NAAFS Champ Frank Caraballo Planning Quick Defense of His Belt

• submit to reddit

Frank CaraballoAfter a disappointing 2010 that saw him go 1-2, current NAAFS featherweight champion Frank “The Tank” Caraballo made changes to his training routine and has since won five fights in a row.

“A lot of my ground and wrestling is where I really had a lot of problems with, so I’ve really been working a lot on that,” Caraballo said of his training changes. “That’s been helping me a lot in my victories lately.”

The additions to Caraballo’s game comes after an extensive amateur career where he learned how to be a fighter first, which he feels has been invaluable to him in his nearly 30 combined fights.

“I think it’s important for these young guys to do a lot of amateur fights because you learn a lot of stuff fighting as an amateur,” he said. “You learn to relax, how to deal with losses and how to learn from your wins.

“You learn a lot and become a better pro, I think. That’s been a big part of my fighting, getting that experience.”

Caraballo is looking to use his experience and remain on his winning streak when he defends his NAAFS title on Saturday at Caged Vengeance 11 in Eastlake, Ohio, against up-and-comer Jeremy Czarnecki.

“As far as I know, he’s a wrestler, so I’m going to try to keep it standing, but if it goes to the ground, I’ll be comfortable there, too,” said Caraballo of Czarnecki. “It doesn’t really matter where it goes; I’m comfortable everywhere.

“As long as I work my game, there’s nothing he can do about it.”

Having been in the title picture for some time, Caraballo told MMAWeekly.com that he wouldn’t be the one feeling any added pressure Saturday night.

“I’m defending my title. It ain’t my first time, so I’m ready,” said Caraballo. “I look at it as he’s training to whoop on me, and I’m training to do the same thing (to him). I plan on finishing him by knocking him out or tapping him out quick.”

Currently 10-4 as a pro, Caraballo could be on the cusp of making a name for himself on the national stage. He feels the timing is right to step up, but still, he isn’t looking past Czarnecki on Saturday night.

“I feel I’m reaching my peak,” said Caraballo. “I’m hoping to get two or three more fights in this year and try to stay busy.

“I’ll just take it one fight at a time and not look ahead of the opponent that’s right in front of me. He’s going to have to knock me out or finish me to come get (my title if he wants it).”

(Photo courtesy of Frank Caraballo)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Bellator MMA featherweight champion Pat Curran will put his belt on the line against a familiar foe at Bellator 123.Filed under: Bellator, News more

• a day ago

WSOF middleweight champ David Branch will make his first title defense in a fight against onetime UFC title challenger Yushin Okami, the promotion announced today. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, WSOF more

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has heard Chad Mendes’ comments, and he’s not pleased.Filed under: News, UFC more

A featherweight title fight rematch between champion Pat Curran and Patricio ‘Pitbull’ Freire has been slotted for Bellator 123 in September. An intriguing rematch has between scheduled to take place at Bellator 123 in September, as featherweight champion Pat Curran meets Patricio Freire in the main event of the evening.
Although Bellator officials are yet to make a formal announcement regarding the title fight, the news was revealed by Combate.com and later confirmed by MMAFighting.com.
Curran more

UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and won't be able to defend his title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176.
MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight on Fox Sports 1 that UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and his UFC 176 headliner against Chad Mendes is cancelled.
This is terrible news for Jose Aldo fans who have had to endure cancelled fight after long injury induced layoffs between rare opportunites to see their man in the Octagon. Since becoming the UFC Featherwei more

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is injured and out of the pay-per-view main event against Chad Mendes, according to a report from UFC Tonight on Wednesday. more

UFC 176 received a huge blow tonight as Featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled title defense against Chad Mendes in the main event.
More bad Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) news.
UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo has suffered an injury and will be unable to defend his 145-pound title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176, which takes place at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 2, 2014.
No official statement was released from the promotion y more

LAS VEGAS – Former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber is a massive favorite over Alex Caceres at this weekend’s UFC 175 event, but “The California Kid” said he never concerned himself with how little he stands to gain with a win.Filed under: (...) more

After failing to wrest the belt from UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, former Olympian Sara McMann will face another champion in her next bout. more