Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje

With highlight reel slams and a pedigree that includes three state championships and All-American status as a collegiate wrestler, expectations are high for Colorado lightweight Justin Gaethje.

“It feels real good,” said Gaethje. “It gives me inspiration to work hard and hopefully live up to the potential that they put up there.”

In eight total fights, Gaethje is undefeated, including a 61-second destruction of Kevin Croom at Ring of Fire 41 on Aug. 20.

The transition to successful MMA fighter from wrestler has been something Gaethje has been looking forward to as he finishes up his career at the University of Northern Colorado this year.

“I kind of look at MMA as a different sport; I have new goals that I want to do with that,” he said. “I wrestled for such a long time that I’m ready to move on to different things.

“I’ve been working on my boxing down at the Grudge (Training Center) and am trying to become an all-around fighter and take the fight wherever it goes.”

Working with the likes of UFC veterans Nate Marquardt, Duane “Bang” Ludwig, and Eliot Marshall, Gaethje has had no choice but quickly adapt or be left behind with the level of talent at Grudge.

“They don’t mess around down there,” said Gaethje. “They get after it, and if I’m not at the top of my game, they make me pay for it there.”

Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje

One area that’s understandably been the hardest for Gaethje to adapt to in MMA is the stand-up game.

“It’s actually really hard transitioning from wrestling to boxing because the stances are so much different and you have to keep your weight distributed differently,” he said. “It’s just really hard to get used to, and that’s my biggest problem.”

Still, Gaethje’s background allows him to get out of trouble when needed.

“I feel that my wrestling really helps me control a lot of positions,” he said. “Even when I’m not comfortable on my feet, I can get to the clinch and at least get comfortable enough to control the fight there.

“A lot of guys who have never worked the clinch don’t really know what to do with their hips. Being a wrestler, I just like to throw people.”

With an upcoming fight in October, and a return invitation to participate in Ring of Fire’s year end show, Gaethje is on the fast track towards big things, and he doesn’t plan on backing down any time soon.

“I just want to keep fighting and hopefully knocking people out,” he said. “I just love competing and whatever comes, comes. It doesn’t matter who they want me to fight, I’m always ready to fight and I’m you’re never going to get a dull fight from me.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Patricio Freire fires back at Will Brooks: ‘He will slap me, and then eat four punches’

Bellator’s featherweight and lightweight champions are set to defend their belts a Bellator 145 on Nov. 6, but it looks like the promotion could use a little extra security to keep them away from eac read news >>

Miesha Tate 'shocked' when she heard Holm was fighting Rousey next

UFC women's bantamweight contender Miesha Tate made her first public comments following Friday morning's news that Holly Holm was set to fight Ronda Rousey in January. When Miesha Tate defeated Jessi read news >>

Michael Page and Brennan Ward join Bellator 144 fight card

October’s Bellator 144 fight card just added two notable names: Michael Page and Brennan Ward.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bethe Correia fires back at Gene LeBell’s comments, wants rematch with Ronda Rousey in 2016

Ronda Rousey's mentor, "Judo" Gene LeBell said the UFC star isn’t completely happy with the way she beat Bethe Correia at UFC 190, and the Brazilian bantamweight didn’t like his recent comments. Spea read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio today moves to SiriusXM 93 with guests Daniel Cormier, Will Brooks

Beginning today, MMAjunkie Radio can be heard on a new SiriusXM channel – Rush 93 – with a new start time of 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT). Today’s guests include a pair of champs: Daniel Cormier and Will B read news >>

Fabio Maldonado lists ideal opponents for next UFC fight

Light heavyweight brawler Fabio Maldonado wants to get back on track, and he’s willing to fight anyone in the top 15 in his next UFC fight. The Brazilian fighter, who lost via decision to former cham read news >>

Joe Rogan: Majority of UFC fighters are smoking marijuana

You've heard about fighters with chronic injuries, but how about just the chronic? UFC color commentator Joe Rogan, an open smoker and supporter of marijuana, took to his podcast (h/t Bloody Elbow) r read news >>

UFC Heavyweight Champ Fabricio Werdum’s First Defense? Cain Velasquez

While other names were bandied about, it appears that UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum's first title defense will be an immediate rematch. read news >>

Andre Pederneiras fires back at Brendan Schaub, wants Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor drug tested at least 36 times before

UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub doesn’t think Brazilian fighters are "doing well right now since the drug testing came out", citing Renan Barao’s recent loss to T.J. Dillashaw in July, and pissed off read news >>

UFC fires back at Floyd Mayweather with video of Ronda Rousey ragdolling contenders

Somebody get that Chris Tucker .gif from "Friday" or fire up a Kelso clip from "That '70s Show "because Floyd Mayweather just got BURNED. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) took a dig at the boxing read news >>