under: MMA Rumors, Ne read news >>