gabriel-gonzaga-8.JPGUFC heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga has yet to appeal his loss to Travis Browne at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that any appeal would be forwarded to the state’s attorney general’s office, who would make the final decision on any possible change to the official result.

Kizer added he didn’t know of any “legal or factual” basis to change the decision.

Gonzaga (14-7 MMA, 10-6 UFC) and Browne (14-1-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) met on the FX-televised main card of the event, which took place this past Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Early in the first round, Browne delivered a series of devastating elbows to Gonzaga’s head as the Brazilian worked for a takedown against the fence. The fight was waved off after Gonzaga fell unconscious to the canvas.

At least one of the elbows in Browne’s onslaught clearly was illegal and hit the back of Gonzaga’s head, though the Brazilian appeared to lose consciousness prior to the blow. None of the elbow strikes appeared to be of the illegal “12-to-6? variety.

Many referees and commission representatives contend that illegal blows landed as the direct result of legal blows are not counted as fouls. So if Gonzaga went unconscious due to the previous elbows he took, Browne would not be held responsible for the illegal blow.

Gonzaga’s manager, Marco Alvan, announced on Monday he would file an appeal of the official decision, which was ruled a KO at the 1:11 mark of the first round.

“I need to review it to count how many illegal elbows, but it’s a fact that it was illegal,” he wrote. “I never [complain] about a [loss] who knows me know that I handle it good but illegal we can not accept.”

Alvan was unreachable for comment when contacted today.

The loss snapped a three-fight win streak for Gonzaga, a onetime UFC heavyweight title challenger who rejoined the UFC this past year after a nearly two-year layoff. Previously, he earned back-to-back submission wins over Ednaldo Oliveira and Ben Rothwell.

Browne, meanwhile, returned to the winner’s column following a first-round TKO loss to Antonio Silva.

Browne’s first UFC bout was marred by a similar controversy. Fighting James McSweeney at The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale, he was accused of landing illegal elbows that aided a first-round TKO win. McSweeney ultimately decided against an appeal.

For complete coverage of The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Gabriel Gonzaga)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC 207's Alex Garcia wants 'TUF' season between native Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico

  • 19 days ago
  • 4 views

As he prepares to face veteran Mike Pyle at UFC 207, welterweight Alex Garcia still hopes to one day have a UFC event in his native Dominican Republic. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Manager: Alex Oliveira will appeal UFC 207 no-contest against Tim Means, wants rematch

  • 18 days ago
  • 22 views

Alex Oliveira and his team are open to a rematch following a controversial no contest against Tim Means in the UFC Fight Pass-streamed opener of UFC 207. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Former UFC lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos says he's moving up to welterweight

  • 11 days ago
  • 13 views

Rafael dos Anjos is headed to a new weight class. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator bidding for UFC free agent and 'TUF' winner Ryan Bader – but not Lorenz Larkin

  • 12 days ago
  • 24 views

Bellator will soon make a bid for one high-profile UFC free agent. But its interest in another apparently has waned. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mark Hunt Files Lawsuit Against Brock Lesnar, Dana White and UFC | MMAWeekly.com

  • 7 days ago
  • 56 views

Mark Hunt has filed a civil lawsuit against the UFC, company president Dana White, and WWE Superstar Brock Lesnar. read news >>

UFC, 'TUF' vet Martin Svensson announces retirement 3 months after calling for Cage Warriors title shot

  • 4 days ago
  • 11 views

Only three months after winning in his return to the Cage Warriors promotion and calling for a lightweight title shot, Martin Svensson says he is retiring from MMA. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Floyd Mayweather claims he offered UFC champ Conor McGregor $15 million to fight

  • 6 days ago
  • 18 views

And on goes the saga of Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The UFC's best photos of 2016: Blood and sweat, bulging eyeballs and distorted faces

  • 2 days ago
  • 51 views

Take a look back at the best of the best UFC photos from 2016. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Photo Gallery, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Cody Garbrandt, T.J. Dillashaw announced as 'TUF 25' coaches for all-star season

  • 2 days ago
  • 3 views

The feud between UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt and former champion T.J. Dillashaw is headed to “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mark Hunt Sues UFC, Dana White, Brock Lesnar over UFC 200 Fight

  • 7 days ago
  • 23 views

Mark Hunt has filed a civil lawsuit against the UFC, President Dana White and Brock Lesnar over his fight with Lesnar at UFC 200, claiming the parties colluded for an unfair competitive environment. read news >>