Nate Marquardt Sick of Questions about TRT, Wants to Focus on Strikeforce Title Fight


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit


Nate Marquardt has had one of the longest years a professional athlete could endure.

Sure, a lot of the turmoil that Marquardt has undergone over the last 12 months is self inflicted after his treatments for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) caused a spike in his testosterone levels prior to his scheduled fight at UFC on Versus 4 last June, and he was subsequently pulled from the fight by the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission.

Moments after that, Marquardt was released from his UFC contract.

At the time, UFC president Dana White was adamant that Marquardt would never fight in the UFC again.

Marquardt then took to the airwaves to explain the treatments that he had been undergoing to help some vicious mood swings, as well as his body not reacting the same way in training as it had done for years, and the need for TRT.

Fast forward to almost exactly one year past the date where he was released from the UFC and Marquardt is back in the good graces of the owners at Zuffa, although this time he’s fighting under the Strikeforce banner instead.

During the year off, Marquardt was never able to take a fight, but he was able to curb himself away from the controversial TRT treatments, and according to the Colorado fighter he’s adjusting to life without the therapy he needed to get by just over a year ago.

“It’s been challenging, I’ve had to find a lot of ways to combat it and I’ve had to change my training schedule, but bottom line is I’m training hard, I feel great. I’ve felt like this before in training and done awesome,” said Marquardt during a media conference call recently.

Unfortunately for Marquardt, he was one of the first fighters to come out and openly admit use of the TRT, so his name has become synonymous with the controversial treatment.

He also admitted recently that he has stopped using TRT, and so the questions still come at him about how his body is reacting a year after he said he so desperately needed the treatments to combat fatigue and other issues he was having at the time.

The subject remains a sore one for Marquardt, however, as he just wants to move on and focus only on the matter at hand and that’s his welterweight title shot against Tyron Woodley in Strikeforce on July 14.

“I really want to just move past that point in my life. I’m so sick of answering TRT questions to be honest. You’d think the media would want to talk about something new anyways, it’s kind of like old news,” Marquardt said.

“I’ve got a title fight coming up and I feel great and that’s the bottom line.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 33 views

LAS VEGAS – Check out the full media scrum with UFC 175 women’s bantamweight challenger Alexis Davis from Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

  • 28 days ago
  • 44 views

After an action-packed UFC Fight Night 43 event over the weekend (Sat., June 28, 2014) in Auckland, New Zealand, plenty of fighters are still feeling the buzz; however, James Te Huna is likely suffering from the worst post-fight hangover after getting submitted by Nate Marquardt in round one, losing his third straight fight. Another weekend of fisticuffs has come and gone as Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) once again double-dipped, staging two events on the same day (Sat., June 28, 2014) in more

  • 28 days ago
  • 35 views

Get the scoop on the world’s top strawweight, the upcoming fight for the world’s top bantamweight and much more in the latest Women’s MMA Report.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF more

  • 28 days ago
  • 38 views

Get the scoop on the world’s top strawweight, the upcoming fight for the world’s top bantamweight and much more in the latest Women’s MMA Report.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF more

  • 28 days ago
  • 36 views

Undefeated Brazilian prospect Leonardo Leite has signed a deal with Legacy FC, and he will debut in a title fight. Unbeaten in MMA, the jiu-jitsu and judo specialist will make his promotional debut in a five-round fight against Myron Dennis in September, Legacy FC promoter Mick Maynard confirmed to MMAFighting.com on Monday. The light heavyweight showdown will headline the Legacy FC 35 card in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Brazilian Top Team product Leite made his transition to MMA in 2013 with a first-round more

  • 27 days ago
  • 23 views

WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje previews his NBC-televised title fight against Nick Newell on Saturday. more

  • 27 days ago
  • 52 views

Road FC 16 is set for the South Korean city of Gumi on July 26 and will be headlined by a flyweight title fight with Nam Jin Jo and Song Min Jong competing for the inaugural 125-pound belt. more

  • 26 days ago
  • 37 views

Nate Marquardt closed out Saturday's UFC event in Auckland, New Zealand with a submission win over James Te Huna. However, the former middleweight title challenger still fell short of scoring the most impressive submission of the weekend. That honor went to Charles Oliveira, who locked up an anaconda choke against Hatsu Hioki. While we have seen anaconda chokes executed previously inside the Octagon, nobody had ever forced the Japanese featherweight to tap. For that reason alone, Oliveira's win more

  • 26 days ago
  • 38 views

Chad Mendes will have to wait a little longer to get his second shot at the UFC title. UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has suffered an injury that will force him out of his seventh UFC title defense on August 2 in Los Angeles, California, against the Alpha Male product, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported on Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight on FOX Sports 1. UFC president Dana White confirmed the news, but there’s no word yet on a new main event for UFC 176. Mendes earned his second U more