Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed Lawal tested positive for the steroid Drostanolone in his most recent bout, the Nevada State Athletic Commission disclosed on Tuesday.

Lawal, better known by the ring name “King Mo,” scored a second-round knockout of previously unbeaten Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce “Rockhold vs. Jardine,” which took place Jan. 7 at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas. While the win seems likely to be overturned, NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer says no ruling has been made on the issue at this time.

“The matter has been referred to the Attorney General’s office for issuance of a complaint for disciplinary action,” Kizer stated when reached for comment by Sherdog.com.

Contacted for comment shortly after the NSAC disclosed the test results, Lawal’s manager, Mike Kogan, repeatedly stressed that Lawal is unfamiliar with the substance for which he reportedly tested positive.

“He doesn’t even know what [Drostanolone] is,” Kogan told Sherdog.com.

Drostanolone, also known as Drolban, is an anabolic steroid popular in the bodybuilding community and commonly used for weight-cutting. Sold under the trade name Masteron, it is also used in the treatment of certain forms of breast cancer.

A former NCAA Division II wrestling champion, 31-year-old Lawal has compiled a 9-1 record in MMA after debuting in 2008 with a shocking upset of 60-fight veteran Travis Wiuff. The Tennessee native, who recently joined the renowned American Kickboxing Academy, has knocked out Larkin and Roger Gracie since dropping his Strikeforce belt to Rafael Cavalcante in 2010.

All other fighters from the Jan. 7 Strikeforce event, including middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and challenger Keith Jardine, tested negative for prohibited substances.

This item was updated at 1:41 p.m. ET to include a quote from Lawal’s management. Mike Whitman contributed to this story.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Anderson Silva Plans to be Back Next Year and Fight for Five More Years

  • 22 days ago
  • 7 views

Following positive drug tests at UFC 183, former middleweight champion Anderson Silva plans to be back in 2016 and expects to compete for another five years. read news >>

All drug test results from UFC 185 return negative

  • 19 days ago
  • 12 views

There were no positive tests for illegal substances from UFC 185. MMAFighting.com obtained copies of the results from drug tests administered after UFC 185 on March 14 in Dallas and none of the 24 fi read news >>

UFN 62’s Jorge Oliveira tests positive for stanozolol, suspended for one year

  • 9 days ago
  • 1581 views

The Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) announced earlier this week that all fighters who competed at the UFC Fight Night 62 event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on March 21, tested clean for bann read news >>

UFC fighter Jorge Oliveira tests positive for stanozolol after UFC Fight Night 62

  • 9 days ago
  • 0 views

Jorge Oliveira has been suspended for a year by CABMMA after a positive test for PEDs. It appears that someone did pop for a banned substance on the UFC Fight Night 62 card after all. The Brazilian M read news >>

NSAC drops Sho-hammer on Hector Lombard, suspends UFC welterweight for one year

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight Hector Lombard was fined $53,000 -- plus 33 percent of his "show" purse (also $53,000) -- after failing his UFC 182 drug test, as part of his punishm read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: Ryan Couture, son of a UFC legend, looks to make his own name in MMA

  • 26 days ago
  • 10 views

Former Strikeforce and UFC fighter Ryan Couture is currently working his way up Bellator's lightweight rankings after a successful debut last September. The next challenge ahead is Dakota Cochrane on read news >>

Nevada Drops the Hammer on Hector Lombard for Positive Steroids Drug Test

  • 26 days ago
  • 203 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission dropped the hammer on Hector Lombard after he tested positive for steroids at UFC 182. read news >>

Hector Lombard suspended one year, fined, has UFC 182 win overturned by NSAC

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard was suspended for one year, issued a fine and had his win over Josh Burkman overturned to a no-contest by the NSAC. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Hector Lombard suspended one year for positive UFC 182 steroid test

  • 26 days ago
  • 11 views

UC welterweight Hector Lombard was suspended for one year by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) on Monday, stemming from a failed drug test for the anabolic steroid desoxymethyltestosterone at UFC read news >>