NSAC Revises Complaint Against Chael Sonnen After Failing Drug Test for HGH, EPO

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) is moving forward with its actions against retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen. According to a report from MMAJunkie.com, the UFC's home governing body is waiting to find out if the former light heavyweight and middleweight contender will appeal its ruling.

The NSAC sent Sonnen its complaint on June 27. Per the commission's regulations, Sonnen has up to 20 days (which, in this case, would be up until July 17) to respond. From there, he would either accept whatever punishment it decides upon (which includes up to a $250,000 fine, the suspension of his license and extensive drug testing ahead of his relicensure, should he ever decide to return to mixed martial arts in the United States) or appeal the ruling and appear before the commission later this year.

Do you want to see Sonnen make a return to MMA?

You can check out a redacted version of the full complaint here (h/t MMAJunkie.com). Worth noting is that the documents include email correspondences between Sonnen and the NSAC, where he admits to using anastrozole, clomiphene and hCG

For those who somehow missed it, Sonnen failed two drug tests in as many weeks ahead of his previously scheduled bout with Vitor Belfort at UFC 175. On June 10, it was revealed he had failed a NSAC drug test after his sample was flagged for anastrozole and clomiphene as well as his admission to also using hCG. The drugs are banned out of competition due to their usefulness in restarting the body's ability to produce testosterone after steroid use.

While some fans and media were willing to look the other way on this due to Sonnen's known use of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), which was effectively doctor-approved steroid use, it was announced by MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani on June 28 that Sonnen failed a second test for four banned substances, including human growth hormone and human erythropoietin

In the time since, Sonnen lost his position as a Fox Sports analyst and has been laying low. He is yet to make an official statement on his failed drug test. According to guerrilla reporter, friend of Sonnen and Twitter personality FrontRowBrian, he will make a statement July 23:

Sonnen retired on June 11, shortly after his first failed drug test but before the second came to light. In spite of that, he phoned in to a NSAC hearing regarding his forthcoming suspension on June 18. Depending on how he handles this complaint from the NSAC, it is possible we may see Sonnen posturing for a return to MMA in 2015.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Nevada to Require All Fighters to Partake in Brain Health Testing

  • 28 days ago
  • 11 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission will require all fighters in Nevada to partake in regular brain health testing, making it the first sport to track brain fitness. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor’s Coach is Undermining His UFC Power Play

  • 26 days ago
  • 359 views

Chael Sonnen says he laid out the blueprint for Conor McGregor to follow, but McGregor's coach is undermining his UFC power play. read news >>

Kimbo Slice Negotiates Steroid Settlement for Failed Drug Test in Texas

  • 22 days ago
  • 21 views

Kimbo Slice and his camp negotiated a lesser punishment with Texas for his Bellator 149 drug test that revealed steroids in his system. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Weighs in on Kevin Costner’s Desire for Olympic MMA

  • 21 days ago
  • 35 views

On this episode of Beyond the Fight, Chael Sonnen weighs in on award winning actor Kevin Costner's desire to see mixed martial arts in the Olympics. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: People Throwing Away the Idea of McGregor vs. Mayweather Are Wrong

  • 8 days ago
  • 97 views

Chael Sonnen says that those who dismiss a Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather fight altogether are wrong, and explains how the fight could come together. read news >>

Pat Curran Taking it One Fight at a Time After Moving His Camp to Blackzilians

  • 8 days ago
  • 7 views

Looking to jumpstart his career with a move to the Blackzilians camp in Florida, former Bellator champ Pat Curran is taking things one fight at a time. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Turns Promoter, Launches “Submission Underground” Grappling Event

  • 5 days ago
  • 8 views

The news was announced on Wednesday that former UFC contender Chael Sonnen has turned to promoting. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: ‘He Said Yes; That’s What Separates the Michael Bispings From the Rest’

  • a day ago
  • 367 views

You can say whatever you want about the UFC turning to Michael Bisping to fight Luke Rockhold at UFC 199. Chael Sonnen certainly doesn't care what you think. read news >>

The Comeback: Would ya believe there's McGregor news? Plus, teammate retires

  • 28 days ago
  • 374 views

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMA junkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Monday’s biggest headlines, catch up with “The Comeback.”Filed under: Bella read news >>