Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje

With highlight reel slams and a pedigree that includes three state championships and All-American status as a collegiate wrestler, expectations are high for Colorado lightweight Justin Gaethje.

“It feels real good,” said Gaethje. “It gives me inspiration to work hard and hopefully live up to the potential that they put up there.”

In eight total fights, Gaethje is undefeated, including a 61-second destruction of Kevin Croom at Ring of Fire 41 on Aug. 20.

The transition to successful MMA fighter from wrestler has been something Gaethje has been looking forward to as he finishes up his career at the University of Northern Colorado this year.

“I kind of look at MMA as a different sport; I have new goals that I want to do with that,” he said. “I wrestled for such a long time that I’m ready to move on to different things.

“I’ve been working on my boxing down at the Grudge (Training Center) and am trying to become an all-around fighter and take the fight wherever it goes.”

Working with the likes of UFC veterans Nate Marquardt, Duane “Bang” Ludwig, and Eliot Marshall, Gaethje has had no choice but quickly adapt or be left behind with the level of talent at Grudge.

“They don’t mess around down there,” said Gaethje. “They get after it, and if I’m not at the top of my game, they make me pay for it there.”

Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje

One area that’s understandably been the hardest for Gaethje to adapt to in MMA is the stand-up game.

“It’s actually really hard transitioning from wrestling to boxing because the stances are so much different and you have to keep your weight distributed differently,” he said. “It’s just really hard to get used to, and that’s my biggest problem.”

Still, Gaethje’s background allows him to get out of trouble when needed.

“I feel that my wrestling really helps me control a lot of positions,” he said. “Even when I’m not comfortable on my feet, I can get to the clinch and at least get comfortable enough to control the fight there.

“A lot of guys who have never worked the clinch don’t really know what to do with their hips. Being a wrestler, I just like to throw people.”

With an upcoming fight in October, and a return invitation to participate in Ring of Fire’s year end show, Gaethje is on the fast track towards big things, and he doesn’t plan on backing down any time soon.

“I just want to keep fighting and hopefully knocking people out,” he said. “I just love competing and whatever comes, comes. It doesn’t matter who they want me to fight, I’m always ready to fight and I’m you’re never going to get a dull fight from me.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The Speed Bag: Think about what you're doing to 'Cowboy' Cerrone

By now, you may have heard the story about Donald Cerrone getting punched in the mouth in a Whole Foods parking lot. Ben Fowlkes wonders if “Cowboy” did the right thing walking away.Filed under: Feat read news >>

Ronda Rousey fires back over Bethe Correia's 'suicide' comments

UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey didn't appreciate Bethe Correia's recent remarks.Correia told Combate the following during a recent interview."Ronda talks about being a superwoman, a hero, but read news >>

WSOF champ Justin Gaethje wants to work with at-risk youth when he retires

WSOF lightweight champ Justin Gaethje can’t really gage the impact of his most recent fight, a barnburner with Luis Palomino that ended in his third title defense at March’s WSOF 19. The most he can read news >>

UFC 189's Conor McGregor says Jose Aldo camp 'done with the game' after recent retirement announcement

One last job, one week from retirement. However you phrase it, flags raise. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo will reportedly make an unspecified announcement foll read news >>

Daniel Cormier: 'Jon Jones took himself out of the game,' draws comparison to NBA-less Michael Jordan

While Jon Jones continues to "soul search" in the wake of his latest legal fiasco, which cost him his Light Heavyweight title and ability to compete for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), Daniel C read news >>

Ben Nguyen: Not Your Typical UFC Debut Story

If you never heard of Ben Nguyen before March 8, 2014, you probably didn’t think that his fight against Julian Rabaud was going to go too well for him. Now tattoos never won a fight, but you figure t read news >>

Bellator 137 winner Fernando Gonzalez wants biggest names in welterweight division

TEMECULA, Calif. – Fernando Gonzalez believes his four-fight Bellator MMA winning streak should be enough to earn a welterweight title shot. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Daniel Cormier finds notion he doesn't deserve another title shot 'very disrespectful'

Daniel Cormier heard the naysayers after the announcement he would step in and meet Anthony Johnson for the vacant light heavyweight title in the main event of UFC 187. The haters claimed that becaus read news >>

Jessica Aguilar fires back at Carla Esparza: 'Sorry you keep losing to better fighters'

The week before Jessica Aguilar announced her split from World Series of Fighting, former UFC champion Carla Esparza gave Aguilar a mighty compelling reason to seek free agency. Largely unprovoked, E read news >>

UFC Fight Night 65 results: Sean O'Connell blasts Anthony Perosh in less than one minute

Anthony Perosh doesn't hang out inside the Octagon very long, with four first round victories under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) umbrella. Tonight (Sat., May 9, 2015), Sean O'Connell flip read news >>