Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje

With highlight reel slams and a pedigree that includes three state championships and All-American status as a collegiate wrestler, expectations are high for Colorado lightweight Justin Gaethje.

“It feels real good,” said Gaethje. “It gives me inspiration to work hard and hopefully live up to the potential that they put up there.”

In eight total fights, Gaethje is undefeated, including a 61-second destruction of Kevin Croom at Ring of Fire 41 on Aug. 20.

The transition to successful MMA fighter from wrestler has been something Gaethje has been looking forward to as he finishes up his career at the University of Northern Colorado this year.

“I kind of look at MMA as a different sport; I have new goals that I want to do with that,” he said. “I wrestled for such a long time that I’m ready to move on to different things.

“I’ve been working on my boxing down at the Grudge (Training Center) and am trying to become an all-around fighter and take the fight wherever it goes.”

Working with the likes of UFC veterans Nate Marquardt, Duane “Bang” Ludwig, and Eliot Marshall, Gaethje has had no choice but quickly adapt or be left behind with the level of talent at Grudge.

“They don’t mess around down there,” said Gaethje. “They get after it, and if I’m not at the top of my game, they make me pay for it there.”

Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje

One area that’s understandably been the hardest for Gaethje to adapt to in MMA is the stand-up game.

“It’s actually really hard transitioning from wrestling to boxing because the stances are so much different and you have to keep your weight distributed differently,” he said. “It’s just really hard to get used to, and that’s my biggest problem.”

Still, Gaethje’s background allows him to get out of trouble when needed.

“I feel that my wrestling really helps me control a lot of positions,” he said. “Even when I’m not comfortable on my feet, I can get to the clinch and at least get comfortable enough to control the fight there.

“A lot of guys who have never worked the clinch don’t really know what to do with their hips. Being a wrestler, I just like to throw people.”

With an upcoming fight in October, and a return invitation to participate in Ring of Fire’s year end show, Gaethje is on the fast track towards big things, and he doesn’t plan on backing down any time soon.

“I just want to keep fighting and hopefully knocking people out,” he said. “I just love competing and whatever comes, comes. It doesn’t matter who they want me to fight, I’m always ready to fight and I’m you’re never going to get a dull fight from me.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

With more fights on WSOF deal, Justin Gaethje not yet thinking about UFC move

After his most recent victory, WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje made it known that he wanted a fight with Jason High. It turned out High wasn’t available for Gaethje, but that’s no big deal t read news >>

Champ Miesha Tate Justifies Why Amanda Nunes Received UFC Title Shot

There was a long list of names that could have faced UFC champion Miesha Tate in her first title defense, so why did Amanda Nunes receive the call? read news >>

Brian Rogers Plans to Unleash the Predator on Italy at Bellator 152

Back on track, Brian Rogers plans to unleash the Predator on Italy, when he faces Alessio Sakara this week at Bellator 152. read news >>

Dan Henderson says he heard Lyoto Machida might not pass UFC on FOX 19 drug test

TAMPA, Fla. – Veteran UFC contender Dan Henderson was getting ready to shoot a pre-fight interview for his UFC on FOX 19 bout when he received a call from UFC President Dana White.Filed under: News read news >>

The Speed Bag: Fighters can learn from Lyoto Machida's USADA issues

Lyoto Machida, one of the most decorated names in UFC light heavyweight history, earned the kind of asterisk that may haunt him the rest of his life when he admitted use of a banned substance and was read news >>

Human Highlight Reel: Bellator Star Michael Page Is Looking to Change the Game

Mixed martial arts inspires the unbelievable. Being locked in a cage with another martial arts master forces a level of concentration, willpower and mental dexterity that is incomparable. The improba read news >>

Conor McGregor Announces He's Not Retired, Ready for UFC 200

Just days after suggesting he was ready to hang up his gloves, Ultimate Fighting Championship featherweight champion Conor McGregor has announced he has not retired. In a lengthy post published to hi read news >>

Conor McGregor Fires Another Shot Across the Bow: #YourMove

The power struggle between Conor McGregor and the UFC continues. read news >>

MMA helps Cody East win his fight

Cody East used MMA to get his life on track, and now MMA is giving him a big chance. After appearing on 'Dana White: Lookin' for a Fight," East gets his big shot at UFC 197 read news >>

Conor McGregor Fires Back at Dana White's Comments at UFC 200 Presser

The press conference that the world has been waiting for. With UFC 197 just a day away, the UFC wanted to whet fans' appetites for UFC 200 with a press conference featuring the headliners for all thr read news >>